Oculis Rift preorders are up Jan.6th

I'm sorry you struggle with this.
I'm absolutely GLAD that they decided to make this the best they can.
If they had shipped it with serious issues that affect a lot of people, it would be slated and could fail.
They have done the right thing by us to fix the issues properly and then only charge cost price.
Thats amazing, not something to be pissed about.

Oh im not pissed, Rift doesnt even interest me i wouldn't buy it at $10.

I just find it funny that they bloated it with things that could be optional.

Doesn't matter if they give you an xbox controller at cost or not its additional cost that is not needed for everyone. id be willing to bet that most of the people that are buying a rift already have a gamepad. so that is a useless "feature" for most. How much of the other stuff on it is just bloat that could of been optional that they are providing at cost bloating the price...

Oh im not pissed, Rift doesnt even interest me i wouldn't buy it at $10.
Then I should report you for trolling.

I just find it funny that they bloated it with things that could be optional.

Doesn't matter if they give you an xbox controller at cost or not its additional cost that is not needed for everyone. id be willing to bet that most of the people that are buying a rift already have a gamepad. so that is a useless "feature" for most. How much of the other stuff on it is just bloat that could of been optional that they are providing at cost bloating the price...
If you thought about it, you would see that it is not a lose situation.
Getting products at cost, you can sell them for more.
If anything, their inclusion makes the product cheaper if you dont want them and cheaper if you do because you would pay more.

Can someone please tell me why people think $600 is an outrageous price for this, assuming it works as advertised.

Can someone please tell me why people think $600 is an outrageous price for this, assuming it works as advertised.

It all comes from Palmer Luckey's saying that it was gonna be in the ballpark of 350$, which would have given the item a mass market appeal.

At the current price it ends up being more niche than expected, and the rationalization that other solutions will fill in the lower price brackets doesn't fly that nice with everyone, thus they feel cheated.

I wonder also, if they fix the final version, so it's usable by people in glasses. During IFA and all the other shows I been able to try Rift, I was told to remove my glasses, becuse it didn't allow to set the distance from head. Only the PLayStation VR allowed me to wear glasses. Without them, there is no chance for me to enjoy the VR, and lenses are not the solution, as contacts and computer displays ain't going hand in hand for me.

I wonder also, if they fix the final version, so it's usable by people in glasses. During IFA and all the other shows I been able to try Rift, I was told to remove my glasses, becuse it didn't allow to set the distance from head. Only the PLayStation VR allowed me to wear glasses. Without them, there is no chance for me to enjoy the VR, and lenses are not the solution, as contacts and computer displays ain't going hand in hand for me.

http://www.roadtovr.com/oculus-says-consumer-rift-has-ipd-adjustment-and-better-design-for-glasses/

Those with glasses will also be happy to hear that the headset has been improved for spectacles, Oculus CEO Brendan Iribe said, as he and founder Palmer Luckey both sported glasses on stage.

"Oculus founder and inventor of the Oculus Rift virtual reality headset Palmer Luckey previously said that something would have to go "horribly wrong" to prevent the device from an official launch in 2015"

1:30 in video
http://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/...et-oculus-rift-founder-palmer-luckey/4740631/

the around $350 price tag promise. and just tons of things that were said and were never achieved such as 1080p per eye wirelessly. People are disappointed and have the right to be.

The price is definitely high, I won't argue that with you but, if you tried VR you'd understand how ridiculous it is to try and compare TrackIR to the Rift. Unfortunately, it has to be experienced to really grasp how much better VR can be over a monitor. I say unfortunately because there doesn't seem to be any widespread attempts to interact with consumers and get them familiar by using store kiosks and what not.

Ya know, with a $600 price point, they should have partnered with Best Buy to be the sole brick and mortar supplier in exchange for in-store demoing.

This. I have yet to meet anyone that has actually tried the Rift that doesn't see the value in VR and the Rift specifically. Of my limited subset of friends that have tried it, no one is upset about the price. Most of us (myself included) have decided to wait for gen2 mostly because it's closer to $1k here in Canada (poor exchange rate) and we want to see more software first, but we all see the value in the technology. The price thing was a communications fail by Palmer, which he acknowledged in some interview I read earlier today. $600 for a bleeding edge tech toy is actually not bad at all. Folks would do well to remember the days of high end gaming PC's costing $2,000+ back in the 90's and that is not inflation adjusted :)

Witcher 3 would be amazing but I found that any FPS type experience caused motion sickness for me (this was on DK1). I am more excited about games where the player is a fixed position (car, space sims).

Witcher 3 would be amazing but I found that any FPS type experience caused motion sickness for me (this was on DK1). I am more excited about games where the player is a fixed position (car, space sims).

Have you been able to try a DK2? The lower latency, reduced SDE, and low persistence were supposed to really help with motion sickness. I only have the DK2 so I can't make the comparison myself.

I can't see VR working in games outside of ones where you are in a fixed position

I can't see VR working in games outside of ones where you are in a fixed position

Can you explain this point further.
Which games are not viewed from a fixed position that could benefit from a 3D image?
ie Witcher 3 has mouse look which VR could use to great effect.
A little confused about what you mean.

Can you explain this point further.
Which games are not viewed from a fixed position that could benefit from a 3D image?

a fixed position meaning your character/avatar doesn't have much range of motion...you could sit in your seat at home and enjoy a pure VR experience...a game which requires you to walk around the environment and interact with people, places etc like Fallout 4 or Dark Souls would be harder to pull off in VR's current form

I'm not so sure.
You still use a mouse swivel feature to change your characters orientation.
On top of that you can swivel your head around to quickly see what is around you.
I think that will be pretty cool.

Did you mean something else?

a fixed position meaning your character/avatar doesn't have much range of motion...you could sit in your seat at home and enjoy a pure VR experience...a game which requires you to walk around the environment and interact with people, places etc like Fallout 4 or Dark Souls would be harder to pull off in VR's current form

Why do you say moving character is harder to pull off?

What kind of screens are in the Oculus Rift? Are they HDR like this AMD demo from CES? If not I think I'd rather wait for a HDR set in all honesty.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MnvctltAKLE

Palmer Luckey AMA

Question
Can we have some detailed information about the screens/displays? FOV/Resolution/pixelfill/pentile/etc... these are custom displays, we want to know everything

Luckey's Response
We will be sharing more soon. We have done a lot of work optimizing and building these displays, we definitely want people to see how awesome they are.

Why do you say moving character is harder to pull off?

not a moving character...but an active moving character...VR would work fine just walking around slowly interacting with random objects or people...but an action heavy game with guns, swords etc like the Far Cry series or Crysis etc would be challenging with the fast movement, VR controls etc...VR in its current state doesn't seem suited for that...maybe in a few years but right now I see the best VR games being racing or flight types

not a moving character...but an active moving character...VR would work fine just walking around slowly interacting with random objects or people...but an action heavy game with guns, swords etc like the Far Cry series or Crysis etc would be challenging with the fast movement, VR controls etc...VR in its current state doesn't seem suited for that...maybe in a few years but right now I see the best VR games being racing or flight types

I still don't understand why you think it would be an issue.

freesync works over HDMI as well, but its really not that hard for a device to have both DP and hdmi connections, and no one in their right mind would want it to have Gsync, which is why i said i understand why it doesn't have that.

as for the bloated price that is totally on Oculus for over charging, and bundling Garbage with it like an xbox controller or Eve Valkyrie to name a few things, as well as un needed features like built in headphones ect which could of easily been optional features to reduce costs for those that do not need them or want them.

Low persistence doesnt sound that great any way, it sounds like it could have strobing effects or other side effects. Having other options like freesync seems like a solid choice and if nvidia wants to keep locking out open standards and hurting their customers that is the customers fault for choosing nvidia it is not a reason to punish the rest of the community.

The motion blur caused by persistence is unbearable on a head mounted display.
85hz is above the flickering tolerance for most people.
This is why the Rift uses a low persistence 90hz display.

GSYNC and FreeSync don't work with low persistence yet.
I'm sure we'll eventually see low persistence GSYNC/FreeSync in future VR headsets and OLED monitors, but it will be a while.

i wonder what effects this thing will have on your eye sight?

It will let you see things in 3D :p
The devkits have been used for years and the problems worked through.
Your focal distance is far enough away to not cause any more problems than looking at a screen.

I still don't understand why you think it would be an issue.

I could be mistaken but I believe they are referring to disorientation felt. A seated perspective such as a flight or racing sim has you framed in a relatively static environment. You end up using your head movements just to change your view not the actual car/space ship's direction/heading. This is a situation we as humans are already accustomed to.

Demos and "patched" games I have tried out with my DK1 and DK2 which mapped the head-turning with actual in game character turning became disorienting. Often I found myself fighting the KB/mouse or controller which I was using to supplement turn speed and accuracy.

