Oculus Rift Game Will Scare the Crap Out of You

Discussion in 'HardForum Tech News' started by MajorDomo, Apr 19, 2014.

1. MajorDomo

MajorDomo [H]ard as it Gets

If you are a fan of macabre games or really pulled for Jack Nicholson in The Shining, a new made-for-Oculus Rift game Alone in the Rift might just be up your dark scary alley.

2. Term-X

Term-X 2[H]4U

A little anti-climactic... I was expecting something a whole lot worse (in terms of just some dude popping up and standing there with a knife not moving or anything)

3. Modboxx

Modboxx Gawd

Looks awesome i want it.

4. WaltC

WaltC [H]ard|Gawd

That was very likely the most non-scary trailer for a "scary" game that I have ever seen....;)

I really shivered, though, when the people wearing the devices rotated their heads 90 degrees but the images they were viewing rotated 5-10 degrees...;) Brrrrrr--rr-r-r-r-rrrrr!

What I want to see is a time-lapse trailer of someone wearing the thing and nodding and rotating his head, for, oh, two hours straight--uninterrupted. Watching them grab for a nearby coke can but knocking it over, instead, right into their laps--that would be fun, I suppose. As would watching the shrieks and howls slowly replaced with cries of "My neck hurts!" or "This thing is getting heavy--how much longer?"

5. Krenum

Krenum [H]ardForum Junkie

IM SO STARTLED :eek:

:rolleyes:

6. temujin987

temujin987 [H]ard|Gawd

i'm not sure how scary games and movies are supposed to work. since you know it's not real it really can't be scary (i know that's the wrong attitude to approach this). western horror media is boring as hell imo (with the exception of lovecraftian horror). i prefer the japanese kind of horror that messes with your head. they intentionally leave a lot of blanks to fill in by your own imagination instead of jump scares where the sound gets so loud it blows out your eardrums. dead space gets it kinda right, but it's not so much the horror, it's the need for survival that gets you pumped. anyway, all the amnesia, slender etc like games are boring.

7. osarion

osarion n00b

Instead of using all women next time they should do a video with a couple of guys watching it.

8. sfsuphysics

sfsuphysics I don't get it

Never cared for being scared, I don't watch horror movies, I don't play "scary games", I don't read scary books.. That said, everyone was ripping the head set off, why not just... closed your eyes?

9. bucketlist

bucketlist Gawd

^ THIS!
    Freakin metrosexuals(at best).

I think the girls were a tad more manly than those guys(term used lightly).

10. maademperor

maademperor [H]ard|Gawd

Strong reactions but I dont see what was so scary. I assume the vids dont do the product enough justice. Also seemed like they did a lot of real life head turning but the game aspect didnt rotate much. I want to see this product with a sports or racing game before I can pretend it matters...is there even a release date for consumers? Seems like there have been a ton of these types of videos uploaded

11. Tamlin_WSGF

Tamlin_WSGF 2[H]4U

Unlike stereoscopic 3D TV's and monitors, where you have a screen as a point of reference and you are more looking into a 3d world then being a part of one, in Oculus rift you feel how tall you are and how tall other things are in relation to yourself. A person standing infront of you in the game feels lifesized. I am not exaggerating.

Oculus Rift is the first headmounted display I have faith in for gaming. I have one dev kit at home and have the demo of Alone In the Rift. The resolution sucks and the screen door effect is pretty visible, but your brain filters it out much and you are left with a more realistic virtual 3d experience then you have ever tried before. :)

Alan Wake would have been pretty cool in Oculus rift if it was first person instead of third person. :(

12. Comixbooks

Comixbooks Ignore Me

Looks like headgear you wear for braces

13. Tamlin_WSGF

Tamlin_WSGF 2[H]4U

But then again, its hard to look at yourself in the mirror wearing it. :p

14. Jagger100

Jagger100 [H]ardness Supreme

Finally got some decent marketing people involved for it. It otherwise gets mixed to poor comments in general from the press who are in 'too cool for gimmicks' mode.

btw, like the old school Tron poster. Very appropriate.

15. >GSXR<mrbusa

>GSXR<mrbusa [H]Lite

i have to come out of forum retirement for this nonsense.

oculus rift is going to fail, and fail big. if this tech would have came out twenty years ago it would have done alright for awhile, now, no way. there is nothing they can do to make it successful, nothing, no application can save it from total failure.

16. Ashbringer

Ashbringer [H]ardness Supreme

Boo

[​IMG]

17. Youn

Youn [H]ardness Supreme

I'm still waiting for the killer app too, so far it looks like I might enjoy it for about 20 minutes

18. haste.

haste. [H]ard|Gawd

Are you 16 years old?

19. 172floater

172floater [H]Lite

This scares me even more than the video

20. CreepyUncleGoogle

CreepyUncleGoogle [H]ardness Supreme

Yeah, I agree. That guy's face is disgustingly hairy!

21. Burticus

Burticus 2[H]4U

That is some stupid sh!t right there.

22. BladeVenom

BladeVenom [H]ardness Supreme

Where did they get those people, from an Amish village.

23. maademperor

maademperor [H]ard|Gawd

Thanks for the explanation! I'll look forward to trying it in retail...hopefully a not too filthy demo unit :)

24. w4ffles

w4ffles 2[H]4U

Needs Slenderman. Pants will be shat on.

25. dbu8554

dbu8554 [H]ardness Supreme

Occulus + Amnesia

26. Wendig0

Wendig0 Gawd

what a bunch of noobs

27. Makaveli@BETA

Makaveli@BETA 2[H]4U

That was pretty weak I was expecting better.

If someone were to remake the house from The Conjuring and you play one of the parents dad or mom based on your choice. And you have to protect the children from the witch in the house that would be great and alot more scary than this.

28. Krenum

Krenum [H]ardForum Junkie

lol QFT

29. dgz

dgz [H]ardness Supreme

Didn't like the video.

And I want Rift without the fb crap.

You don't like hairy guys?

30. Megalith

Megalith 24-bit/48kHz Staff Member

The scariest part was how tight that guy's purple shirt was.

31. McFry

McFry [H]ard|Gawd

Uhg, why does everyone in this world feel the need to overact whenever they are being filmed. Is this what you do when you watch a movie? Talk every 5 fricken seconds about how scary what you are seeing is, and how scary what you just saw was? We get it, we can see what you are seeing, you dont need to become a cartoon character for us to understand.

32. CreepyUncleGoogle

CreepyUncleGoogle [H]ardness Supreme

Face-sized lawn mowers are a good thing. :D

33. leSLIe

leSLIe Fisting is Too Mainstream for Me

34. afropuff

afropuff Limp Gawd

Have you ever used one? I'm an owner of a Rift. You have to experience it to understand how amazing it is. It's going to succeed BIG TIME. It is really the future of almost everything when it comes to virtual experiences. I'd love these on airplanes in the future to pass the time and take your mind away from the flight.

One of my favorite apps is 'VR Cinema' where you can watch movies as if you were in a movie theater. It's pretty awesome and one of many good uses for VR outside gaming. Think if you got together w/your friends from other states/countries in a VR cinema and watched your favorite movie and talked to each other during it while turning to their avatar. Would be pretty fun.

-fro

35. EchoWars

EchoWars Limp Gawd

All I could think of while watching was "Good Lord people...get a grip!"

The device and the game might be interesting, but there's nothing in that vid to convince me of it.

36. McFry

McFry [H]ard|Gawd

The biggest problem with VR is a failure of developers to use it properly. All too often the only idea anyone can come up with is take any 1st person shooter, and make it rift enabled. Some games just arent meant to be experienced in 1st person, and as ironic as it sounds 1st person shooters are a primary example of this. The best rift games are simulation experiences. Flying, racing, exploration, etc. Running and jumping and shooting things in a complex scenario like BF4 do not make for a good rift experience.

37. TwistedAegis

TwistedAegis [H]ardForum Junkie

Dunno, I'd love a mod to enable Rift for TES.