Oculus GO Will Use Foveated Rendering to Save GPU Power

DooKey

[H]F Junkie
Last week we brought you news that Qualcomm and Tobii were going to bring foveated rendering to new products. Well, we have more news this week that says Oculus is going to use fixed foveated rendering in their new Oculus Go product. This is good news for the VR/AR crowd because it really saves GPU power for the important rendering and at the same time will save battery power as well to make your VR/AR experience last even longer on the go.

Interesting Oculus talk at #GDC18 today. Oculus GO will use Fixed Foveated Rendering to save GPU.

Foveated rendering has been around for a bit, good that they are incorporating it for improved performance and efficiency.

I always thought something like this would be nice as an option for triple monitor displays. Render the center screen at full res, then have the option to render the side panels at half / quarter res, etc. So you still get the peripheral vision effect, but at a much lighter rendering cost.

For this to really be effective, wouldn't eye tracking also be required? I think the zoning should be targeted and spherical. The blocked, asymmetric pattern bothers me. I know it is just an example and the focus here is efficiency.

I wonder how hard it would be to add eye-tracking, and change the center of the foviated image on the fly, so that the user always sees high resolution, no mater what direction they're looking.

How much GPU horsepower does it actually save?

Reactions: blkt
like this
So basically you get more of a goggle effect and less immersion. Can't say i'm surprised from a mobile vr set that's powered by a cell phone cpu.

If Lucky Palmer was still running this company he would have never started to come out with low tier experiences for VR. While his dream and the future of VR still require massive hardware and entry costs, I hardly see this as any type of stepping stone for VR. While this might be a nice novelty for specific use scenarios, I've never been a fan of a compromised experience. Maybe you can go to a cafe that lets you use these while you eat bread mixed with sawdust and watered down milk.

For this to really be effective, wouldn't eye tracking also be required? I think the zoning should be targeted and spherical. The blocked, asymmetric pattern bothers me. I know it is just an example and the focus here is efficiency.

I wonder how hard it would be to add eye-tracking, and change the center of the foviated image on the fly, so that the user always sees high resolution, no mater what direction they're looking.

How much GPU horsepower does it actually save?

Tobii is known for eye-tracking so it must use some sort of tracking or something similar.

Wireless, and eyetracking with foveated rendering is the next big leap I'm.

Back