Oculus Launches Asynchronous Spacewarp, 45 FPS VR

Saw this GIF earlier - it does undoubtedly look better but IMO not well enough to recommend a 45-FPS-only machine for a good VR experience.

ASW_luckys_tale.gif

There is still quite a lot of perceptible stutter from what I can see.

Been playing around with Async Repro here on the Vive. Not sure what to think of it yet. Need more time.

Yeah, this is actually one step beyond that - positional rather than just rotational.

Interesting indeed. I think this is more for machines that can't nail the 90 FPS at all times. If a particular moment causes the GPU load to increase, it can at least maintain the illusion.

Yeah, this is actually one step beyond that - positional rather than just rotational.
Yes from my understanding you would have both positional & rotational rendering at 90fps even though gaming FPS is less than 90fps.

Whatever you decide to call it, it's basically frame interpolation meant to fill in gaps in the refresh rate when the rendering framerate can't keep up, and it's critical because juddering is downright nauseating in a VR HMD. Even a single hitch or stutter really detracts from the experience. I'm glad it's improving.

I still need to test ASW more thoroughly in DCS World, as that's a title that no computer on the market is going to run at a consistent 90 FPS once the action gets going. It's just too demanding on single-threaded CPU performance once you've got a lot of air and ground units slugging it out in a given area, and about all that a Titan X Pascal card will help you with is supersampled rendering for a clearer view of the cockpit instruments, going by posts over on the ED forums.

Back