October Nexus Prime rumors

I was going BIONIC the day it comes out, but if this is true I WILL be waiting yet another FUCKING month I guess. I want my first smartphone to be the best investment possible :(

Android phones aren't a good investment. No matter what you get, something else and a new version of android will come along 3 months later.

Android phones aren't a good investment. No matter what you get, something else and a new version of android will come along 3 months later.

I guess so, but I bet this new Nexus could very well be the best I COULD get. I think I've decided: If this Nexus doesn't get delayed and is indeed released in October, I'll get it. If not- I'll get the iPhone 5.... that's it. It is in your hands to determine if I will indeed ever put money in Job's pocket... Maybe I'll even become a fanboi....

*shoots self*

Whether or not something newer comes out is rather irrelevant. What matters is whether or not it will last for 2 years. No piece of technology is ever a good investment. Heck, very, very few physical items ever count as a good investment.

Whether or not something newer comes out is rather irrelevant. What matters is whether or not it will last for 2 years. No piece of technology is ever a good investment. Heck, very, very few physical items ever count as a good investment.

Truth. But the Nexus seems like it will be the next big step and should have a little more longevity than other newer phones coming out right before it. I doubt any phones will be coming out with a higher screen res than 720p or have a faster CPU until the quads come out next year. Not to mention I bet no other phones even get ICS for several months after its launch if they follow the update trend all the manufacturers took with 2.3 (taking 6+ months for it to start getting on other phones).

Edit: Just saw this news post. It's nice to already see progress on this phone. It's a good indicator that it will be here not too long after the GS2 hits the other carriers. Hopefully it's an early October release. What's funny is that Bionic owners will only have a month or so before their flagship device is already replaced.

Last edited:
What's funny is that Bionic owners will only have a month or so before their flagship device is already replaced.

Yup, what was my "Okay, this is it, I'm getting it".... so so quickly became the 'outdated news' before it was even out :(.

*Sigh*, Waiting on Nexus or IP5 no doubt now. My girl keeps bitching about my non-smart phone that she hates.

This would be very disapointing news if it's Verizon exclusive. I had to skip out on the Nexus S and waited for the Prime and this happens? I think I am going to end up getting the Motorola Photon. Atleast Motorola cares to gives it's customers updates more than once a year unlike Samsung.

This would be very disapointing news if it's Verizon exclusive. I had to skip out on the Nexus S and waited for the Prime and this happens? I think I am going to end up getting the Motorola Photon. Atleast Motorola cares to gives it's customers updates more than once a year unlike Samsung.

It's not going to be exclusive to Verizon for very long, I'm sure. Just like the Nexus S wasn't exclusive to T-Mobile after a while.

Also, the Samsung update point is moot since this is a Nexus Device. You can be sure it will be the first to receive an Android update before any other phone. Even if it doesn't have the "Nexus" name, it still is one and will have the same hardware. Just in case they didn't treat it as a Nexus device, worst case scenario is that XDA/devs will port the updates to it easily from the other Nexus devices.

Also, you can be sure that the Photon won't be getting ICS anytime soon after launch. I'll bet it's at least 4-5 months before any other phone (officially) gets updated to it, just as the previous updates have went.

I'm going through the same headache with my Epic, having to constantly flash new ROMs because Samsung hasn't pushed out Gingerbread. It's ridiculous how much effort I have to put into this phone. I would love a nexus because they are always kept up to date but Samsung's reputation for software updates damages their OEM line. I still want the GSII but damnit it's taking way too long.

If this phone has vanilla android, could be a HUGE hit. Fuck all the tacked-on BS from carriers who *pretend* to have our best interests at heart.

I'm not really sure how Google goes through deciding who is going to make the new reference hardware (the Nexus line) but I wish someone other than Samsung would have gotten this. I have said it before and will say it again, the lack of the notification led hurts any Samsung phone's chance of landing in my pocket.

It probably isn't THAT big of a deal to live without it, but at the same time, is it THAT big of a deal to put one in? I really like to have mine customized based on what event is creating what color on my OG Droid. I'd jump at the opportunity to get the prime if it weren't for that. I wish Google would add the notification LED to the list of requirements for the "with Google" badge on phones that major manufacturers go for.

Just read this on BGR;

The Droid Prime is NOT the new Nexus..it is simply Verizons and only Verizons flagship ICS phone, but lets get it straight it is NOT a Nexus. Google will do their own outing of the Nexus-3. Maybe the Samsung I9250 a 4.65" Super Amoled HD ICS device might turn out to be the real new Nexus-3 that will be released to Tmo, Sprint and Att. Or as i have always thought...HTC might be the sleeper OEM to give us an N1 type on steroids Nexus 3. Either way it shakes out...Google has something special in-store for us all vanilla android lovers, and it's not a Droid.

Just read this on BGR;

The Droid Prime is NOT the new Nexus..it is simply Verizons and only Verizons flagship ICS phone, but lets get it straight it is NOT a Nexus. Google will do their own outing of the Nexus-3. Maybe the Samsung I9250 a 4.65" Super Amoled HD ICS device might turn out to be the real new Nexus-3 that will be released to Tmo, Sprint and Att. Or as i have always thought...HTC might be the sleeper OEM to give us an N1 type on steroids Nexus 3. Either way it shakes out...Google has something special in-store for us all vanilla android lovers, and it's not a Droid.
And the maddening intrigue continues...

Just read this on BGR;

Why didn't you link to it? I can't find that article on bgr.com.

I find it hard to belive that there's an ICS device launching before a Nexus phone debuts with it.

Last edited:
Question for all the Nexus folks - I'm just now understanding what the Nexus series is... Simply an Android phone with the latest OS in a vanilla "Clean install" type of environment? No add on BS from the maker of the phone?

Curious - why is this such a huge hit? