Oculus Rift to Produce Only One Version for PC and Android

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
Oculus Rift’s CEO has gone on the record that the Oculus Rift headset will only be released as one version, not separate sets for PC and Android as previously reported. The single version will operate on a variety of devices and possibly mobile devices on down the road.

"I think people will be pretty surprised with what set of devices we're able to make this work on. We are focused on just a few right now, basically just to stay focused so that we can deliver a great experience on a couple devices first."

That version looks slightly less bulky than the dev version but it still has the same basic problem. You cant see your kbd/mouse/anything in front of you while you use it. Its a nice piece of kit to show off but for me its useless as an everyday gaming device.

That version looks slightly less bulky than the dev version but it still has the same basic problem. You cant see your kbd/mouse/anything in front of you while you use it. Its a nice piece of kit to show off but for me its useless as an everyday gaming device.
I wouldn't consider this a problem. I know where my keyboard and mouse are without looking. If you have to look at your keyboard and mouse every moment, I think you're too young and inexperienced to be using the Oculus Rift / playing computer games to begin with.

I wouldn't consider this a problem. I know where my keyboard and mouse are without looking. If you have to look at your keyboard and mouse every moment, I think you're too young and inexperienced to be using the Oculus Rift / playing computer games to begin with.

Hardly, i've been gaming for over 20 years. Besides, only an idiot would use a person's age or experience at gaming to device the suitability of a device like this.

So this is where you have started posting inane bullshit.

That is true. But the challenge might lie if you play simulations, but that too can be overcome, since the latest simulations have accurately modeled 3D cockpits. The solution in this case would be a pointing device that would translate real world motion into virtual motion within the 3D environment you're playing in.

So this is where you have started posting inane bullshit.

One might misinterpret what he said. But his statement holds true - the first part, that is.

I never have to look at my keyboard or mouse when playing, either. The only exception being flight simulations. And only when using functions not on my HOTAS setup, i.e. keyboard.

lolwut? Young and inexperienced? That's got to be one of the worst attempts at elitist bullshit I've ever heard.

One might misinterpret what he said. But his statement holds true - the first part, that is.

I never have to look at my keyboard or mouse when playing, either. The only exception being flight simulations. And only when using functions not on my HOTAS setup, i.e. keyboard.

Even the first part is only partly true at best. Yes, I know where all the keys on my keyboard are as I'm sure most people of my generation do as most of us grew up with computers. However, if I can't see the keyboard out of the corner of my eye, the chances of misplacing my hands is significantly higher, and the time it takes to correctly position them is far longer if I can't see the keyboard.

I'm typing this message without looking directly at the keyboard, but none the less, if I couldn't see it out of the corner of my eye, it would be a more difficult task (not impossible, but definitely tricksier).

If you have to look down to your keyboard while playing, you're doing it wrong, noob.

Lol. I guess it isn't for everyone. Next you'll complain about a hat blocking part of the sky from your view

Its sufficient to say you don't like it :)

Umm, most pc gamers don't have a need to look at their keyboard or mouse....our hands on on them and we know where the keys are.

Even the first part is only partly true at best. Yes, I know where all the keys on my keyboard are as I'm sure most people of my generation do as most of us grew up with computers. However, if I can't see the keyboard out of the corner of my eye, the chances of misplacing my hands is significantly higher, and the time it takes to correctly position them is far longer if I can't see the keyboard.

I'm typing this message without looking directly at the keyboard, but none the less, if I couldn't see it out of the corner of my eye, it would be a more difficult task (not impossible, but definitely tricksier).
The best way to ween yourself from the compulsion to look at your keyboard is to take typing lessons. There are lots of freebies online. There is a proper way to lay your fingers on the keyboard. It should become second nature to you. Automatic when you use the keyboard. asdf - jkl; thumbs on the space bar. Once this happens, no matter what keyboard you use, you just instinctively become comfortable with it. No need to look at it at all.

But lets get this more back on track......I'm just wondering as occulus can be used with low power android/mobile devices then how much gpu performance is it going to need on the pc?.....not sure if uptake of occulus through developers is going to be wide spread enough...but if it is then I'd consider not buying a 144hz monitor and just use the Rift....in that case may not need an expensive graphics card upgrade?...any views on this?

That would kinda defeat the purpose on what the device is trying to do if you could peak out of the corner somewhere. Its trying to fully immerse your view into screen and not have anything peaking through it. It will never small like glasses, its always going to be big and bulky because of the screen size they use.

The best way to ween yourself from the compulsion to look at your keyboard is to take typing lessons. There are lots of freebies online. There is a proper way to lay your fingers on the keyboard. It should become second nature to you. Automatic when you use the keyboard. asdf - jkl; thumbs on the space bar. Once this happens, no matter what keyboard you use, you just instinctively become comfortable with it. No need to look at it at all.

I've never liked laying my fingers over asdf jkl;, I end up getting cramps after a short time.but either way, I'm not talking about staring at the keyboard, I'm talking about glancing or seeing it out of the corner of your eye in order locate the keys better. If you completely take the keyboard out of sight, it's tricksier to get your hands in the right place and easier to misplace them. I don't often look AT the keyboard, but I can pretty much always see it out of the corner of my eyes.

One of the great application for this occulist rift is flight sim. Yet, in a flight sim, you do have to take your eye off the screen to look at various buttons on the throttle unit, or even a mock-up MFD. If a person is going to spend on this, you know he's enthusiastic enough to spend on these flight sim equipment.

