Oculus Rift Priced At $600

I have the hardware to run it. I am excited about the technology. Heck, I'm a 4k early adopter. That being said, I am having a bit of an issue with the price. $500 without the controller? I probably would have bit.

Vive looks way better on may different fronts. I've pay $600 for the Vive. Not for the Rift.

Pretty sure that's total resolution. So 1080x1200 per eye.

Thanks, you are correct 2160 x 1200 is the total resolution across two separate displays within the headset. Doesn't really sound that bad, but it's the 90fps rate target that hurts.

Wow. They just opened the door for Valve to rip them a new one. If the HTC/Valve units come in at $299-$399, they'll steal the market.

Valve could very well use it as a way to drive Steam sales even higher.

Given it uses more devices (lighthouses I think they call them) to track you I personally expect to see a higher not lower price point.

Big goof. SONY is going to own VR with a reasonable priced unit for the PS4

You expect it to be at a reasonable price? I know one person pulled out of their ass that they think it will be cheaper but I think that person is a little off. The PS4 can't process the data on its own so you have to buy a separate unit that has a separate GPU that is used only for the VR headset. I know the current analysis guess is $400 - $550. I personally would see at best it being at the upper end of that due to the extra hardware of the GPU unit to plug into the console. They do have the option of not making as much money as they have other ways to get you. Kind of like how consoles sells don't have to make them $500 per unit sold for them to make money. Oculus is screwed there some as they don't make anything off the games, only the units sold so they have to make more at that point. They have to make money somehow after all. So you can't compare them apples to apples. Which still I don't consider $550 vs $600 to be that massive of a difference. If anything I think it will be more the mentality of spending money on stuff when looking at pc vs console gamers. console gamers are more willing to spend money as they aren't putting as much into the cost of their setup as a pc gamer is going to be.

I have the hardware to run it. I am excited about the technology. Heck, I'm a 4k early adopter. That being said, I am having a bit of an issue with the price. $500 without the controller? I probably would have bit.

The controller is pretty much getting supplied to them from Microsoft for nothing.

Maybe... Depends on the games and the experience.

I would upgrade my system to support it, though. The price is steep, but I'm sure when there is enough software and the hardware is more than enough to run it smoothly, the price will be much less. I don't want to buy it and then just be able to run demos and such after upgrading my PC, then the good games come out and I need another upgrade. I'll wait until the good games show up, then upgrade my PC and buy this.

they need to announce some big time games that support VR (besides EVE: Valkyrie) otherwise it's just an expensive prototype used for demo purposes...same way I use my 3D Blu-ray's to show off a few cool 3D scenes

I'll wait till some more interesting games can utilize the headset before I commit to buying it. Specifically some nice racing games or flight simulators.

Considering it takes a $330 video card to go with it (and possibly a power supply upgrade)

That makes the entry a cool $1000

I wish them luck. I make a good six digits a year and that's a stretch for even me.

Don't recall, but fact is that Oculus and Microsoft have a partnership and you can bet your ass that Oculus isn't paying full price for each one of those controllers. Certainly not enough to drop the price of the kit $50 to $100 like people are asking for.

Don't recall, but fact is that Oculus and Microsoft have a partnership and you can bet your ass that Oculus isn't paying full price for each one of those controllers. Certainly not enough to drop the price of the kit $50 to $100 like people are asking for.

They likely are paying cost or slightly over depending on price breaks for order quantities.

As reported earlier, it is 1080x1200 per eye at 90fps.
Thats 1.25x 1440p res in total.

Compared to 60fps gaming at 1440p, to keep the same quality at 90fps it needs over twice the GPU power and thats assuming there is no overhead for 3D processsing.
My 980ti wont be able to run games at full quality.
Regardless, mines on the way, a mate ordered 2 using his business and home CCards :D

You cannot place more than 1 order per card and address, and if you screw up during the order, you lost your chance to pre-order.
So be sure to fully complete every part of what you see on screen, including when it asks you if you want to be put in line for the new controller !!
If not, the order will time out and you cant do it again.
He lost one order because of this.

If it's actually good, that seems like a good early adopter price. Surprised by some of the surprise in this thread. It's priced for people that want to be first and don't care about growing pains.

No, I won't buy it, I'm not interested enough in being an early adopter. It'll come down when it's more mature. This entire genre of technology has been playing the long game with their strategy. No ones rushing out a turd and shoving it down the throat of the masses. A nice change of pace.

Compared to 60fps gaming at 1440p, to keep the same quality at 90fps it needs over twice the GPU power and thats assuming there is no overhead for 3D processsing.
My 980ti wont be able to run games at full quality.
Regardless, mines on the way, a mate ordered 2 using his business and home CCards :D

You cannot place more than 1 order per card and address, and if you screw up during the order, you lost your chance to pre-order.
So be sure to fully complete every part of what you see on screen, including when it asks you if you want to be put in line for the new controller !!
If not, the order will time out and you cant do it again.
He lost one order because of this.

Don't forget that games developed for the rift are targeting the rift minimum specs and likely won't have as high graphical settings. I recall reading that a lot of the rendering stuff in your typical title isn't necessary in VR. Or at the very least the developers are optimizing for VR acceptable frame rates as much as possible.

Purchased. $670 after taxes and shipping... A little higher than I expected but the $599 price tag probably helped me get a March ship date instead of May so no real complaints other than the ripoff of $35 for shipping. I hope it's shipped overnight for that price.

i wonder if they are having manufacturing difficulty with cell phone competition.

or the more profit to be made, [before more competitors arrive] improves the chances of the tech surviving.

