October Nexus Prime rumors

I have to agree, the note is amazing, I want it so bad.

Yeah I have a blue Note now with a white one on order and I definitely wouldn't trade it to get a Nexus. Once you go to a 5" screen you never want to downgrade to something smaller. I've got mine sitting on my desk on the official Samsung dock and it's great. The only thing that can be said positive about the Nexus over the Note is that it is on Verizon instead of AT&T.

The rumor mill says AT&T is going to be releasing the Galaxy Note here in the States before long if you want subsidized pricing but I don't know how soon. But you can purchase one unlocked here in the US for under $700 USD now which isn't any more than what people are paying for an unlocked Nexus.

http://www.tekkaus.com/2011/12/samsung-galaxy-note-with-its-mighty-s.html

The Note has to look hilarious up against the side of your head when you're talking to it. Even at its resolution, I couldn't stand having a device that big, mostly because I have really small hands and I'm sure I couldn't even comfortably hold the Note with one hand. I could barely hold/use the RAZR with one hand in the store.

It seems the delay now is purely political due to the Google Wallet vs. Isis ordeal. :mad: Read this thread if you keep up with the news constantly. The mods keep the OP updated pretty well, but that thread gets like 50 posts a min, lol. It's impossible to keep up with..

Yeah I have a blue Note now with a white one on order and I definitely wouldn't trade it to get a Nexus. Once you go to a 5" screen you never want to downgrade to something smaller. I've got mine sitting on my desk on the official Samsung dock and it's great. The only thing that can be said positive about the Nexus over the Note is that it is on Verizon instead of AT&T.

The rumor mill says AT&T is going to be releasing the Galaxy Note here in the States before long if you want subsidized pricing but I don't know how soon. But you can purchase one unlocked here in the US for under $700 USD now which isn't any more than what people are paying for an unlocked Nexus.

man i hope VZW gets the Note in first quarter 2012....AOSP on a Note would hold me for a long time

its a big screen but the bezel is small, i would say not that much larger than the Droid X or Bionic today....no big deal, wider actually is more comfortable to hold

The Note has to look hilarious up against the side of your head when you're talking to it. Even at its resolution, I couldn't stand having a device that big, mostly because I have really small hands and I'm sure I couldn't even comfortably hold the Note with one hand. I could barely hold/use the RAZR with one hand in the store.

Most people who talk about owning the Note and using it out in public have stated either people around them didn't pay any added attention to the phone at all or if they did most were really interested and wondered where they could buy one. If you live in big cities like NYC it's nothing strange to see people using large devices everywhere you go so people are used to it. And my hands are medium sized and I don't have any trouble at all holding it in one hand and talking on it because the Note is really thin and light.

Anybody using a note should be on a headset 95% of the time. Giant phones.

I was super psyched about the new Prime -- but after learning of it's inability to be used as a simple USB storage drive, that kills it for me. I use that feature SO much it's unreal.

Currently in the HTC Evo - running latest cyanogen mod 7, very happy of course. My contract is up in April - so I hope there will be some badass phones out by then. I'm 6'1 and have big hands -- the Samsung Note looks fun, but last I read they don't know if its coming over to the US?

It seems the delay now is purely political due to the Google Wallet vs. Isis ordeal. :mad: Read this thread if you keep up with the news constantly. The mods keep the OP updated pretty well, but that thread gets like 50 posts a min, lol. It's impossible to keep up with..

Ya, and more than half of the threads are whines about the evil VZW. I think the average age of the posters over there is about 19...

I was super psyched about the new Prime -- but after learning of it's inability to be used as a simple USB storage drive, that kills it for me. I use that feature SO much it's unreal.

Currently in the HTC Evo - running latest cyanogen mod 7, very happy of course. My contract is up in April - so I hope there will be some badass phones out by then. I'm 6'1 and have big hands -- the Samsung Note looks fun, but last I read they don't know if its coming over to the US?

It works fine in Windows machines...

It works fine in Windows machines...

