Oculus Rift Coming To Chuck E. Cheese's

HardOCP News

[H] News
Oculus Rift coming soon to Chuck E. Cheese? Ugh. Really?

The Oculus Rift virtual reality headset is coming to Chuck E. Cheese's. The kid-friendly restaurant/playplace founded by gaming icon Nolan Bushnell announced today that it is now testing a "Chuck E. Cheese's Virtual Ticket Blaster Experience" using the virtual reality headset in select markets. The first is Dallas, with expansions planned for San Diego and Orlando.

No surprise really, this is exactly what I said would end up happening a long time ago with it. Things like this, Dave and Busters, Jillian's and other attractions like this is where it will do well. It is a very entertaining device for a little while. However the novelty wears off extremely quickly as far as owning one goes.

Sigh...So much for a reasonable priced one for Joe User.

Maybe the parents should wear it. "see how well behaved our virtual Tommy is? Too bad the real kid is such an a$$hole..." ;)

yeah because I'd love to go to a place with a bunch of fat stupid stinky kids and put on headgear that they just got done touching, sweating, and snotting all over.

Not that im against using the Oculus Rift for things, but the ticket blaster is actually one of the fun things to do at Chuck E Cheeses. And you have to spend a decent amount of money to even get to use it.

And besides the attendants have always handed us the biggest voucher in there (1000 tickets?) if we didn't grab it. Make it virtual and that kind of stuff can be squashed REAL fast by management.

No surprise really, this is exactly what I said would end up happening a long time ago with it. Things like this, Dave and Busters, Jillian's and other attractions like this is where it will do well. It is a very entertaining device for a little while. However the novelty wears off extremely quickly as far as owning one goes.

Oculus Rift wasn't created for no reason, and then tries to create a new market for it after that. There have always been applications that could be improved with a VR head set such as flight sims, where people are already spending on stuff like Track IR to use head motion as a control input.

I'm eager to try this out, but probably not at a chuckie cheese

Chuck E Cheese sounds like a better application than that virtual SHOPPING demo that popped up shortly after the Facebook buyout.

The first time I ever tried VR in the early 90s before the fad died was at a chuckie cheese like clone place.

It really is the first place somthing like this should go.

1. arcades died when you can get them at home.

2 they can make more arcade like setups the VR machines I used had large arcade like setups AKA a full sit down car with controls. and stuff like that.

the arcade versions had pretty advance controls and tracking for early 90s too mmaybe that is why I was not that amazed at the wii and playstation move tracking these machines did it first.

tumblr_lz1k952PwM1qczs1ko1_500.png

12496.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v6t69mp0ZhE

it was these machines and this game that was at the place they popped up at an adult coffee shop too around us and it had a cyber punk tron theme, and other places in the city.

What killed it is they cost 20 times more than a normal arcade game to play and the extreme cost of the machines...

its a good thing it might bring back a new form of arcade machine that you cant get at home that easy....

Back