Octopus Prefer HDTV

HardOCP News

[H] News
A scientist in Australia claims that Octopus prefer HDTV compared to plain ol’ standard definition TV. Ummm, alrighty then.

She suspected previous efforts to show movies to octopuses failed because their sophisticated eyes were too fast for the 24-frame per second format of standard-definition video. "They would have seen it as a series of still pictures," said Miss Pronk, who had success using high-definition, operating at 50 frames per second.

I guess this is along the lines of some study I read about cats and dogs. Many cats could not see a TV screen while dogs could...or was it vice versa? Either way, it was a study looking into the actual speed the brain can process images and identify what's there besides just random light...not too unrelated to what I'm considering for my Master's Thesis in Computer Science. Computer vision and object recognition...ie. there has to be something better than facial recognition you can fool with a photo...is one of 3 or 4 areas I'm looking into.

Serious WTF at the last line of the article:
She confessed that her work made it difficult to dine on octopus.
She's still EATING them? Wouldn't that be a conflict of interest?

Does she still throw them on the ice at the Joe? That's what I want to know.

She should get one of those "120Hz" TVs that makes everything look like it was recorded on cheap tape.

Actually Blu-Ray toutes "Full" HD to be 1080p at 24 fps. Hence many players have 1080p/24 output (no 3:2 pulldown) as a feature.

bingo. "True HD" is marketing, unless you are referring to Dolby audio.

I think the ASTC standard states that HDTV only requires support up to 30Hz

I would make a great "scientist"...my first project: can bears wipe thier asses with rabbits?

Does she still throw them on the ice at the Joe? That's what I want to know.

No, but she takes them to games, but the couldn't see the replays of Federov abandoning us on the Jumbotron, so she had to do this study.

Honestly I personally say 1080p is the only true hd. Why?

720p is NOT that huge a difference over 480p, esp. once you get to 32" or more.

Honestly I personally say 1080p is the only true hd.
I don't know why people tend to make things so complicated. Why is "True HD" even a concept we concern ourselves with given that we know what 720i/p and 1080i/p are? Why would we even discuss it?

Now, as for octopi watching HDTV...

True HD is a BS marketing term used by companies to sell 1080p over 720p/1080i which are also 100% HD as much as 1080p is.

Call it a marketing term if you wish, but 1080p MURDERS 720p/1080i if it's native.

Honestly I personally say 1080p is the only true hd. Why?

720p is NOT that huge a difference over 480p, esp. once you get to 32" or more.

I don't know why people tend to make things so complicated. Why is "True HD" even a concept we concern ourselves with given that we know what 720i/p and 1080i/p are? Why would we even discuss it?

Now, as for octopi watching HDTV...

I think you're all wrong. Clearly, 4320p is the only "true" HD. :D

...still no cure for aids.

Thank god we know octopus prefer HD!

The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds new discoveries, is not 'Eureka!' ('I found it!') but rather 'hmm....that's funny...'
-Isaac Asimov

Penicillin was discovered due to a petri dish had been forgotten...science is not a linear street, a discovery in one field can lead to major breakthroughs in another seemingly unrelated topic...and all knowlegde is good.

She had to find something else to do with the ones that survived the "Throwing Octopi against a Wall to see if they Would Stick" research. :p

The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds new discoveries, is not 'Eureka!' ('I found it!') but rather 'hmm....that's funny...'
-Isaac Asimov

Penicillin was discovered due to a petri dish had been forgotten...science is not a linear street, a discovery in one field can lead to major breakthroughs in another seemingly unrelated topic...and all knowlegde is good.

*laughing* you are waaay to wound up man! :D

not even a little chuckle? even with them playing crysis?

Octopus prefers
Octopi prefer
If you're going to correct, correct. :p Look up the origin of the word "octopus," and you'll understand why it should be "octopodes." Or "octopuses," if you subscribe to the bastardized form. :rolleyes:

Irregardless, octopi is wrongest.

*laughing* you are waaay to wound up man! :D

Not really, getting off work in les than a hour, so I am pretty relaxed...

not even a little chuckle? even with them playing crysis?
Let me make this clear for you, without any doubt:
no
no
no
no
no
no
no
no
no
no
no
no
no
no
no
no
no
no
no

I like to think of octopus as a plural/singular form. Kind of like moose, no mooses or other such nonsense.

If you're going to correct, correct. :p Look up the origin of the word "octopus," and you'll understand why it should be "octopodes." Or "octopuses," if you subscribe to the bastardized form. :rolleyes:

Irregardless, octopi is wrongest.

subject verb agreement > word entomology

Back