Oculus Quest 2

mazeroth

Limp Gawd
Great choice of games!! If you can find a good group, Walkabout Mini Golf is one of the best social experiences in VR.

And going by the games you picked and seem to be enjoying so far, I would recommended In Death Unchained. Get the Quest 2 version. It's tough but so satisfying.
Those are two of my top 3 games on the Quest 2. If you love real golf, give Golf+ a shot. It's fantastic.

Reactions: zrikz
like this

Chief Blur Buster

Owner of BlurBusters
Clarifications to confirmed usability of VR for one-eyed individuals:

I am looking for my first VR set, and this seems to fit the bill. Question though. I only have one eye that functions. Will I still get the 3D effects and such?

Or will it be like those red and blue 3D glasses that did nothing for me?
Quest 2 aims to mirror real life, so your disability is mirrored into VR.

The experience of one-eye people in VR is that they are, indeed able to use VR -- they just don't get anything better than they already do in real life.

VR indeed mimics real life much better than say, Real3D Cinema Glasses. It's much better than red/blue 3D.

If you have only one eye then obviously you do not have stereoscopic vision just like you won't have one in real life. But where VR differs from 3d glasses is the feeling of being inside the game (stuff having lifelike proportions, feeling of NPCs being there next to you etc...) and that should be the same with or without stereoscopic vision. What I am worried about is the FOV. Quest 2 has rather small FOV, around the size of diving goggles, and if you have one eye blind then even that is halved and there is not much binocular overlap from the side of your functioning eye into the side of the blind eye. You'd have to move your head around more to see what is happening at the side of your blind eye. 🤔
No offense meant, but it doesn't sound like you are the target market for VR then given your medical history.

One-eyed "stereoscopy" behavior refers to the "parallax" experience by tilting head left and right, and such, to have a "faux stereoscopic" experience, to help judge distances by how much parallax occurs during head tilting left/right.

This is how one-eyed people judge distances in a "faux stereoscopic" way -- more object movement means the object is nearer.

The great news is that, YES, you can still do it in modern 6-degrees-of-freedom VR -- you just tilt your head left/right and you still get the parallax effect you already do in real life. You can't do it on an Oculus Go (3dof), but you can definitely do it on a Quest or a Quest 2.

In other words: VR aims to be a mirror of your real life vision & limitations.

It's not a perfect mirror, but the experience of other 1-eyed people who used VR, is that they indeed, are able to use VR. It can be helpful to mask-off one of the VR lens, to improve the experience for the other eye -- much like wearing an eye patch. Also, many one-eyed people wear an eye patch, and you can do that on a VR headset by using electrical tape to cover one of the lens. Same effect as an eye patch. As in real life patch, masking-off a VR lens, does exactly the same thing in prevent the "eye searing bright" or the "whiteout effect" or the "blizzard effect" or the "blurry view" or the "wandering eye effect" from distracting the good eye for blind eyes that still detects some semblance of light (in varying indistinct sensitivities).

The better VR is at mimicking real life, the more identical your disability is in VR as it is in real life.

The goal of a good VR headset is "VR = real life", and Quest 2 fulfills that for one-eyed people especially if that sole eye is a perfectly normal eye. If your best eye is abnormal there may be problems -- just as is for people with other vision abnormalities (e.g. weird prescription that current VR lens can't accomodate). But if your sole eye is normal, or easily corrected (like prescription VR lens etc), VR will work just as it does in real life.

TL;DR: Most one-eyed people have no issue with Quest 2 for most VR apps, as long as they have a well-functioning eye. You just don't get any extra new benefit or new vision superpowers in VR versus real life. But your existing real-life one-eye techniques (head tilting to use parallax to judge distances) can be used just fine in modern VR.

Last edited: