Oculus Co-Founder Leaves Facebook Amid Rift 2 Cancellation Reports

AlphaAtlas

[H]ard|Gawd
Staff member
In a Facebook post, Oculus co-founder Brendan Iribe announced that he's leaving Facebook. On the surface of things, the departure seems to be relatively amicable, as most high profile departures are. However, Techcrunch seems to think that his departure is related to the cancellation of the Oculus Rift 2. According to their source, Iribe had "fundamentally different views on the future of Oculus that grew deeper over time," and he "wasn't interested in a 'race to the bottom.'" In response, another co-founder working for Facebook tweeted that they are "still driving forward on the Rift/PC platform with new hardware, software, and content." While it seems that the Oculus Rift is still alive on PC, they didn't outright deny the cancellation either, suggesting that future Oculus Rift development may head in a different direction.

Iribe's exit comes at a time when a number of the founders of Facebook’s high-profile startup acquisitions are leaving the company. Less than a month ago, Instagram co-founders Kevin Systrom and Mike Krieger announced their plans to leave the company in a decision that TechCrunch was told was partially the result of mounting tensions. WhatsApp co-founder Jan Koum left Facebook earlier this year. Iribe's fellow co-founder Palmer Luckey left Facebook in early 2017, a decision he recently recounted was not a choice that he made. Iribe came onto Facebook after the $2 billion acquisition of Oculus VR in 2014 where he had been the company’s founding CEO. After a substantial company reorganization in late 2016, Iribe was moved from the CEO position to the head of the company’s PC VR division.

"a source close to the matter" is that ever reliable? Just another click bait article. No substance. No actual news of a cancellation, just speculation. Thanks for wasting my time with this garbage Techcrunch :)

"a source close to the matter" is that ever reliable? Just another click bait article. No substance. No actual news of a cancellation, just speculation. Thanks for wasting my time with this garbage Techcrunch :)

While you're right about the this all being rumor and speculation, you have to admit the whole "race to the bottom" part sounds logical given the proliferation of cardboard crap from Google and Samsung that the [H] crowd and other serious gamers would never want.

While you're right about the this all being rumor and speculation, you have to admit the whole "race to the bottom" part sounds logical given the proliferation of cardboard crap from Google and Samsung that the [H] crowd and other serious gamers would never want.

To be fair, card board was a nice avenue for trying the VR before making any more-expensive decisions. I mean obviously it's leagues behind any serious VR experience, but at least for someone who's never tried it, it gives a taste of what the whole thing is about without any serious expenditures. At least that was the case before stores started having demo-stations.

It doesn't make sense to me they would cancel PC powered rift units after investing this much money.

I suspect if anything they will make a stand alone unit while they wait for technology to mature enough for the next PC Rift to be a major improvement. None of this Vive pro nonsense. They should have more than enough money to just ride it out rather than having to release units with marginal improvements to keep the lights on.

The problem with VR adoption rates is the entry barrier of price. If a company can deliver a low entry point with acceptable performance they would become the defacto standard. Could this be facebook's strategy?

I'd counter to a certain degree by suggesting the price is less an issue today, and even software is less of an issue today...(hugely still there but far better than it was 2 years ago)........but what IS an issue today is a lack of Cheerleading.

Seriously, VR doesn't have anyone promoting it now...its like Laserdisc :D Its there....its great if you dont mind spending money and seek it out, but otherwise.....you go get the VHS tape. (yes, I'm dating myself). Point being we're 3 years into VR and half the people
I talk to still have no idea what its like, or they tried a VR phone or Go o rsomething and said "I got dizzy" :p

Put them in a Skyrim dungeon scene with the full mist and flickering torches when those reanimated corpses start coming out of their catacombs......you'll sell some damned hardware. But nobody wants to do that....instead, they'll just sell us half of a Black Ops CoD game for full price, czu that's a lot easier. :p

In a Facebook post, Oculus co-founder Brendan Iribe announced that he's leaving Facebook. On the surface of things, the departure seems to be relatively amicable, as most high profile departures are. However, Techcrunch seems to think that his departure is related to the cancellation of the Oculus Rift 2. According to their source, Iribe had "fundamentally different views on the future of Oculus that grew deeper over time," and he "wasn't interested in a 'race to the bottom.'" In response, another co-founder working for Facebook tweeted that they are "still driving forward on the Rift/PC platform with new hardware, software, and content." While it seems that the Oculus Rift is still alive on PC, they didn't outright deny the cancellation either, suggesting that future Oculus Rift development may head in a different direction.

Iribe's exit comes at a time when a number of the founders of Facebook’s high-profile startup acquisitions are leaving the company. Less than a month ago, Instagram co-founders Kevin Systrom and Mike Krieger announced their plans to leave the company in a decision that TechCrunch was told was partially the result of mounting tensions. WhatsApp co-founder Jan Koum left Facebook earlier this year. Iribe's fellow co-founder Palmer Luckey left Facebook in early 2017, a decision he recently recounted was not a choice that he made. Iribe came onto Facebook after the $2 billion acquisition of Oculus VR in 2014 where he had been the company’s founding CEO. After a substantial company reorganization in late 2016, Iribe was moved from the CEO position to the head of the company’s PC VR division.

Smaty guy/people. Facebook is a shit platform/company. You couldn't pay me enough to work there.

what IS an issue today is a lack of Cheerleading.
I agree the presenters at OC are almost all very robotic and "trained" with their gestures and speech.

It'd be better to see more of this?

I'd counter to a certain degree by suggesting the price is less an issue today, and even software is less of an issue today...(hugely still there but far better than it was 2 years ago)........but what IS an issue today is a lack of Cheerleading.

Seriously, VR doesn't have anyone promoting it now...its like Laserdisc :D Its there....its great if you dont mind spending money and seek it out, but otherwise.....you go get the VHS tape. (yes, I'm dating myself). Point being we're 3 years into VR and half the people
I talk to still have no idea what its like, or they tried a VR phone or Go o rsomething and said "I got dizzy" :p

Put them in a Skyrim dungeon scene with the full mist and flickering torches when those reanimated corpses start coming out of their catacombs......you'll sell some damned hardware. But nobody wants to do that....instead, they'll just sell us half of a Black Ops CoD game for full price, czu that's a lot easier. :p
This kind of reminds me of the Amiga. It was a great system - incredible at the time. However, Commodore didn't know how to market - and did not market it. It died. I remember showing people Amiga games and programs back in the day - I helped sell a few.
I've tried the Vive and admit its awesome. However, I haven't jumped in as I need a GPU upgrade and this adds a good chunk to the overall cost. I also don't know if there is a killer program that I will play in VR yet.

I would love to try VR at a higher refresh rate and resolution. I feel 90hz-120hz isn't enough. But then I would need a new GPU. Cost is a big barrier for this tech and I want to be patient.

Back