Oculus Touch Pre-Order Listed At $250 In The UK

HardOCP News

[H] News
Pre-orders for the Oculus Touch are listed for $250 in the UK. Damn! That's a little more than I thought they were going to go for. That still makes a complete set (Rift + Touch) about the same as buying the HTC Vive but still, I thought they would come in at around $150 or so.

Quoting the UK price in USD is kind of misleading. Prices don't usually get straight converted like that for US <-> UK transitions. Their prices all include a 20% VAT that ours don't.

Rift itself is 549 pounds which is $712. If touch is 189 pounds it will probably be $199.

^Right. $200 sounds correct and would match the Vive price when added to the baseline Oculus.

Given VAT and other fun issues of selling stuff in europe, usually you can skip the conversion and swap a dollar sign for the pound sign and be close. But that was when the pound was running at $1.50-$1.75 in value. So I'd guess about $165-180.

I remember the argument sometimes being made that because the Oculus was cheaper than the Vive, that it was a plus.

I had to explain that with the controllers and shipping cost, the price of both VR setups was going to be approximately the same... so the fact that the Vive was ready with their controllers from the start made it the plus. Some tried to argue the controllers were going to be much cheaper, and I don't see that here.

I have the Vive, and my opinion on VR is that it is still in its infancy and waiting on future generations can't hurt. First up is the coarse resolution, which can be improved upon with supersampling, which leads to the second obstacle which is hardware powerful enough to run with that. The lack of power already makes GTX 1080 + VR owners dream about owning faster cards as soon as they can be released.

I saw some leaked screenshots from a Best Buy flier indicating the Touch would be $199. I think Oculus was smart by staggering the release dates like this, it helps give the false impression that it is cheaper, and helps people budget the system in so they can get VR now instead of saving up for the whole shebang. Having a sticker price of $600 for VR is really going to resonate with ignorant buyers compared to the $800 vive, however it is those ignorant buyers that are going to be a huge chunk of you audience eventually. Also there's a lot of good VR games that simply dont need Touch. I myself actually prefer the platformer games in VR now which obviously just use a controller.

They staggered the release because the controllers weren't ready, none of their games were ready, and it would have fucked over everyone who had been making xbox controller based games for 2 years.

The number of regular controller games being developed will fall off a cliff after touch comes out.

Will they lower the price of the Rift or even lower as a bundle? If not than it'll be tough for most people to choose this over Vive, especially if HTC decide to lower their price.

"Launch day delivery"

Hope that goes better than the actual Rift launch where backers were sitting around holding their dicks and Best Buy was getting stock of the headsets.

"Launch day delivery"

Hope that goes better than the actual Rift launch where backers were sitting around holding their dicks and Best Buy was getting stock of the headsets.

Shady practices seem to surround the Rift. I went Vive...

Will they lower the price of the Rift or even lower as a bundle? If not than it'll be tough for most people to choose this over Vive, especially if HTC decide to lower their price.

Why? Rift is lighter, it has the same or better IQ depending on who you ask, it has a more convenient audio solution, it has exclusive games, it has as good or better motion controllers depending on who you ask, it will be able to play almost if not all currently vive exclusive games.

The only thing it's lacking is included (as far as we know) support for a tracking volume similar to the vive's. All they'd need to do for that though is longer cables and mounting brackets for the cameras.

As a vive owner, I actually think HTC needs to improve some minor things (cable, headstrap) in order to stay competitive at the same price.

Shady practices seem to surround the Rift. I went Vive...

HTC is fine, as long as you don't have to interact with their support in any way. I have heard nothing but nightmares on that front.

The latest thing is apparently they won't repair an out of warranty vive, even if you want to pay for it.

Are reviews up for Touch? Sorry, I must've missed them... I'm all for one being clearly superior to the other to make the choice easier, not "depending on who you ask"...

Why? Rift is lighter, it has the same or better IQ depending on who you ask, it has a more convenient audio solution, it has exclusive games, it has as good or better motion controllers depending on who you ask, it will be able to play almost if not all currently vive exclusive games.

The only thing it's lacking is included (as far as we know) support for a tracking volume similar to the vive's. All they'd need to do for that though is longer cables and mounting brackets for the cameras.

As a vive owner, I actually think HTC needs to improve some minor things (cable, headstrap) in order to stay competitive at the same price.

OR stopped blocking exclusive games from Vive users. Happened back in June.

I agree with the cable. That was the one thing I liked about the OR. Vive support said the smaller cable still isn't out in mass quantities yet and there is no way to be guaranteed one. But at least it shows HTC is working to make a better product.

I found the headstrap just needs a tweak or two. I do like the vive's fit over the OR. I can play DCS with the vive for 4 hours without issue but the OR bugs me after an hour.

To each their own I guess.

OR now gets that nice login powered by facebook. Sooo there is that.

HTC is fine, as long as you don't have to interact with their support in any way. I have heard nothing but nightmares on that front.

The latest thing is apparently they won't repair an out of warranty vive, even if you want to pay for it.

I completely disagree having used their support a few times. With regard to warranty my head strap had an issue and they immediately shipped out another for free. No questions asked they just wanted a photo.

How would anyone know they won't repair out of warranty devices considering its a 12 month warranty and the devices launched April 5th? No Vive should be out of warranty.

Now damage not covered by the warranty is a whole different matter.

Back