Oculus Rift and GTX 1060 with newer drivers (late 2017) jitter shutter lag glitch

westrock2000

[H]F Junkie
I had noticed slightly worse performance when I updated a month or so ago and then when Oculus 2.0 came out it forced me to upgrade to the latest and the perfomance was completely unusable (if the games would even load).

I ended up downgrading from 2.0 (turn off beta) and rolled back to version 385.41 and everything was silky smooth again. Hope they get that worked out.

nDxmwlA.jpg

To be honest, if you are really serious about VR, a GTX 1070 would be the lowest I'd recommend going as to GPU hardware, especially when it comes to some of the more demanding VR titles. There just isn't a lot of headroom to spare when minimum spec hardware is applied to VR, and when you are that close to the acceptable performance boundaries, any little glitch as to performance, whether it's a sub-par optimized game or a slight driver issue like you are experiencing, it's going to be all that much harder to deal with, leading to visual/tracking anomalies that can bring on the nausea pretty fast. That monitor of yours would probably also benefit dramatically as to native resolution gaming if you could swing a GPU upgrade.

True, but it's not like I'm saying you need to run out and upgrade - was just an observation. I also generally sell what I'm currently using to help defray upgrade expenses, so probably closer to $200-250 in this case, which still isn't chump change though, but at least there's that. Like I said, if you're serious about VR/gaming and can swing it, it's probably worth pursuing - might even be able to score a used 1070 for less on the buy/sell thread on [H] if someone is looking to upgrade.

Yeah, considering that the GTX 1060 is just a bit faster than a GTX 970 tells me you're really pushing the minimums in games. While a mix of beta software and newer drivers might not be a good match for you something like a GTX 1070/1080 which is recommended have easier times crunching and rolling through the minor hiccups.

Money is the limiting factor though and I completely understand that. However, I feel like along with just troubleshooting the issues on your end and waiting for non-beta software (this makes a BIG difference you know?) you're really in that "You just need a faster GPU for this stuff" camp. Just like the Intel HD GPU people that ask why they can't play a certain newer title...your hardware just isn't up to the task.

Settings are a big factor as well. Since you're running near minimum hardware for a lot of games that means you should be running them at 1.0 resolution or lower with mostly low settings.

To be honest, if you are really serious about VR, a GTX 1070 would be the lowest I'd recommend going as to GPU hardware, especially when it comes to some of the more demanding VR titles. There just isn't a lot of headroom to spare when minimum spec hardware is applied to VR, and when you are that close to the acceptable performance boundaries, any little glitch as to performance, whether it's a sub-par optimized game or a slight driver issue like you are experiencing, it's going to be all that much harder to deal with, leading to visual/tracking anomalies that can bring on the nausea pretty fast. That monitor of yours would probably also benefit dramatically as to native resolution gaming if you could swing a GPU upgrade.

Hogwash, the 1060 is fine (I say as I just upgraded from a 1060 to 1080 around a week ago). The 1080 allows me to up a few graphics settings and stay out of ASW but to be perfectly honest, it wasn't worth the $300 extra at all. The 1060 gave me 90% of the experience at 40% of the price as even when in ASW, I rarely noticed it. I only did when I sat there looking for it watching the frame counter - which I admit I did a few times in iRacing. Occasionally I'd notice the odd graphics glitch while playing but only if there was a ton of on-screen action happening at a fast pace and usually it was in smoke/fire/particle effect areas and not stuff that would affect game play. A 1070 would be even less of an upgrade.

I did not notice any difference with the 2.0 upgrade, so it sounds like something went haywire with the update, tbh. The 2.0 update did force me to upgrade my graphics drivers, but I didn't notice any issues after doing so.

Yeah, considering that the GTX 1060 is just a bit faster than a GTX 970 tells me you're really pushing the minimums in games. While a mix of beta software and newer drivers might not be a good match for you something like a GTX 1070/1080 which is recommended have easier times crunching and rolling through the minor hiccups.

