October Nexus Prime rumors

I'm seriously perplexed at how Verizon is handling the launch of the Nexus. Maybe I'm just impatient but all I can say is wow
You're not alone. I'll be willing to bet that after this mess this will be the last time Google uses Verizon as the exclusive carrier.

I'm seriously perplexed at how Verizon is handling the launch of the Nexus. Maybe I'm just impatient but all I can say is wow

Has Verizon made an official announcement for Friday Dec 15th release ? This is just ridiculous :rolleyes: Google announces the phone in mid October, and now mid December still no official launch date in the U.S. I just do not understand the hold up ?

Again, have to give Apple credit on launching new devices. They have a big show, reveal the new device, then also state the approx date it will come out, and the specific carriers that will be selling it. Typically released within a few weeks of the reveal.

Why couldn't Google do this for the Galaxy-Nexus ?

But GUISE! The WHITE RAZR will be here tomorrow! It's going to blow the Nexus away! Why else would Verizon announce it instead of the Nexus today?!

I've been debating on if I want to use my NE2 and buy the phone, or just buy it outright and keep paying month to month as my 2-year agreement has been up for a month now.

I can't really take the Verizon Nexus anywhere with me, and of course I could always sell it but then I would loose out on unlimited data/3g/4g if I switch to another carrier. Then again, maybe in two years every carrier will have unlimited data again anyway.

Just spoke with a Verizon rep. I am now officially eligible for my early upgrade ...and also now officially joining the waiting game party. Curse you, Verizon, for putting me in this position.

The link above says that Verizon officially announced they were going to make an official announcement. The evidence points towards Dec 15. You don't suppose they'd do this the same day as release, do you? As in "SURPRISE! It's available RIGHT NOW!"

Debacle is an understatement.

This blows. Wtf are they doing?

No clue, it's definitely a perplexing business strategy, heh. I just had my local Verizon store call me to set up an appointment to get the phone tomorrow though (I called them last week to be put on their call list for it). So I think that's a pretty damn good indicator that it will be out tomorrow :cool:.

I've been debating on if I want to use my NE2 and buy the phone, or just buy it outright and keep paying month to month as my 2-year agreement has been up for a month now.

I can't really take the Verizon Nexus anywhere with me, and of course I could always sell it but then I would loose out on unlimited data/3g/4g if I switch to another carrier. Then again, maybe in two years every carrier will have unlimited data again anyway.

What do you mean you "can't take it anywhere with you"? You travel overseas? If so, Verizon has plenty of global (CDMA/GSM) phones available. I think the best one out right now is probably the Droid 3 or Incredible 2. I don't think any of their 4G/LTE phones have global/GSM capability since I'm sure the LTE radio and SIM card take up too much room. So yeah, unfortunately the Verizon Nexus wouldn't be a good option for you. I would probably, if you can afford it, get an unlocked GSM Nexus if you really want one and use it on AT&T/T-Mobile in the states since it works on both carriers 4(faux)G networks.

No clue, it's definitely a perplexing business strategy, heh. I just had my local Verizon store call me to set up an appointment to get the phone tomorrow though (I called them last week to be put on their call list for it). So I think that's a pretty damn good indicator that it will be out tomorrow :cool:.

You're getting the White Razr instead haha!

Just went to the kiosk down the road from me. They said that if they get any in stock (their daily shipment hadn't shown up yet), they would be selling them tomorrow for $279 (new or upgrade).

Just went to the kiosk down the road from me. They said that if they get any in stock (their daily shipment hadn't shown up yet), they would be selling them tomorrow for $279 (new or upgrade).

I'm tellin' ya. "SURPRISE!"

verizon tweeted it, its official.... tweeter is slooooow right now.... lol

Funny that I got my Droid locked up at work tonight in an area where all personnel that has access to it have gone for the day. So as my last night with my Droid, it's locked up at work, lol.

I'm scheduled to pick mine up after work tomorrow, I can't wait :D.

Buying a new phone reminds me of my only major dislike about Android.

I have no way to backup/restore the application data for my games and apps without rooting the new phone.

Buying a new phone reminds me of my only major dislike about Android.

I have no way to backup/restore the application data for my games and apps without rooting the new phone.

I was just thinking the same. Let's not forget there isn't an sd card on the Nexus. Should make for some great threads.

Correct me if I'm wrong. Can't you just use something like titanium backup. Copy the backup files to your computer.

Get new phone. Root new phone. Copy files from PC to phone. Titanium backup to restore.

Yes? No?

Surely you technical people can figure something out.

I'm not worried.

I was just thinking the same. Let's not forget there isn't an sd card on the Nexus. Should make for some great threads.

Indeed. At least I'm not going in totally blind here. It works like a Honeycomb tablet's internal storage. So, you just need to be sure to back it up before you blow it up. I tried to maintain this practice even with my Inc with it's SD card though.

At least lock/unlock root/unroot is easy. It's just destructive.

Correct me if I'm wrong. Can't you just use something like titanium backup. Copy the backup files to your computer.

Get new phone. Root new phone. Copy files from PC to phone. Titanium backup to restore.

Yes? No?

Surely you technical people can figure something out.

I'm not worried.

That will work just fine. I just want to advise everyone to thoroughly test their phone before rooting it to verify there's no hardware issues.

I don't mean to piss in anyone's Cheerios, but, I don't believe the LTE Nexus has been rooted.

Just set up my tent at verizon and I am the first in line!! Only 12 more hours, not sure if my og droid is gonna make it through the night.