With how much people are paying for over-hyped monitors this past year and accepting terrible quality for said prices, I don't understand the hate here..........

Big goof. SONY is going to own VR with a reasonable priced unit for the PS4

You realize Sony is not only going to need to sell people a headset but also an external GPU to power the headset? I doubt they will be able to come in much cheaper.

You'll be fine, I also have a 980 Ti and I run every game on max on my 2560x1440 monitor and I'm generally maxing out the FPS. Even shadows of mordor ultra textures runs 90+ FPS.

Wut? Not following your math.

2160 x 1200 = 2,592,000 pixels * 90Hz = 233,280,000 pixels/second
2560 x 1440 = 3,686,400 pixels * 60Hz = 221,184,000 pixels/second

So Rift at 90Hz should be roughly 5.5% more demanding than a 1440p monitor at 60Hz.

I see Sony crashing this party. They could sell the Morpheus at a similar price or for even more ,wave a few game titles and make a killing (comparatively). Microsoft have their own agenda , so unless Zuckerberg pays off one of the big devs I just don't see it being a huge hit at that price.

I'm going to wait for the reviews, but that seems a reasonable price point for an early adopter device.

Wut? Not following your math.

2160 x 1200 = 2,592,000 pixels * 90Hz = 233,280,000 pixels/second
2560 x 1440 = 3,686,400 pixels * 60Hz = 221,184,000 pixels/second

So Rift at 90Hz should be roughly 5.5% more demanding than a 1440p monitor at 60Hz.

Yer right, I seem to have lost control of my calculator.
Hope it works better in 3D :p
Thanks for the correction.

Found this interesting over at The Consumerist.

Thus, on the Oculus pre-order site, there’s a link to download an application that runs a quick check to see if your computer can handle the device.

Not that we’re planning to spend $599 on a VR headset anytime soon, but out of curiosity we ran the test on a few PCs lying around the Consumerist compound — all failed.

The above results came from a mid-range ASUS laptop purchased new only a few months ago. Neither its graphics card nor its processing power were found to be up to snuff.

We also tried the test on a pair of gaming PCs that, while not exactly new, have had no issues playing new, graphics-heavy games. Neither had enough processing power or sufficient USB ports, and only one had a compatible graphics card.

I ran it on some of our CAD/Drafting machines here, and none of them passed. :p

too expensive, i mean it needs a gtx 970 min ? not everyone are die hard gamers so in order to enjoy VR u must spend out as much as a new system decent would cost.. i think this will flop will probably be a very small user base...

i wonder if they are having manufacturing difficulty with cell phone competition.

or the more profit to be made, [before more competitors arrive] improves the chances of the tech surviving.

Don't think so, Samsung is making custom displays specifically for the rift. Thanks to the partnership Oculus has with Samsung for the Gear VR headset / software.

LOL, I sure i could find some old computers around the office here that will all fail as well.

too expensive, i mean it needs a gtx 970 min ? not everyone are die hard gamers so in order to enjoy VR u must spend out as much as a new system decent would cost.. i think this will flop will probably be a very small user base...
They will sell as many as they can make in the first year by which time gfx cards will have evolved so the entry price will drop.
Even more so the next year.
And the cost of manufacture will drop making it more accessible at a lower price.

It will steadily build its user base because it is a quality product that does what it says on the tin.
And thats a bloody good tin!
I think this one is here to stay, I cant see it flopping.

LOL what did they expect? Should I run this on my mom's tablet and see how it turns out?

The people that are willing to shovel out $599 + tax + shipping on this are hopefully the people that also have already shoveled out $650 for a 980 Ti and $350 for an i7 and $200 for a motherboard with enough USB 3.0 ports.

If someone is even THINKING of running this on an old laptop, they are A) delusional and B) not the target audience.

I ordered one but how do you know if you get it in the first delivery? I didn't gent any order email and my account shows an pre-order but no date.

LOL what did they expect? Should I run this on my mom's tablet and see how it turns out?

The people that are willing to shovel out $599 + tax + shipping on this are hopefully the people that also have already shoveled out $650 for a 980 Ti and $350 for an i7 and $200 for a motherboard with enough USB 3.0 ports.

If someone is even THINKING of running this on an old laptop, they are A) delusional and B) not the target audience.

my Q8200 chip with a gts660 isn't gonna handle it and I would never dream of buying this and trying it. It is up there with buying a 4k monitor and whining about my computer not being able to handle it.

Honestly I would like to try gaming on the oculus. And I would like my wife to try it so that way she can sign off on my purchase request form to upgrade the pc :p

I ordered one but how do you know if you get it in the first delivery? I didn't gent any order email and my account shows an pre-order but no date.

Did you fully finish the order.
The last page was where you get a tick box to put you on the short list for the new controller.
It wasnt until we completed that page that it told us when to expect delivery and said an email was being sent.

I like the res per eye a lot more than before, but am I the only one still a bit concerned that it's less than 1080p per eye?

If you are playing either say Elite or a flight sim... or ARMA or Star Citizen you need to be able to read the HUD text in various places around the screen.

Is it good enough for that? If it is not, then games either have to have special larger fonts that take VR res issues into account or you can't play those types of games interchangably without a total redesign of the game.

Very interested. We shall see.

Did you fully finish the order.
The last page was where you get a tick box to put you on the short list for the new controller.
It wasnt until we completed that page that it told us when to expect delivery and said an email was being sent.

Hmmm. No. Didn't get that screen. But I can't place a new order as I already have one. What a mess, this is like AT&T iPhone orders.

I never thought Oculus would meet the $300~$400 mark. Actually I thought it would be much closer to $1,000.

Back