Oculus Rift Update Enables Full-Scale Piracy

HardOCP News

[H] News
It must suck to release an update designed to remove Vive compatibility but you end up enabling full-scale piracy instead. Maybe Oculus should hire this guy to make sure this doesn't happen again in the future.

On May 22, Oculus released an update that introduced "platform integrity checks" which, among other things, closed the loophole allowing Revive to make Rift games compatible with Vive. Revive's developer, however, has found a workaround that bypasses Oculus' ownership check completely.

The whole oculus tuft platform seems like a piece of garbage now.

Yeah, tuft to get my money now.

We take the security, functionality and integrity of our system software very seriously and people should expect that hacked games won't work indefinitely as regular updates to content, apps and our platform may break the hacks."

So basically Oculus is going to keep punching users in the dick until they stop trying to use Vive hardware.

It's a new market, they should start working with Vive hardware (or at least tolerate it) so they can establish the PC VR ecosystem.

The funny thing is occulus was the one saying "Don't poison the well"

they've gone back on everything that made them sound good, it sucks.
I'm sure Palmer Luckey originally had good intentions, but then he had no issue selling his soul to Facebook. As soon as that happened people should have automatically disregarded any promises Oculus had made up to that point.

It's much like the google glass. Give it another 5 years. Should be some cool stuff out. At least you aren't a glasshole.

A lot of people expected exactly this when Facebook took over.

At first I did not mind the Facebook acquisition but now this bullshit sealed the deal. When I can finally afford VR it is not going to be an Oculus Rift.

So first off the new patch doesn't enable piracy. The guy that wrote the revive patch decided the only way to get the revive hack to work was full DRM circumvention, so he did.

1) reVive still works, no change
2) Games still get cracked, not really news.

The market will sort out weather or not any of this is a good idea or not. 3Dfx did a lot of this kind of shit early on. You could play a glide game with a wrapper, then 3Dfx would update their SDK and break wrappers. It's so sad that the 3D accelerator market died because of this and now nobody makes GPUs.

The market will sort out weather or not any of this is a good idea or not. 3Dfx did a lot of this kind of shit early on. You could play a glide game with a wrapper, then 3Dfx would update their SDK and break wrappers. It's so sad that the 3D accelerator market died because of this and now nobody makes GPUs.

Just imagine if the console's had access to those GPU's .. might be able to see games above 720p60!

II assume you all are just as angry at Valve's proprietary, closed source, distribution and DRM platform known as Steam, correct?

This is why I'm not an early adopter. The entire proprietary bullshit to this kind of hardware is nonsensical. All of it. I'm staying away for good it seems.

II assume you all are just as angry at Valve's proprietary, closed source, distribution and DRM platform known as Steam, correct?
Steam benefits the consumer by offering a reliable highspeed distribution network for content. We are willing to accept the tradeoff between DRM and the convenience their platform offers. Oculus's decision benefits no one but themselves.

I wonder how closely Palmer and his closest teammates parallels the HBO show Silicon Valley in relation to the whole Facebook/CEO takeover

This is kind of like the early days of 3D. I bought a Monster 3D - some of the software only worked with 3Dfx chips. Verite(?) was another popular chipset. Really, until Direct3D, we had a mess.

The Oculus issue is different. It's not so much a driver issue - its the vendors adding a check to make sure you have their hardware. Dick move.
This is another reason I've talked myself into sitting on the sidelines with VR. Let this kind of shit happen. Let them make better hardware/cheaper. Let the developers make better software.

The market will sort out weather or not any of this is a good idea or not.
You mean good FOR FACEBOOK. This isn't good for end users from pretty much any perspective.

I don't know about "just as angry", but yeah, you're right. I don't like Steam's way of doing things either. As far as I'm concerned, GOG is the only one during things right as far as protecting the end user. That said, there are two big differences between what's going on here v. Steam:

1. This is fledgling technology. It needs to get off the ground, pulling shit like hurts everyone involved. VR will probably still be fine, but it's disappointing to see this. It's the difference between punching a toddler v. punching a grown man.
2. Steam's DRM is relatively weak. There have been Steam emulators for over a decade, so while I don't like the extra DRM, it's "less likely" to stop you from being able to play your game.

Last edited:
So basically Oculus is going to keep punching users in the dick until they stop trying to use Vive hardware.

Funny how they decide to go for exclusivity over... making a better product.

Funny how they decide to go for exclusivity over... making a better product.
Superiority through forced mediocrity. It's little wonder why Oculus was making a hissy fit out of the possibility of Vive or Sony VR launching before them.

Back