OCZ 3200EB vs. Mushkin Lvl 1 Black 3200

RedScare

Limp Gawd
title says it all really. just wondering which one would be best. i plan to overclock. i will be running the following:
NF7-S v.2
Athlon Mobile XP 2600+
Antec True550 PSU

i hear that the OCZ is the better memory for overclocking. i would like to take it maybe up to 230, but im not the type to try to see just how high i can hit (not gonna be shooting for 250 or anything crazy like that). just a modest overclock. the OCZ is $25 more than the Mushkin. what do you guys think i should go for? $250 vs. $275 shipped.

or i could add another $25 and spring for the OCZ 3500EB...too many choices. i would spring for the 3500 if it was REALLY a significant performance increase over the 3200...keep in mind im not shooting for the 240-250 fsb overclock now

any advice?

oh, and please no lectures on OCZ ethics and shady business dealings in the past. i read the whole thread and i can make up my own mind on the matter. thanks.

Here's the deal. The Level I pc3200 (based on CH-5 chips) will MOST LIKELY drop you just short of 225-230MHz at 2-3-3-11 timings with 2.9v (max on your nf7) It could take you to 230 or even higher, but that doesn't happen so often. If you had as much 3.3v to give it, you may have been able to make it to 240-250 at even 2-2-2-11 timings, as many people have been getting with newer CH-5 modules.

I have the EB PC3200. At 2.9v, this memory did 240Mhz 3-2-2-11 on a Infinity (CPC ON). You're pretty much guaranteed similiar results. So the choice is yours. I don't think the extra cost of the Pc3500 will be worth it to you...as you only want 230ish.

thanks for the response...i have been leaning toward the EB 3200 but just wanted some more input.

OCZ is bad period. I'd avoid them on name alone and get Kingston ValueRAM instead, and I hate that shit. :eek:

You ~might~ get the OCZ to OC more. Or you might get a gigantic headache from buying complete crap. Get some decent Corsair, Geil, or anything else, rather than risking your money on a place like OCZ.

can you explain why you believe ocz to be complete crap please? id be more inclined to take your advice to heart if you provided some links to reviews or something which backed up your statement. personal experience would even suffice...

1. OCZ used to buy reviews... pay people to review favorably. Kyle was one who turned them down.
2. OCZ is well known for making ram that doesn't meet standards, see below.
3. They lied about the PC133, by selling PC100 that would ~sometimes~ OC to 133. They traded hands when they got cought, almost went out of business. They refused to support their products.
4. They've been caught grinding the labels off of RAM chips so they could sell them as their own, with no ratings on them, or tell you false ratings.
5. They sold many batches of PC2100 that failed to make spec, it was unstable and unreliable at best. They almost went out of business again.
6. They sold Silver Thermal Compound with NO SILVER in it. They claimed 99% anodized silver.
7. They lied about things time and time again.
8. They bounced checks to people.
9. They're just generally untrustworthy.

Stay away. You can get better, more reliable stuff for the same price. Corsair, Crucial, Kingston, Geil, Mushkin... No reason to gamble on OCZ. Hell. Ask Kyle.

http://forums.procooling.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=2148&page=3&pp=25
http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?p=1026229141#post1026229141
http://www.thehardwarereviewer.com/OCZ_2.html (read first line)
http://www.abxzone.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-36033.html
http://www.nexushardware.com/articles/index.php?id=1

RedScare said:
oh, and please no lectures on OCZ ethics and shady business dealings in the past. i read the whole thread and i can make up my own mind on the matter. thanks.

like i said, i am fully aware of all the problems ocz has had in the past. i am not looking for moral reasons to buy or not buy the ram. as far as i have heard they have really improved the quality of their product lately...and that is what im asking for input on. the performance of their ram at PRESENT. not how it used to be, etc...and i have read all the nasty things ocz has done in the past. when the time comes i will take all that into consideration when i actually buy something.

You're asking now. I gave my opinion. The thermal paste incident was this year. I don't buy a drop of the B.S. they're feeding people. There is no reason to buy them, Corsair or Mushkin will perform equally, if not better, and you don't have to worry about the OCZ warranty merry-go-round. You KNOW you got a good product, and one that will be supported.

Caveat Emptor.

lopoetve, we have a warranty merry-go-round? Last I checked we have the fastest RMA and Tech Support team in the business.

bleed3r said:
Oh yeah, their bad period. They definatly arent some of the best sticks out there today. :rolleyes:
yeah, definatly go for the value ram instead of anything to do with ocz :rolleyes:

Like Mushkin or Corsair can't do the same, and have no worries about the company, eh?

Caveat Emptor. They screwed people over several times, why not go with a real, dependable company, and get the same thing?

OCTech said:
lopoetve, we have a warranty merry-go-round? Last I checked we have the fastest RMA and Tech Support team in the business.

:rolleyes:

After what you did, I will never, ever buy OCZ again. Ever. I don't care if Jesus pays you a visit and the second Rapture comes about due to you. You're done, in my book, and most experienced system builders feel the same way. Corsair or Mushkin will do the same, have better histories of support and designing products, and don't have the besmirched image that you DO have. Why buy from a shady dealer and gamble, when you can get something that you KNOW is good?

I'm done in this thread. Caveat Emptor. If you feel fine buying from a company that originally set out to steal peoples' money, then so be it, I can't stop you. I will, however, never support them, and continue to point out their background to every person who asks. OCZ is no better than Enron, or any other place rife with corruption.

I just wish somebody could ask a question and get an answer around here without having everybody come in and attack us because they asked about our product.

OCTech said:
I just wish somebody could ask a question and get an answer around here without having everybody come in and attack us because they asked about our product.

as do i :(

so...like i said NO LECTURES ON MORALITY please. i know about the company's past and will weigh that appropriately when the time comes to purchase my RAM. right now im just asking about PERFORMANCE. so if anyone has any experience with the afore-mentioned RAM i would love to hear about it (good or bad). :)

Back