Oculus Rift Let's face it, we will all get one

HardUp4HardWare

Supreme [H]ardness
Don't deny it, you want it baby...

Finally started reading some about this and the hardware sounds nothing short of epic.

Of course there is the GREAT HARDWARE NO SOFTWARE initial release dilemma...

Honestly I heard a lot of hype about it when DK2 dropped and... not a peep since.

Once someone releases a truly good version, competition will step in. I don't think DK2 is destined to be 'must have'

as long as its $350 or less i will buy one

Unless it's really well integrated into gaming, I don't see myself getting one of these. Plus the pricing will probably be off the charts.

Cool idea for sure, idk if I can see myself strapping that thing on ;) everyday for gaming though. Maybe for some "oh cool check this out" moments with friends.

I don't really like the design I'm seeing for the consumer-grade Rift anyway...looks like mandatory cheap headphones and an external IR camera required for head tracking? LOL...so basically it still needs a TrackIR-like device and can't do it with gyros or whatnot...meh.

Essentially this is just a 3D display that you strap to your face at this point, then.

For a Facebook product?

I'll probably wait and see what happens once the dust settles, thanks.

HTC Vive looks ok though.

Didn't even think about it.

Then I had the occasion to fiddle around with a set.

Now I'll be getting one when one of those next gen games get released with it.

If it doesnt make me dizzy....then probably.

In a well made environment an average person will find it quite challenging just to stand up without losing their balance with a headset on. I think Dirst Rally had to put the headset on rails so you wouldn't get sick.

Games Support, first and foremost.

However, a lot of games I play do not benefit from VR, so the chances of me getting this is slim at best.

I've been an early adopter of a lot of things but I won't be shelling out for a VR product until one of them is determined to be a bona fide winner. Considering SLI/CFX don't always work, that Eyefinity/Surround are often overlooked by devs, and sometimes it's like pulling teeth just to get devs to do basic shit like let us remap buttons or change FOV... Yeah, I think I'll take a wait-and-see approach with VR and make sure there's actually some content and support first.

All that said, the Vive has my interest piqued more than the Oculus Rift.

I use my DK2 for racing Project Cars quite often...I like it...the wife and I have already stashed cash away for the Rift and the Vive...we don't mind driving the new innovations.

Oculus kind of hindered the DK2 with the 0.7 update because game developers aren't updating their games for it , but with the consumer version this close I can see their point.

Driving and flying games are quite cool even at the current tech level.

Eh, I played some on a friend's DK2, and I really think it has a long way to go before I'll buy in.

The screen looked very pixelated to me - I really don't think going from 1080 to 1440 will fix that. So we're talking a 4k phone size display and hardware to push it at 120hz before it's really going to be worth using.

Couple more years yet at least - but we'll see.

that isn't quite accurate on the resolution difference ...

"The Dev Kit 2 uses a display from a Galaxy Note 3 which works out as 960 x 1080 per eye"...one screen

"The consumer edition Rift actually offers a 2160 x 1200 resolution; one resolution over the two OLED displays on board, working at 233 million pixels per second, with a 90Hz refresh rate."

but I guess you can crunch the numbers a few different ways

two things need to happen for me to get a VR set:

1. it needs to work, without me thinking about it.

I never liked the Wii or Connect or most head tracking, because you have to hold its hand and play within limitations which frankly, keep me from getting into the game, itself. If a game can't keep the limitations hidden or at least keep you distracted from them, it probably has no business using a headset, anyway.

2. there needs to be compelling games, from a varied offering of genres. and some of those games should be more compelling than usual, in actual game-play, due specifically to making use of a headset.

------------------------
And a one thing should never happen: a game which could/should work completely well, without headset------not allowing play unless you have a headset. But it will happen and that will be supremely aggravating.

I agree - the VR's will have to have 4k resolutions and fast response/fps before they go mainstream. Once they do though........

READY PLAYER ONE time!!!!!!!!!

This is the fourth time I'm being told 3D/VR is the future. First in 1995 with the first crappy VR sets, then around the turn of the century with the shutter glasses that came with every hiend ASUS vga. Then a few years ago when the first 3D capable TVs started popping up, and now with Oculus.

So no I won't commit myself to this before it becomes automatically supported by every game, without hacking, and modding, as none of the above became anything but a very small fringe.

I'm blind in my right eye, so no I won't be getting one. I know it's selfish, but I hope VR never truly takes off.

I don't really like the design I'm seeing for the consumer-grade Rift anyway...looks like mandatory cheap headphones and an external IR camera required for head tracking? LOL...so basically it still needs a TrackIR-like device and can't do it with gyros or whatnot...meh.

Essentially this is just a 3D display that you strap to your face at this point, then.

That does seem weird. Can't use normal headsets with it? Or even speakers? I suppose a headset + Rift seemed bulky but I wouldn't want their crappy headset. Looks like your ears will be hurting after an hour.

I believe you meant to say "I couldn't care less"...and I couldn't care less about you "caring less"...haha

I'm not to happy with Oculus for a number of reasons, including their repeated stumbling and apparent proprietary development path, ownership by Facebook, and technical shortcomings like those mentioned by others above. More than almost anything else, if VR is going to have a shot at adoption and growth over time, it needs to be done in an open spec / open source sort of way. The market will not be able to handle people "not having the right tech" for the games they want to play, but it seems that most of these companies have decided, in their greed, that "Ours will be the best and become a de-facto standard , causing everyone else to fail and our dominance to rise!", which is asinine.

As far as the technologies themselves, I'm most interested in Magic Leap, which seems to have much more promise and isn't limited to a head-mounted stereoscopic display. If they develop in an open manner in every sense of the word, then its likely this will be the tech to back as its viability goes beyond simply gaming. The amount of people who are going to be willing to pay to strap a head mounted display for stereoscopic gaming will always be niche compared to those who will be interested in a 3D "VR/AR" solution that is "displayless", instead being projected into the world. Really interesting stuff.

Oculus has thus far the least appealing path forward, sadly. Had they stayed open, platform independent and worked with Valve, I'd be a lot more likely to give them a better chance. For now, I'll be looking towards those that have better principles and make better tech. Of course, I'll reserve final judgement until one or more of these companies have a consumer-ready launch version of their technology.

I'll be getting one for Assetto Corsa. Any other cool software will be icing on the cake.

@xp3nd4bl3

I like Assetto Corsa on it , Project Cars is great as well...AC didn't update to the 0.7 SDK though...the higher resolutions coming may enhance them

I'll ONLY get one if they have a Holodeck game with hot Betazoid women.

Is this thing ever going to come out? Or is it only going to be a niche device for the rich folk?

Question, since the lenses are mere inches from your eyes, do people who are near sighted still need to wear spectacles?

That's a deal breaker for me, it's why I don't watch 3d movies. (wearing two pairs of glasses at the same time is insanely uncomfortable)

I will get one if they solve the issue of leaving a pixel grid imprinted on your vision.
This is a serious problem that the higher res release version will hopefully solve.
If not I will have to wait for the next update.

Could care less about VR
You mean couldn't care less surely, otherwise you just said you do care.

If you couldnt care less, that means you already dont care and its not possible to care less.
If you can care less, that means you do care currently. You have care to spare that could be eroded if something else was annoying.

or it could mean he could care less but doing so requires effort and he does feel like putting it in.

Back