OCZ 1000w Power Supply Duel @ [H]

FrgMstr

Just Plain Mean
Staff member
OCZ 1000w Power Supply Duel - We take two very similar OCZ desktop power supplies and give them a through evaluation while getting to the bottom of just what is the true difference between the GameXStream and ProXStream line of PSUs from OCZ. Spend your cash wisely!

Given the current 1000 watt OCZ line up, it should have just one product in the 1000w range rather than two and that one product is certainly not the GameXStream in its current form. The ProXStream on the other hand was everything the GameXStream should have been though much louder. Priced at $269.99 after MIR in e-tail the ProXStream 1000w is certainly on the less expensive end of 1000w power supplies, meets its advertised specifications, and is well built making it a good value if users can live the noise the unit makes.

Really good read. I'm surprised to see that the GameXStream didn't perform as well as I thought it would have.

Really good read. I'm surprised to see that the GameXStream didn't perform as well as I thought it would have.

I was also suprised and spent a large amount of time working with two different units.

I'm sorry... but where's the surprise. Really?

GameXStream:

We're talking about an FSP Epsilon base. Something that works well at low wattage and can be pushed to higher wattages, but goes out of whack at exponential intervals at higher wattage outputs, if it can even achive those wattages in the first place.

I'm not surprised with the results at all.

ProXStream:

Of course this PSU did well. It's a "modified" server PSU from a company with a lineage in server PSU's. But server PSU's are loud due to there design which incorporates near bullet proof topology cooled with uncomprimising airflow. I think the ProXStream rivals even Turbo-Cool PSU's toe to toe... but who wants to put up with the noise of either?

If the GameXStream doesn't comply with standards, how are they nVidia SLI Ready approved? I just bought one of these to build a 8800gtx sli system, should I return it or sell it and get something else?

If the GameXStream doesn't comply with standards, how are they nVidia SLI Ready approved?

Because NVIDIA's certification process has nothing to do with standards compliance. The certification process is simply just not that rigorous.

Because NVIDIA's certification process has nothing to do with standards compliance. The certification process is simply just not that rigorous.

So if I use this PSU for my system and things start to go wrong, who is to blame? I didn't look that long and hard into the decision, I just read that the psu should be at least 800 with the 4 pci-e connectors and the 1010 was a good deal. I guess too good. Should I try and get something like a TT ToughPower?

What floors me is that in the testing, it couldn't even get above 85% of its rated load. That means it's an 850-860W PSU, not a 1010W PSU. Granted, the PSU may not be rated for 1010W at 45C, but it shouldn't lose 15% of its capability.

What floors me is that in the testing, it couldn't even get above 85% of its rated load. That means it's an 850-860W PSU, not a 1010W PSU. Granted, the PSU may not be rated for 1010W at 45C, but it shouldn't lose 15% of its capability.

FSP specs a decent sized derating of 10w per degree C above 25c for the 700w Epsilon as it reads

De-rate 10W/℃ from 25℃ to 35℃

So if the 1010w is in the same range we run right into that derating curve.

Great review Paul. I hope with the reorganization of the front page that you guys keep the great psu reviews coming in. After all, if it weren't for people like you and jonnyGURU we wouldn't have reviews that actually tell us about the psu besides stuff like "it looks purty" and "it's got some pretty sleeving" type reviews.;)

Nice review, Paul.

It just goes to show how things are always changing - one day Thermaltake hooks up with CWT, the next day OCZ is selling crap on a stick rated at 1010W - after acquiring PC Power and Cooling. What's that legal footer for financial adverts? Something like "Past performance is no guarantee of future results". Indeed.

Thanks for helping us invest our money wisely!

FSP specs a decent sized derating of 10w per degree C above 25c for the 700w Epsilon as it reads

So if the 1010w is in the same range we run right into that derating curve.
Ah, thanks for pointing that out.

It just goes to show how things are always changing - one day Thermaltake hooks up with CWT, the next day OCZ is selling crap on a stick rated at 1010W - after acquiring PC Power and Cooling.

Thermaltake's been with CWT since before OCZ went FSP IIRC, and the GXS 1010 predates the deal with PC P&C ;)

Nice review, Paul.

It just goes to show how things are always changing - one day Thermaltake hooks up with CWT, the next day OCZ is selling crap on a stick rated at 1010W - after acquiring PC Power and Cooling. What's that legal footer for financial adverts? Something like "Past performance is no guarantee of future results". Indeed.

Thanks for helping us invest our money wisely!

So what does this have to do with the acquisition of PC Power & Cooling??
Didn`t the 1010 come out before....

Anyways,,,things don`t change over night and word is that OCZ will be consolidating there own lines of PSU`s into one....
thats what i am hearing though...

Peace!!

Thermaltake's been with CWT since before OCZ went FSP IIRC, and the GXS 1010 predates the deal with PC P&C ;)
So what does this have to do with the acquisition of PC Power & Cooling??
Didn`t the 1010 come out before....
Ok, yes, I got the timing messed up. :p The point of my post was not 100% chronological accuracy. Thermaltake products are over-bling'ed crap except for their CWT PSUs, whereas the GameXtreme was a great line when it first debuted with the 520W, IIRC.

The point is that there was a time not-so-long ago that I would have taken an OCZ PSU over any Thermaltake PSU - but thanks to reliable reviews from Paul and Jonny (and OKW), I can make wiser decisions.

...whereas the GameXtreme was a great line when it first debuted with the 520W, IIRC.

You're thinking of the Topower built PowerStream. Not the GameXStream. GameXStream started with 600W and they were always FSP Epsilons.

You're thinking of the Topower built PowerStream. Not the GameXStream. GameXStream started with 600W and they were always FSP Epsilons.

You are of course correct. Now that the gist of my original post is completely lost, I'll offer the following summary:

It's great that we have reviews from Paul and Jonny.

Ouch, knockdown blow for both as far as I'm concerned. One with ripple issues and blatant lies on the packaging and the other one with an 80mm fan.

Perhaps stating the obvious, but damn, this type of testing is infinitely more valuable than "well I ran a software utility and the rails are SO STABLE. I'm super serial."

Nowadays I'll only consider purchasing/recommending power supplies reviewed by an independent source with a load tester.

Back