OCUK have overclocked Ryzen at CES

I skimmed it and didn't see it. Could you link it?

Bother. It's been disappeared. That was quick.

However, you can still draw the inference because OCUK's resident overclocking guru, 8 Pack, is there and involved.

I saw somewhere that it will take a Ryzen running at 4ghz to match the speed of a non-overclocked Skylake 6700k

I saw somewhere that it will take a Ryzen running at 4ghz to match the speed of a non-overclocked Skylake 6700k

Well those thoughts are based on the fact that a 6700K is a faster processor for gaming than an Intel 6900K in general because having less cores allow for higher core speeds due to less heat generation. Of course nobody in their right mind thinks a 6700K is a better processor than a 6900K. Games respond to higher single core speeds than more cores in general although the latest console ports with their terrific multi threading are changing this narrative. I believe AMD has stated that there will be 6 cores and maybe 4 cores. So these lesser chips will have a greater chance of running at higher speeds and thus the possibility of matching a 6700K.

Theory and reality are two different things. So just wait for reviews. ;) Speculation is fun and great, until people start expecting loose gum flapping to be real. Ha ha!

Pleasee remember gaming is a small meteric. The PC market is far less concerned with gaming. Anyone that buys a 8/16 zen for just gaming is highly misinformed. Get the 4 core if you want higher clockspeed. The zen is apparently neck to neck with the 6900k or faster in some cases. The 6900k and zen will run circles around a 6700k in all things production. Just stomp that thing. But gaming will work absolutely incredible on the zen 8/16 and you won't tell a fledgling of a difference.

Pleasee remember gaming is a small meteric. The PC market is far less concerned with gaming. Anyone that buys a 8/16 zen for just gaming is highly misinformed. Get the 4 core if you want higher clockspeed. The zen is apparently neck to neck with the 6900k or faster in some cases. The 6900k and zen will run circles around a 6700k in all things production. Just stomp that thing. But gaming will work absolutely incredible on the zen 8/16 and you won't tell a fledgling of a difference.

People buying comouters for rendering is a even smaller market than gaming.

People buying comouters for rendering is a even smaller market than gaming.

There is more to production than rendering, and many of them conveniently have a higher company budget for the rig than your gamer chap as well.

true in most cases. However, you do get a better experience with more cores in some games esp multiplayer games. Battlefield 4, and 1 are prime examples.

Considering that a 6700K runs at 4GHz that's not necessarily shocking... Depends on if the benchmark is single core speed or multi core. If single not bad if multi that is disappointing..

Back