Yeah, it's a non-issue for Windows Vista/7 users. Works just the same as an external drive, it just uses a different protocol to do it. It's also a better solution because the phone can use the storage at the same time as the PC, unlike SD cards that have to be mounted/unmounted when transferring files between the phone and PC.

For Mac users, you just have to install some software (that's named in the settings and gives a URL for it) for you to transfer files.

Which carrier? I'm thinking about pulling the trigger on the Sprint version.

Sprint. The Google Voice integration is pretty sweet, and their 'Network Vision' plan seems pretty solid- it's just this next year that will be a little rough- luckily my area has WiMax coverage until Sprint's LTE network gets up and running.

The screen on this thing is awesome, and to my surprise, the bluetooth stack looks like it supports AVRCP 1.3 at the very least (song metadata displays in my car now). I'm not sure if i'm going to bother with another ROM at this point... at least not until a decent ICS port is out. The stock UI really isn't that bad.

Sprint. The Google Voice integration is pretty sweet, and their 'Network Vision' plan seems pretty solid- it's just this next year that will be a little rough- luckily my area has WiMax coverage until Sprint's LTE network gets up and running.

The screen on this thing is awesome, and to my surprise, the bluetooth stack looks like it supports AVRCP 1.3 at the very least (song metadata displays in my car now). I'm not sure if i'm going to bother with another ROM at this point... at least not until a decent ICS port is out. The stock UI really isn't that bad.
Will the Sprint GS2 be able to handle LTE once its up and running?

Will the Sprint GS2 be able to handle LTE once its up and running?

Unless there is a magic rabbit inside the phone, no. WiMax service will continue to be around, but by then i'm sure i'll have a new phone anyways. LTE compatible devices supposedly go on sale this summer.

Unless there is a magic rabbit inside the phone, no. WiMax service will continue to be around, but by then i'm sure i'll have a new phone anyways. LTE compatible devices supposedly go on sale this summer.
Yeah, I knew... I was hoping you might say you found out it really could run on LTE. :p

I am envious of you sir.

That and the fact that Sprint gets its WiMAX from ClearWire, and will be getting its LTE via LightSquared, and they run on different frequencies.

Because of this, as far as I know Sprint doesn't need to turn off its WiMAX service to turn on LTE. We might see a short period of overlap when Sprint transitions.

I get 12 meg down via WiMAX on my Epic 4G so I can't complain too much.

That and the fact that Sprint gets its WiMAX from ClearWire, and will be getting its LTE via LightSquared, and they run on different frequencies.

Because of this, as far as I know Sprint doesn't need to turn off its WiMAX service to turn on LTE. We might see a short period of overlap when Sprint transitions.

Sprint has said as much in their press releases regarding 'network vision.' LTE deployment however is independent of their LightSquared arrangement as they are converting their 1900MHz to 5x5 FDD-LTE as well as their 800MHz spectrum once iDEN is shut down. I think LightSquared is 1600Mhz, and Cleariwre is 2.5GHz. Interesting enough, Clearwire is going to be implementing TD-LTE, so any chipset for Sprint handsets will need to support both FD and TD. If Sprint financially survives this next year and actually pulls off (and finds financing for) their nationwide 'vision' rollout, their network will be vastly superior to VZWs and will have the same building penetration that VZW has thanks to their 800MHz holdings. Also, since Sprint is deploying LTE Advanced, they can bond the 5x5 connections from different spectrum blocks into a single uber connection... pretty sweet.

Technologically Sprint's future network is amazing, and since it's actually being rolled out RIGHT NOW, i'm inclined to stay put with them for now....

As for the Nexus- I stopped by Radio Shack today to see if I would be able to buy one- no dice. They had 'several' in stock and the manager said that she would be able to sell them next week. From her perspective this rollout was fantastic since she has the devices in stock prior to the ads appearing on TV, etc.....Apparently I was the first person to ask about the phone?? Where are all the geeks?

Where are all the geeks?