With time we will find a more natural means of controlling view and movement as well as training ourselves to interact in new ways. In the meantime the most comfortable experiences we have today tend to be things like racing and space sims.

Well turning your head shouldn't turn the character, when i turn my head in real life my body doesn't turn, the optimal situation is with the mouse controlling your body orientation and aim point for weapons, while the oculus or other VR system is just controlling head look and possible upper body leaning to peek corners.

Pretty much how SC is handling on foot movements and assault rifles and pistols are still bound to the mouse.

Generally games are really only a partial VR experience because you are sitting down your not actually in situations to fully walk around and for your character to emulate that. So you design your game to take advantage of head look with the VR but you still play the game like you normally would with mouse and keyboard or joystick or gamepad.

Well turning your head shouldn't turn the character, when i turn my head in real life my body doesn't turn, the optimal situation is with the mouse controlling your body orientation and aim point for weapons, while the oculus or other VR system is just controlling head look and possible upper body leaning to peek corners.

Pretty much how SC is handling on foot movements and assault rifles and pistols are still bound to the mouse.

Generally games are really only a partial VR experience because you are sitting down your not actually in situations to fully walk around and for your character to emulate that. So you design your game to take advantage of head look with the VR but you still play the game like you normally would with mouse and keyboard or joystick or gamepad.

Agreed, but few games have been designed that way.

I could be mistaken but I believe they are referring to disorientation felt. A seated perspective such as a flight or racing sim has you framed in a relatively static environment. You end up using your head movements just to change your view not the actual car/space ship's direction/heading. This is a situation we as humans are already accustomed to.

Demos and "patched" games I have tried out with my DK1 and DK2 which mapped the head-turning with actual in game character turning became disorienting. Often I found myself fighting the KB/mouse or controller which I was using to supplement turn speed and accuracy.

With time we will find a more natural means of controlling view and movement as well as training ourselves to interact in new ways. In the meantime the most comfortable experiences we have today tend to be things like racing and space sims.

Well ya, I can understand trying to rig VR to work with games that aren't VR friendly with their free look/aiming controls. If you're in a game that has independent look and aiming controls though, there shouldn't be much of an issue. When we tell our bodies to move, we have a visual expectation and we actually do the same thing with vehicles. I'm sure an experience we have all shared is being in a car with a driver who's driving style vastly differs from our own. When we get that pit of the stomach feeling because they aren't breaking when you'd expect or accelerating when you don't expect, it's because we have an expectation and our perception systems are prepared for what we would do but then they are thrown off by what the driver does. If you're in a VR game and movement occurs that you don't anticipate, it can be a pretty shitty feeling.

Assuming VR takes off and mainstream devs find the time it takes to code VR into their game/game engines, the next Battlefield or COD release could feel right at home. Ever since Battlefield 2, I've wanted to be able to look out over the side of my plane while using the control surfaces or track an enemy plane while manipulating the controls, something that's not been possible in 2,3 or 4. How about an interior location as infantry, being able to peak around a corner instead of exposing your body would be great...especially if you're a Sniper and you get to put one through the eye socket of someone doing the peeking :D .

I'm not a game dev. but it doesn't seem like it would be difficult to set controls up for this and then just add a HUD indicator of some sort to show where your crosshairs are at when they're not in your field of vision.

$600 is less than I've spent on a decent S-IPS panel when that tech was new. This is OLED. 3D. VR. Not sure I see the software support yet but the price is fine.

No, what game specifically. I looked at the list. Elite Dangerous?

Depends what you prefer.
Elite Dangerous is definitely a good one.
Another is Alien Isolation
The 2 games that come with it are reported to be very good.

There is a tool called Vorpx that allows you to play D3D 9, 10 and 11 games on it.

Have you been able to try a DK2? The lower latency, reduced SDE, and low persistence were supposed to really help with motion sickness. I only have the DK2 so I can't make the comparison myself.

Unfortunately no, my friend has DK1 and that's all I've been able to try.

I'll be buying a Rift at some point. I'll probably wait a year or so from launch just to see how the software and controllers flesh out and for next gen GPU's to come out.

Other posters articulated the issues that happens from games where your character is moving/running (like an FPS) while you are physically sitting in a chair.

I would Say EvE: Valkyrie is more the killer app than Elite Dangerous.. at least for the time being.

As well as Arma series.

Problem I see with the ArmA series is that you NEED a mouse and keyboard, and there are quite a number of keys...which you won't be able to see.

*Edited...I guess a bunch of sites got duped about the vive costing $1500.

Last edited:
Back