Just set up my tent at verizon and I am the first in line!! Only 12 more hours, not sure if my og droid is gonna make it through the night.

notsureifserious.jpg

As expected, heh. It wouldn't be a Nexus phone if it wasn't rooted/unlocked before launched! :p

I thought you could use Titanium to back up app data without root access too? I'm not sure though; I had my Droid rooted long before Titanium Backup was on the market.

You don't need an SD card slot on the Nexus to restore that data though. Either transfer the data through a PC (prolly what I'll do) or use the Dropbox feature integrated into Titanium Backup.

Sorry, but I don't see what you're getting at.

Android isn't lacking or slow at doing something - that is the point of all tasks running at the same priority.

The difference in having Launcher at 0 or higher nice versus lower than 0 and running updates or installing apps from the market is pretty obvious, at least on a single core device.

By "lacking or slow at doing something" I was talking about how you were trying to explain that its due to task priority. iOS runs tasks in a similar way which lead to some of the previous misconceptions made there from Dianne's original post and what you just stated about installing updates or doing some other tasks. Tasks are important, but it's not the root of the problem and this explains why even with multi core devices there's still a lot of people who can see the difference between how the two OS's react.

Since you didn't do what I asked, I'll post some of what Bob Lee replied with that explains it better.

http://blog.crazybob.org/2011/12/truth-about-android-ios-ui-performance.html

Now that Android has pervasive hardware acceleration, Android has no fundamental technical disadvantage compared to iOS with regard to to implementing fluid UIs. Given comparable hardware, any UI that runs smoothly on iOS should be able to run just as smoothly on Android. That said, hardware acceleration isn't a magic switch that you can just turn on. Android developers need to modify their applications to take full advantage, just like iOS developers have to design their own applications with hardware acceleration in mind. This will take time.

To Munn's point, "UI thread" and "main thread" mean the same thing. Most user interface frameworks, including those employed by iOS and Android, have a notion of receiving input events and manipulating the user interface from a single thread. Users of those frameworks often use the terms "UI thread" and "main thread" interchangeably. Why impose this restriction? If you limit access to UI elements to a single thread, you simplify API usage and improve performance because you don't have to deal with locks and concurrency. Contrary to Munn's claims, Android does actually assign a higher scheduling priority to the UI thread than it does to background threads. I assume iOS does likewise.

Android and iOS are more alike than different in this respect. Either platform will hang and stop responding to user input if you monopolize the main thread with blocking operations (like file I/O) or slow drawing logic. This likely explains why Jason experiences jitters when visiting global search on iOS. On both platforms, programmers should perform all blocking operations on background threads and should never block the main thread.

As for the differences, iOS's Core Animation framework tweens animations in a background thread while Android does the same in the main thread. On iOS animations continue running, even when the application accidentally blocks the main thread. In addition, when scrolling, iOS's main thread goes into a "tracking" mode where it filters out certain types of events that might result in redrawing or other performance degradations. This has no affect on background operations. Nothing technically prevents Android from supporting these features, but their absence doesn't preclude smooth UIs on Android either. Hardware acceleration is far more important.

Does this mean we're going to start seeing iOS-quality user interfaces across the board on Android in the near future? No way. The reasons have little to nothing to do with bytecode or garbage collectors and everything to do with the community and tools. First, iOS app developers have far more experience taking advantage of hardware acceleration. They're experts in going out of the way to avoid software rendering. Hardware rendering requires a different mindset, and Android programmers will need time to catch up.

Second, Android programmers need to support both software and hardware rendering for awhile. This requires more code. Some Android devices support only software rendering while others, like the Xoom, actually require hardware rendering to achieve any semblance of smooth animation. Developing and maintaining smooth Android apps will require significantly more developer resources than accomplishing the same on iOS, at least until we can retire support for pre-Honeycomb devices. Programmers with limited resource will no doubt have to elide animations and settle for lowest common denominator solutions for awhile.

Third, from what I've seen, iOS developers have far better tools at their disposal. iOS developers can tweak and reload their applications in seconds, faster than you can reload a Ruby on Rails web page, while Android developers are lucky to do the same in tens of seconds. Being able to quickly iterate and tweak a UI is essential to achieving pixel-perfect, high frame rate animations. If Android programmers need to wait up to a minute after each tweak, they'll be at a significant disadvantage compared to their iOS counterparts. iOS provides amazing tools that overlay their UIs and help pinpoint and eliminate software rendering. In contrast, the UI performance and bugs in Android's emulator are so bad that developers resort to running on real devices only, even during development.

Android's training and legacy support issues will resolve themselves eventually. If I ran the Android team, I'd triple down on tool support. Android's emulator sounds great in theory, but it fails spectacularly in practice. Professional Android programmers simply can't and don't use it. Frankly, the emulation model is a lost cause. Android should replace it with an iOS-like simulator, one with tightly integrated profiling tools, capable of building and displaying apps in seconds. Ideally, the development build process would further cut down the turnaround time by eliding resource compilation, dex conversion, etc.

In the meantime, Android developers can achieve buttery user interfaces on Honeycomb and ICS devices, just like their iOS equivalents, by eliminating blocking operations from the main thread, minimizing time spent drawing in software, and allocating objects judiciously. Android programmers just have to work a little longer and harder to get there. Given our fierce dedication to a flawless user experience, my team plans to invest the necessary resources and accomplish just that. If you think you're up to the challenge, please apply.

It's going to take some time. Time for legacy device support to drop, tools to become better and programmers to become used to dealing with the changes they need to do.

Back