I ask myself this question all the time. I don't know a single person that is a tech enthusiast. None. Most people are using store bought junk pc's full of bloatware and whatever cell phone is cheapest at the time. Frequenting a forum like this give's the impression that most people are "educated" in tech and shit, but the real world is completely opposite. Most people REALLY can't program their microwave. It's crazy.

Most people couldn't care less about customizing their phones. As long as the phones make calls, send/receive texts/e-mails, surf the web and plot the quickest route to the local Chinese restaurant then it's all good.

My current phone is crippled and I need an upgrade badly. My early upgrade is coming in a few days so I decided to make a trip to my local Verizon store. I asked about a number of things, including the Droid 4 and Galaxy Nexus.

I realize this is all hearsay, but the representative I spoke with said the Nexus would be available next week (what better place to put this than the rumors thread). He said he was allowed to "test" (play with) a working version, but all he could show me was the dummy model. Sure enough, he pulled the non-working sample out of a drawer and I got a chance to check it out. Now that I've seen it in person, I'm even more impressed with the design. For as big a screen as it has, the device did not seem over sized at all. The build did not seem "cheap" so it seems that the durability of a plastic housing does not have the usual opportunity cost of a flimsy structure. The weight was nice too... felt like you were holding something of $300, not a toy. Before anyone asks, I did not verify the price.

Anyway, I hope what the rep told me is true. I have a $50 certificate to Verizon that needs to be used before the 31st of December. I don't want to wait much longer than that anyway because my current phone is in such bad shape. If I'm forced to wait longer than that I'll probably end up with a Razr or *gasp* the Rezound (which does actually have a very nice screen).

The rep seemed to know a fair bit about the Nexus, which is promising. He did not, however, give any information whatsoever about the Droid 4, which is interesting because the latest rumors had the two phones released at about the same time. Only time will tell I suppose.

I have a $50 certificate to Verizon that needs to be used before the 31st of December. I don't want to wait much longer than that anyway because my current phone is in such bad shape. If I'm forced to wait longer than that I'll probably end up with a Razr or *gasp* the Rezound (which does actually have a very nice screen).

Verizon extended their returns window for the holidays, so you could get something and swap it out for a Nexus whenever it's released...

"Purchases made between November 15 and December 28, 2011 may be returned or exchanged through January 15, 2012."

http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/globalText?textName=RETURN_POLICY&jspName=footer/returnPolicy.jsp

Verizon extended their returns window for the holidays, so you could get something and swap it out for a Nexus whenever it's released...

"Purchases made between November 15 and December 28, 2011 may be returned or exchanged through January 15, 2012."

http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/globalText?textName=RETURN_POLICY&jspName=footer/returnPolicy.jsp

That's crossed my mind, and I'll probably end up doing that if the Nexus isn't released next week. I just hope there's no complications with an exchange from a purchase with an expired coupon in January.

That's crossed my mind, and I'll probably end up doing that if the Nexus isn't released next week. I just hope there's no complications with an exchange from a purchase with an expired coupon in January.

No, there's no justification required to return it, just a $35 re-stock fee.

Edit: Read that wrong somehow. Nevermind. I wouldn't think you'd have an issue exchanging it while keeping the $50 off though.

Most people couldn't care less about customizing their phones. As long as the phones make calls, send/receive texts/e-mails, surf the web and plot the quickest route to the local Chinese restaurant then it's all good.

Say what :eek: That is blasphemy. LOL

Thats why they make iPhones. Simple phone for simple people.

Just an FYI, Samsung has updated the I9100 in Asia with a new model called the I9100G. The "G" model uses a TI OMAP4 SoC, just like the Galaxy Nexus, but with the better camera, and removable memory of the Galaxy S2 series.

The main advantage of having the OMAP in the "G" version is that Ti is simply the best SoC vendor... they have open sourced the drivers for the chip, and now the Cyanogenmod team is beginning to port to it.... with even higher expectations than they have for the regular Exynos version in the end...

Just an FYI, Samsung has updated the I9100 in Asia with a new model called the I9100G. The "G" model uses a TI OMAP4 SoC, just like the Galaxy Nexus, but with the better camera, and removable memory of the Galaxy S2 series.

