Oculus Rift Game Will Scare the Crap Out of You

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
If you are a fan of macabre games or really pulled for Jack Nicholson in The Shining, a new made-for-Oculus Rift game Alone in the Rift might just be up your dark scary alley.

A little anti-climactic... I was expecting something a whole lot worse (in terms of just some dude popping up and standing there with a knife not moving or anything)

That was very likely the most non-scary trailer for a "scary" game that I have ever seen....;)

I really shivered, though, when the people wearing the devices rotated their heads 90 degrees but the images they were viewing rotated 5-10 degrees...;) Brrrrrr--rr-r-r-r-rrrrr!

What I want to see is a time-lapse trailer of someone wearing the thing and nodding and rotating his head, for, oh, two hours straight--uninterrupted. Watching them grab for a nearby coke can but knocking it over, instead, right into their laps--that would be fun, I suppose. As would watching the shrieks and howls slowly replaced with cries of "My neck hurts!" or "This thing is getting heavy--how much longer?"

i'm not sure how scary games and movies are supposed to work. since you know it's not real it really can't be scary (i know that's the wrong attitude to approach this). western horror media is boring as hell imo (with the exception of lovecraftian horror). i prefer the japanese kind of horror that messes with your head. they intentionally leave a lot of blanks to fill in by your own imagination instead of jump scares where the sound gets so loud it blows out your eardrums. dead space gets it kinda right, but it's not so much the horror, it's the need for survival that gets you pumped. anyway, all the amnesia, slender etc like games are boring.

Instead of using all women next time they should do a video with a couple of guys watching it.

Never cared for being scared, I don't watch horror movies, I don't play "scary games", I don't read scary books.. That said, everyone was ripping the head set off, why not just... closed your eyes?

Instead of using all women next time they should do a video with a couple of guys watching it.

^ THIS!
Freakin metrosexuals(at best).

I think the girls were a tad more manly than those guys(term used lightly).

Strong reactions but I dont see what was so scary. I assume the vids dont do the product enough justice. Also seemed like they did a lot of real life head turning but the game aspect didnt rotate much. I want to see this product with a sports or racing game before I can pretend it matters...is there even a release date for consumers? Seems like there have been a ton of these types of videos uploaded

Strong reactions but I dont see what was so scary. I assume the vids dont do the product enough justice. Also seemed like they did a lot of real life head turning but the game aspect didnt rotate much. I want to see this product with a sports or racing game before I can pretend it matters...is there even a release date for consumers? Seems like there have been a ton of these types of videos uploaded

Unlike stereoscopic 3D TV's and monitors, where you have a screen as a point of reference and you are more looking into a 3d world then being a part of one, in Oculus rift you feel how tall you are and how tall other things are in relation to yourself. A person standing infront of you in the game feels lifesized. I am not exaggerating.

Oculus Rift is the first headmounted display I have faith in for gaming. I have one dev kit at home and have the demo of Alone In the Rift. The resolution sucks and the screen door effect is pretty visible, but your brain filters it out much and you are left with a more realistic virtual 3d experience then you have ever tried before. :)

Alan Wake would have been pretty cool in Oculus rift if it was first person instead of third person. :(

Finally got some decent marketing people involved for it. It otherwise gets mixed to poor comments in general from the press who are in 'too cool for gimmicks' mode.

btw, like the old school Tron poster. Very appropriate.

i have to come out of forum retirement for this nonsense.

oculus rift is going to fail, and fail big. if this tech would have came out twenty years ago it would have done alright for awhile, now, no way. there is nothing they can do to make it successful, nothing, no application can save it from total failure.

IM SO STARTLED :eek:

:rolleyes:

Boo

oculus-rift-facebook.jpg

Unlike stereoscopic 3D TV's and monitors, where you have a screen as a point of reference and you are more looking into a 3d world then being a part of one, in Oculus rift you feel how tall you are and how tall other things are in relation to yourself. A person standing infront of you in the game feels lifesized. I am not exaggerating.

Oculus Rift is the first headmounted display I have faith in for gaming. I have one dev kit at home and have the demo of Alone In the Rift. The resolution sucks and the screen door effect is pretty visible, but your brain filters it out much and you are left with a more realistic virtual 3d experience then you have ever tried before. :)

Alan Wake would have been pretty cool in Oculus rift if it was first person instead of third person. :(

Thanks for the explanation! I'll look forward to trying it in retail...hopefully a not too filthy demo unit :)

That was pretty weak I was expecting better.

If someone were to remake the house from The Conjuring and you play one of the parents dad or mom based on your choice. And you have to protect the children from the witch in the house that would be great and alot more scary than this.

The scariest part was how tight that guy's purple shirt was.

Uhg, why does everyone in this world feel the need to overact whenever they are being filmed. Is this what you do when you watch a movie? Talk every 5 fricken seconds about how scary what you are seeing is, and how scary what you just saw was? We get it, we can see what you are seeing, you dont need to become a cartoon character for us to understand.

i have to come out of forum retirement for this nonsense.

oculus rift is going to fail, and fail big. if this tech would have came out twenty years ago it would have done alright for awhile, now, no way. there is nothing they can do to make it successful, nothing, no application can save it from total failure.

Have you ever used one? I'm an owner of a Rift. You have to experience it to understand how amazing it is. It's going to succeed BIG TIME. It is really the future of almost everything when it comes to virtual experiences. I'd love these on airplanes in the future to pass the time and take your mind away from the flight.

One of my favorite apps is 'VR Cinema' where you can watch movies as if you were in a movie theater. It's pretty awesome and one of many good uses for VR outside gaming. Think if you got together w/your friends from other states/countries in a VR cinema and watched your favorite movie and talked to each other during it while turning to their avatar. Would be pretty fun.

-fro

All I could think of while watching was "Good Lord people...get a grip!"

The device and the game might be interesting, but there's nothing in that vid to convince me of it.

The biggest problem with VR is a failure of developers to use it properly. All too often the only idea anyone can come up with is take any 1st person shooter, and make it rift enabled. Some games just arent meant to be experienced in 1st person, and as ironic as it sounds 1st person shooters are a primary example of this. The best rift games are simulation experiences. Flying, racing, exploration, etc. Running and jumping and shooting things in a complex scenario like BF4 do not make for a good rift experience.

Back