October Nexus Prime rumors

found this.. Best Buy let some Nexus out early

Best buy nexus released early to a select few

Yeah, there's been reports of some guys getting them at Radio Shack too, like this guy here..

Also, if you're hanging on to your OG Droid like I am, or any other 3G device, then Verizon may cut you a $100 off the Nexus come launch this week (barring another delay :mad:). I called a rep last week about this and he knew nothing about it. But now that it's hitting the news sites more, then maybe it's spreading to more customers. I already have a $50 NE2 instant rebate available, so it'd be awesome if I could stack this toward the phone for $150 off :cool:.

Edit: Lol, someone made a site/page just to tell you the launch status :D. http://hasverizonreleasedthegalaxynex.us/

Last edited:
I've been away for a week. WTF? This phone is still not available?

Ack. Is Verizon to blame? I'm gonna go look for a pitchfork.

I assume he is referring to the every 2, $100 discount. Basically being out of contract and they give you $100 off a new phone with a new 2yr contract.

I'm not too concerned anymore. I'm just going to wait it out and see. I probably should avoid verizon like the plague but what the wife wants, the wife gets.

Just talked to verizon, they are not doing the new every 2 thing any more so I don't know how anyone is getting $100 off

Just talked to verizon, they are not doing the new every 2 thing any more so I don't know how anyone is getting $100 off

I wasn't talking about NE2 when I mentioned the $100 discount. That is just a promotion that Verizon is doing for users in some areas when upgrading from 3G to 4G phones. I would call around your local area to see if they're participating in it or not. Or even call *611 on your phone (if you're an existing Verizon customer) and ask them about it.

Though for people (like me) who signed their last contract while the NE2 program was still active, they'll still get one last rebate. In my case, I get a $50 instant rebate on my next phone, but I've seen people only get $20-$30 for it too.

I was grandfathered in. I still get the $100 off.

You got $100 off for your NE2? I only get $50 :(. I wonder what the difference between us is? I've had my Droid for just 2 weeks shy of 2 years now, so it's not an early upgrade. I've been eligible since June.

Were you upgrading from a feature phone? I know Verizon has been giving $100 off for upgrades from feature phones to smart phones.

I called the local vzw store last night and they said they didn't know when it would go on sale.

LOL what a joke :rolleyes:

At this point the Galaxy S3 is not too far off, the Galaxy-Nexus will be last years outdated phone, just like comparing the Nexus-S to a international S2, which would you rather have, the N-S or GS2 ? The Galaxy S3 will be unveiled at the big electronics show in Barcelona, in February, just two months away. With Android 4.0 ICS and TouchWiz 5.0...1080p high res Super AMOLED+ screen, better than the Galaxy-Nexus, faster processor...more RAM...better battery life...thinner new design...

Honestly, if the Galaxy-Nexus shipped with 2.3.6 Gingerbread like the rest of the Galaxy SII's, would you still want this phone that bad ? Sure the high res screen is cool, but that's it, battery life on LTE is supposed to be pretty bad. Can't wait to see how the Galaxy SII runs with a full stable build of ICS, I bet it's even faster than the Nexus.

And then the other worry, will the Verizon Galaxy-Nexus being CDMA, get updates later than the international GSM version ? Look at the Galaxy S2, the international version gets updated pretty quick, and the U.S. versions take much longer to get the same update officially, not talking about XDA.

LOL what a joke :rolleyes:

At this point the Galaxy S3 is not too far off, the Galaxy-Nexus will be last years outdated phone, just like comparing the Nexus-S to a international S2, which would you rather have, the N-S or GS2 ? The Galaxy S3 will be unveiled at the big electronics show in Barcelona, in February, just two months away. With Android 4.0 ICS and TouchWiz 5.0...1080p high res Super AMOLED+ screen, better than the Galaxy-Nexus, faster processor...more RAM...better battery life...thinner new design...

Honestly, if the Galaxy-Nexus shipped with 2.3.6 Gingerbread like the rest of the Galaxy SII's, would you still want this phone that bad ? Sure the high res screen is cool, but that's it, battery life on LTE is supposed to be pretty bad. Can't wait to see how the Galaxy SII runs with a full stable build of ICS, I bet it's even faster than the Nexus.

And then the other worry, will the Verizon Galaxy-Nexus being CDMA, get updates later than the international GSM version ? Look at the Galaxy S2, the international version gets updated pretty quick, and the U.S. versions take much longer to get the same update officially, not talking about XDA.

Not too far off, eh? We already discussed this a couple pages ago. The S3 might launch Q2 overseas. You think we'll have the phone in the states on Sprint/Verizon immediately after that? Do you remember just a couple months ago when the S2s launched in the US.. a full 6 months after launch everywhere else?

While it's true that the G-Nex's hardware isn't far superior than the GS2 or any other high-end phone on the market today, the fact is that its software is far superior and will be until Samsung updates the GS2s to ICS in the next 3-4 months minimum. ROMing the phone to ICS isn't going to be as functional, stable and/or battery efficient (as the Nexus S ports seem to exemplify) as the Galaxy Nexus until Samsung ports it over themselves. The fact is that the Nexus has ICS and no other phone does yet. So the hardware comparisons between the phones, as of right now, are irrelevant. Even when the GS2 gets ICS, I guarantee that the perceivable (key word) speed differences between the S2 and G-Nex will be negligible at worst. This post does a good job of explaining the trade-offs between the Mali GPU in the GS2 and the SGX 540 GPU in the G-Nex. They both have the exact same CPU. It's just a different SoC.

Also, my local store (corporate store in Louisville, KY) then told me that the 15th is a go for sale of the Galaxy Nexus. They have them in stock right now.

Zorachus latches onto something and no matter what you tell him he doesn't budge. Apparently 8 months from now isn't "far off" might as well for the galaxy 4 since that wouldn't be far off from the galaxy 3 launch...

Zorachus latches onto something and no matter what you tell him he doesn't budge. Apparently 8 months from now isn't "far off" might as well for the galaxy 4 since that wouldn't be far off from the galaxy 3 launch...

No the international Galaxy S2 released in April last year, and worked on ATT + T-Mobile, lots of XDA nerds on those carriers bought the international GS2, and had it 6 months before those carriers got the official U.S. versions.

Can do that again with the GS3

No the international Galaxy S2 released in April last year, and worked on ATT + T-Mobile, lots of XDA nerds on those carriers bought the international GS2, and had it 6 months before those carriers got the official U.S. versions.

Who the hell wants to import their cell phones? And what about the people on Verizon?

You got $100 off for your NE2? I only get $50 :(. I wonder what the difference between us is? I've had my Droid for just 2 weeks shy of 2 years now, so it's not an early upgrade. I've been eligible since June.

Were you upgrading from a feature phone? I know Verizon has been giving $100 off for upgrades from feature phones to smart phones.

I'm not sure what the difference is. I'm upgrading from a Droid Incredible.

Ya how is that working for those Verizon customers? :rolleyes:

I'm hearing this device only comes in 16gb. I was expecting a 32gb model.
If this is true it's a real pain for many like me with music collections in excess of 16gb.

I'm hearing this device only comes in 16gb. I was expecting a 32gb model.
If this is true it's a real pain for many like me with music collections in excess of 16gb.

As of right now it's:

GSM/HSPA+ = 16 GBs
CDMA/LTE (Verizon) = 32 GBs

Those are the only models available (well the Verizon one should be available this week) right now. But there should be 32 GB GSM/HSPA+ versions available soon.

Dude you waffle more than Brett Favre. In this thread alone you went from:

1) Praising the Galaxy Nexus "beast" and saying you would be the first in line for it.
2) Bashing the GS2 for being slow to be released in the states.
3) Saying Sprint is your preferred carrier of choice and you don't want to leave them.

to

1) Saying the Galaxy Nexus is a bad device and not an upgrade from the Galaxy S2.
2) Trying to justify the GS3 coming out soon by saying you can use the international version on ATT/T-mobile

Face it, you do nothing but whine. You directly contradict yourself on multiple occasions. You are a Sprint guy, the GS3 is *not* close for you at all.

I'm pretty convinced at this point that Zorachus just started this thread as an elaborate trolling attempt.

Also, anyone who is seriously going to pick up a device with bloat on it instead or iOS never really wanted this phone. Tweakers or vanilla Android lovers are the target market for this phone - it is a niche device. If you're a tweaker, you would not settle for a device with a chokehold on it like an iPhone, nor would you settle for device with a locked bootloader like a RAZR.

If you're not part of that niche, that's cool. There's a lot more selection for you. Those of us who want nothing but that are the ones stuck waiting and antagonizing - not you. Get whatever and enjoy it. If anything, I'm jealous people have a device they're happy with.

I actually own a Galaxy SII, and couldn't be happier. Rooted with a awesome custom ROM by Calk, and ICS theme, by Overstew. This phone is warp speed fast now and looks really cool. Plus with the tweaks getting amazing battery life.

I am no fan of Verizon, and their plans are very expensive. The more i read ablut the Galaxy-Nexus on XDA, just not as wowed with it like i thought i would be. And with ICS ROM's coming soon for the Galaxy SII, I am very happy sticking with my device, which might actually be faster, due to GPU and lower resolution.

But if I were on Verizon, of course no question the new Nexus is the best phone hands down. But is it worth switching carries for ? No, I will just wait for CM9 release the SII.

Last edited:
As an iPhone user ready to make the switch here are the things I worry about most:

Courtesy of Business Insider:

Let's start with touch gestures. If you go from using an iPhone for a few days to using an Android phone, you'll notice touch controls aren't as perfect on Android. There's a teensie weensie lag that's just barely noticeable, but it's there. As a result, Android feels sluggish and choppy compared to iOS. Ice Cream Sandwich doesn't fix this problem.

Android's app selection is still nowhere near as good as what you'll find in Apple's app store. Even though you can still get all the big name apps like Twitter, Facebook, Foursquare, Evernote, Dropbox, etc. on Android, they all look like crap compared to their iOS counterparts. This has always been a problem with Android, so shouldn't come as a surprise.​

My wife just got the 4S which is smooth as butter but the interface is so damn boring after using it for years already. Hoping I don't regret my switch.

Last edited:
The teensie weensie lag is because all tasks are of equal priority. After I read the article about this, I wondered what would happen if I set the Launcher's nice to -20 in OS Monitor and started an update of an app on the market.

I was able to constantly scroll back and forth, open the app drawer, or bring up home screen previews with no lag on a single core phone. This is a very, very basic test, but the fact that all processes are defaulted to nice = 0 indicates that this is the case.

As far as iOS vs Android with regards to differences in apps, I have an iPod Touch 4G and from trying apps on both, that's true with some apps but definitely not all. I don't use DropBox, but I use box.net and the app works fine on both. Facebook used to be a very obvious example, but is not as night and day anymore - iOS does get the win for the FB app though. Facebook Messenger works excellent on Android - I use it on a daily basis.

I do not use most of the other apps listed there. I use Catch Notes instead of Evernote, and it works great on both, but the plus goes to Android for the widget. I don't use Foursquare, and to be honest I still don't understand what it's for.

Cost of apps is much less on Android as well. All the premium apps I have saved up from the Amazon App Store and the 10 cent sale that still has two days left are great. It always seems like everything costs a few dollars on iOS, even after root/jailbreak. Like iFile versus ES File Explorer in root mode.

There are also apps which I consider very basic that iOS does not do, such as the SMS Backup apps. One of which syncs to GMail and the other of which backs up or restores to/from a XML file. This is where I want my texts to backup to.

In the end, I would attribute most of it to personal preference. If you don't have a need for the things that one platform does have that the other doesn't, then it's unlikely a switch is worth your time.

There's more than meets the eye with regards to the differences, so I would never suggest switching based on cosmetics alone. To be honest, I'm typically very anti switching at this point in time because people who have already had a smartphone for two years or more have both time and money invested in it.

All of that aside, I think a professionally written article using the phrase "look like crap" is very tacky. I would not take that writer seriously.

Go back and look at the updates to that post. Most of it is outright wrong, especially the threads part. In the end what Munn said just created more questions and confusion than explain anything. It's just better to say that UI response tends to be better on iOS because the developers are more used to dealing with hardware accleration for various reasons, not because android is lacking or is slow at doing something.

Go back and look at the updates to that post. Most of it is outright wrong, especially the threads part. In the end what Munn said just created more questions and confusion than explain anything. It's just better to say that UI response tends to be better on iOS because the developers are more used to dealing with hardware accleration for various reasons, not because android is lacking or is slow at doing something.

Sorry, but I don't see what you're getting at.

Android isn't lacking or slow at doing something - that is the point of all tasks running at the same priority.

The difference in having Launcher at 0 or higher nice versus lower than 0 and running updates or installing apps from the market is pretty obvious, at least on a single core device.

I'm seriously perplexed at how Verizon is handling the launch of the Nexus. Maybe I'm just impatient but all I can say is wow

Back