The main advantage of having the OMAP in the "G" version is that Ti is simply the best SoC vendor... they have open sourced the drivers for the chip, and now the Cyanogenmod team is beginning to port to it.... with even higher expectations than they have for the regular Exynos version in the end...

By the time something like that makes it to the States, the S2 will be old news and we will all be salivating over some quad-core phone like the HTC Zeta... I wonder what their rationale for switching SOCs was since the engineering costs to redesign the hardware aren't negligible i'm sure... something doesn't add up since it's not like Samsung is designing phones to cater to cyanogenmod.

Anyways- both chipsets use A9 processors, and the only real difference after that is your GPU- Mali 400MP vs PowerVR SGX540.

By the time something like that makes it to the States, the S2 will be old news and we will all be salivating over some quad-core phone like the HTC Zeta... I wonder what their rationale for switching SOCs was since the engineering costs to redesign the hardware aren't negligible i'm sure... something doesn't add up since it's not like Samsung is designing phones to cater to cyanogenmod.

Anyways- both chipsets use A9 processors, and the only real difference after that is your GPU- Mali 400MP vs PowerVR SGX540.

OMAP4 also has the IVA for video processing.

I called vzw customer service and told them my concerns on the nexus not being released within the livingsocial voucher period. The rep noted it on my account and said he would call me personally to get me a phone once it releases. My dinc is cracked, so the delays are obnoxious as hell.

Ive also heard several things from different vzw reps. One said they have zero in their store, another said they have boxes in the back but cant sell them. No luck yet though getting to see or hold one, even a dummy. Hate the feel of the razr and rezound.

I ask myself this question all the time. I don't know a single person that is a tech enthusiast. None. Most people are using store bought junk pc's full of bloatware and whatever cell phone is cheapest at the time. Frequenting a forum like this give's the impression that most people are "educated" in tech and shit, but the real world is completely opposite. Most people REALLY can't program their microwave. It's crazy.

THIS is the world we live in guys......the sooner you figure it out the better off you will be

you have to go through life with the understanding that everybody around you is technology starved. They may carry the best phone around but they have no fucking clue why. Most people are really stupid.

My upgrade with NE2 discount is January 14th. Hopefully it will be released by then...

I went through yesterday's posts, but didn't see this posted.

Is the Galaxy Nexus Still a “Nexus?”

For GSM only one build, yakju, updates will be coming from Google. The Canadian versions for example, will receive (slower) updates from Samsung.

There is no confirmation about the build(s) of the Verizon LTE version. There is mention of a LTE build being controlled by Google called mysid in this thread here. Unless there are going to be multiple LTE versions of this phone, there's still hope for the Verizon release of the phone.

Edit: A quick google for Galaxy Nexus mysid shows that the Verizon LTE version is Google supported.

As far as I understand, it's just a replacement for NEON, which does handles HD video processing in most other ARM SoCs.

If anyone bothered to implement it though the IVA has a programmable DSP for expandability to support hardware decoding of any codec's you want. Out of the box it supports most of the major ones including Divx.

I went through yesterday's posts, but didn't see this posted.

Is the Galaxy Nexus Still a “Nexus?”

For GSM only one build, yakju, updates will be coming from Google. The Canadian versions for example, will receive (slower) updates from Samsung.

There is no confirmation about the build(s) of the Verizon LTE version. There is mention of a LTE build being controlled by Google called mysid in this thread here. Unless there are going to be multiple LTE versions of this phone, there's still hope for the Verizon release of the phone.

Edit: A quick google for Galaxy Nexus mysid shows that the Verizon LTE version is Google supported.

This is good news. I would hope that Google can control their platform more and more, as heretical as it sounds I'd like to see Google become more controlling of their platform ala Apple. Verizon and the other companies need to stop shoveling bloatware down our throats and give us options to use their options. Make better and more efficent platforms with excellent software and I guarantee people would use their apps.

Back