One of the great application for this occulist rift is flight sim. Yet, in a flight sim, you do have to take your eye off the screen to look at various buttons on the throttle unit, or even a mock-up MFD. If a person is going to spend on this, you know he's enthusiastic enough to spend on these flight sim equipment.
What we need now is an Oculus Fist, a glove that you wear that contains over a dozen sensors for detection of orientation, speed, accurate and precise finger movements, etcetera. Now you can go play DC A-10 Thunderbolt and use your hands and fingers!

I've never liked laying my fingers over asdf jkl;, I end up getting cramps after a short time.but either way, I'm not talking about staring at the keyboard, I'm talking about glancing or seeing it out of the corner of your eye in order locate the keys better. If you completely take the keyboard out of sight, it's tricksier to get your hands in the right place and easier to misplace them. I don't often look AT the keyboard, but I can pretty much always see it out of the corner of my eyes.
Perhaps a future version of Oculus Rift could have an infrared sensor on the front that could be used to identify where keyboard and mouse are at, and then they could be indicated on HUD. Being immersed, such indicators could give you enough information to instinctively know how far and where exactly your other connect peripherals are at.

The first competitive games for VR headset will be cockpit simulators (driving, flying, ..). If you are serious about a game you don't need to look at the controls, so you will be fine. Especially in racing games.

Can't wait to try out the final version of the Oculus.

What we need now is an Oculus Fist, a glove that you wear that contains over a dozen sensors for detection of orientation, speed, accurate and precise finger movements, etcetera. Now you can go play DC A-10 Thunderbolt and use your hands and fingers!

Extend you arm and wave around. Check how long can you do it and report back with your brilliant ideas.

Mavis Beacon: Oculus Rift Edition

...would be helpful

I've never liked laying my fingers over asdf jkl;

I would like to know who even started that fad with awsd begin default keys, sorry but makes more sense for people to use sedf because you can feel the F key on any keyboard so you dont use your place plus more buttons to assign....And if this gamer that cannot stop looking at his keyboard while gaming sir try those keys because the point of the F & J keys is to find out where you are on the keyboard...

Perhaps a future version of Oculus Rift could have an infrared sensor on the front that could be used to identify where keyboard and mouse are at, and then they could be indicated on HUD. Being immersed, such indicators could give you enough information to instinctively know how far and where exactly your other connect peripherals are at.
Oculus Fist sounds like some rule 34 thing :eek: :p

Though it would be interesting to see how such a thing would work. I feel like it could be disorientating if the game FOV doesn't line up bang on with real world FOV exactly or there's any tiny calibration errors.
And if this gamer that cannot stop looking at his keyboard while gaming sir try those keys because the point of the F & J keys is to find out where you are on the keyboard...
I don't think you really got the gist of my post. There are touchy feely ways to locate yourself on a keyboard regardless of whether you use WASD or SEDF, it's just easier if you can see it out of the corner of your eye.

WASD or SEDF doesn't make a lot of difference IMO for locating yourself on the keyboard, SEDF you use the little nodule on F, but WASD is easy to locate quickly because it's near enough to the edge of the keyboard that you can locate WASD by feeling the tab/caps/shift button with your little finger. It really makes very little difference.

If I take my hands off the keyboard and close my eyes and then locate them on the keyboard, it takes much the same amount of time to find WASD as it does to find SEDF... still much slower than if I had my eyes open :p

Also my comment on not liking ASDF JKL; was related to typing, not gaming. I don't find it comfortable for typing to cramp my hands up over ASDF JKL;. Yes, I have taken typing lessons, yes I stopped taking typing lessons when I found out the way I was apparently "supposed" to be typing was less comfortable than the way I was already typing and probably wouldn't actually make me any faster anyway.

But with the blast shield down, i cant even see. how am I suppose to fight

Your eyes can deceive you, don't trust them

Sorry but this is such a nonsense arguments for a vr headset device

Also my comment on not liking ASDF JKL; was related to typing, not gaming. I don't find it comfortable for typing to cramp my hands up over ASDF JKL;. Yes, I have taken typing lessons, yes I stopped taking typing lessons when I found out the way I was apparently "supposed" to be typing was less comfortable than the way I was already typing and probably wouldn't actually make me any faster anyway.

I think the point of learning the other way is because it's proven to be faster overall even if it isn't for you. I can't imagine you can type over 100 wpm with some made up way of typing like many people can using the ASDF JKL; method.

I think the point of learning the other way is because it's proven to be faster overall even if it isn't for you. I can't imagine you can type over 100 wpm with some made up way of typing like many people can using the ASDF JKL; method.
I'm pretty close to 90 WPM depending on what I'm typing and how awake I am at the time. If I'm not overly awake and what I'm typing has a lot of big words that I don't know how to spell without thinking, it drops to about 60. My job doesn't involve a lot of typing, most the typing I do is chatting on forums, I'm sure if I typed more, I'd be faster.

ASDF JKL; is a bit over rated IMO. I'm not saying I can type as fast as someone who does that as their job, but I think the optimal hand positioning varies from person to person. I position my index fingers on A and J, but then I just rest all my other fingers where they naturally lie and type each key with whatever finger is closest to the key at that time, rather than uncomfortably curling my fingers over ASDF JKL; and forcing specific fingers on to specific keys.

Though I feel we are going a bit off topic now :p Point remains, it's beneficial to see the keyboard out of the corner of your eye to locate your hands, doesn't mean you are staring at the keyboard, but knowing where it lies is somewhat useful!

Back