Money is the limiting factor though and I completely understand that. However, I feel like along with just troubleshooting the issues on your end and waiting for non-beta software (this makes a BIG difference you know?) you're really in that "You just need a faster GPU for this stuff" camp. Just like the Intel HD GPU people that ask why they can't play a certain newer title...your hardware just isn't up to the task.

Settings are a big factor as well. Since you're running near minimum hardware for a lot of games that means you should be running them at 1.0 resolution or lower with mostly low settings.

A 1060 6gb is actually equal to a 980 (non ti). It's plenty, see above.

Hogwash, the 1060 is fine (I say as I just upgraded from a 1060 to 1080 around a week ago). The 1080 allows me to up a few graphics settings and stay out of ASW but to be perfectly honest, it wasn't worth the $300 extra at all. The 1060 gave me 90% of the experience at 40% of the price as even when in ASW, I rarely noticed it. I only did when I sat there looking for it watching the frame counter - which I admit I did a few times in iRacing. Occasionally I'd notice the odd graphics glitch while playing but only if there was a ton of on-screen action happening at a fast pace and usually it was in smoke/fire/particle effect areas and not stuff that would affect game play. A 1070 would be even less of an upgrade.

I did not notice any difference with the 2.0 upgrade, so it sounds like something went haywire with the update, tbh. The 2.0 update did force me to upgrade my graphics drivers, but I didn't notice any issues after doing so.

It really depends on what you play and what level of graphics performance you expect. All up to personal preference really and what you can stomach as "plenty". For me at least, a 1060 simply wouldn't cut it for VR, especially as I like to play games like Elite Dangerous with the super sampling cranked. If you are happy with the 1060 in VR for the games that you play, then great! I just feel that min specs with VR won't give you any added headroom, thus causing headaches as to settings and issues like what the OP was experiencing. Hence my recommending at least a 1070 (or 980Ti). The OP's performance issues encountered as to making VR "completely unusable" most likely could have been avoided if min spec hardware wasn't involved.

Guys, this wasn’t a FPS issue. This was like the screen freezing on and off every 1-2 seconds. Which you’ve probably experienced a screen freeze (no tracking) before and know it makes VR unusable. There was also issues with colors inverting (everything turning purple), both in the game and Oculus home software as well.

I’m not trying to show you how big my dick is compared to ya’lls, I’m telling you I suffered from ED and the shit just didn’t work at all. But I took a rollback pill and now it works again.

It really depends on what you play and what level of graphics performance you expect. All up to personal preference really and what you can stomach as "plenty". For me at least, a 1060 simply wouldn't cut it for VR, especially as I like to play games like Elite Dangerous with the super sampling cranked. If you are happy with the 1060 in VR for the games that you play, then great! I just feel that min specs with VR won't give you any added headroom, thus causing headaches as to settings and issues like what the OP was experiencing. Hence my recommending at least a 1070 (or 980Ti). The OP's performance issues encountered as to making VR "completely unusable" most likely could have been avoided if min spec hardware wasn't involved.

I'm giving you direct experience of 1060 vs 1080 in vr in the same system and telling you its not due to the 1060 in any way.

Yeah, you can't crank super sampling, but that's not going to make anything remotely unplayable.

1060 is not min spec if you look at either system and their min specs. Telling him to get a 1070 to fix the issue is bad advice. This coming from someone who did the upgrade from a 1060. Its just not the problem for what he's describing.

I'm giving you direct experience of 1060 vs 1080 in vr in the same system and telling you its not due to the 1060 in any way.

Yeah, you can't crank super sampling, but that's not going to make anything remotely unplayable.

1060 is not min spec if you look at either system and their min specs. Telling him to get a 1070 to fix the issue is bad advice. This coming from someone who did the upgrade from a 1060. Its just not the problem for what he's describing.
OK, my bad! Didn’t mean to ruffle your feathers. VR on!

Back