Oculis Rift preorders are up Jan.6th

So a lot of sites are reporting the HTC Vive will cost $1500. Makes me happy I got in on the first wave of Rift preorders.

http://www.androidauthority.com/htc-vive-price-667174/

holy crap!...I was expecting it to be in the $750 range but $1500 makes the Oculus look like a steal

Fake. Clickbait source.
https://www.reddit.com/r/Vive/comments/40n4fp/psa_the_news_from_focus_taiwan_about_the_vive/

And shame on Android Authority for not even trying to verify anything, what was this?
"Sony’s Playstation VR is rumored to have a price tag anywhere between $800-$1,200
That was debunked literally seconds after the mistake was posted on Amazon and here they are parroting it again.

Journalism.

Not to mention Sony's R&D costs are a lot lower as they have been selling an HMD for years and a lot of the tech was rolled into the Playstation VR.

There's zero chance of Valve selling the Vive at $1500. I mean, sure, if they want to throw a few years worth of R&D out the window, they could try that price. They'd be essentially handing the market to Sony or Oculus. Realistically, they'll probably price it slightly higher than the Rift since it has more stuff (the pillars, camera, etc}. If I had to guess, I'd say we're likely to see Vive start at $699. They could also try to undercut Oculus to push early market share, so it will be interesting to see what they decide.

Either way, it's probably wise to wait it out for now. With rumors of platform exclusives floating around, I don't want to get tied to the one that has the least support or dies off (a la hd-dvd).

Last edited:
I'd rather spend my disposable income on a new 2016 LG OLED TV and/or a new Pascal card but that's just me...1st gen VR hardware isn't worth it

There's zero chance of Valve selling the Vive at $1500. I mean, sure, if they want to throw a few years worth of R&D out the window, they could try that price. They'd be essentially handing the market to Sony or Oculus. Realistically, they'll probably price it slightly higher than the Rift since it has more stuff (the pillars, camera, etc}. If I had to guess, I'd say we're likely to see Vive start at $699. They could also try to undercut Oculus to push early market share, so it will be interesting to see what they decide.

Either way, it's probably wise to wait it out for now. With rumors of platform exclusives floating around, I don't want to get tied to the one that has the least support or dies off (a la hd-dvd).

This. There's no way they would try to sell it at $1,500 which would likely give them a large margin on the hardware plus amortization of the R&D. $600-700ish is probably close enough to break-even on hardware in the name of building an ecosystem via establishing volume in the marketplace. $1,500 = sell maybe 10k units and have zero dev support after a year.

This. There's no way they would try to sell it at $1,500 which would likely give them a large margin on the hardware plus amortization of the R&D. $600-700ish is probably close enough to break-even on hardware in the name of building an ecosystem via establishing volume in the marketplace. $1,500 = sell maybe 10k units and have zero dev support after a year.

What about the possibility that Oculus fed them bogus information about their own pricing structure and HTC built their system to be priced based on this bogus information? Meaning, in the information sharing that all these VR departments boast about, pricing came up and, while no exact numbers were ever exchanged, hints were dropped by Oculus that they were looking at $1,800 or something like that was what they were working with.

I know it's all assumptions and whatnot but wouldn't it be something if it were true.

I;ve visited some random event in my city and there was an occulus rift roller coaster. Since that time I am eager to by it, but not the alpha version. I think it is dissapointing now, but few years later It will be much cooler.

I;ve visited some random event in my city and there was an occulus rift roller coaster. Since that time I am eager to by it, but not the alpha version. I think it is dissapointing now, but few years later It will be much cooler.

To be fair, the Rift is not an alpha product being released. As I've said previously, there's been AT LEAST two high volume sold development kit units that have enough polish that they could have been sold as consumer products...it would have really jacked up VR but they were competently built and well supported by Oculus.

The consumer release Rift is at least the fourth generation of Rift (DK1, DK2, Crystal Cove). While Crystal Cove wasn't released for public purchase, it was produced in enough quantities to be shown at trade conventions and demo'ed to the public.

To be fair, the Rift is not an alpha product being released. As I've said previously, there's been AT LEAST two high volume sold development kit units that have enough polish that they could have been sold as consumer products...it would have really jacked up VR but they were competently built and well supported by Oculus.

The consumer release Rift is at least the fourth generation of Rift (DK1, DK2, Crystal Cove). While Crystal Cove wasn't released for public purchase, it was produced in enough quantities to be shown at trade conventions and demo'ed to the public.

Yeah, the current crop of devices Vive, Rift etc. are ready for prime time. Like I have mentioned before these have been baking for basically 4+ years with some of the brightest minds the industry working on solving problems and improving the experience, time was on their side during this adventure and if they weren't confident or ready to release the devices they simply wouldn't be releasing in the next 6-8 months. Oculus also made sure that their software library had some heavy hitters by the time of release, it was and is incredibly important for these devices to be launched into the wild with a decent eco-system / software library.

Sure, the devices will improve over time just like any hardware/tech but these certainly aren't alpha/beta/guinea pig devices and the initial Rift and Vive models will be around for quite some time before we see any Gen 2. hardware, imo. There's going to be a shit ton of iteration and experience improvements post-release, especially from Valve.

Back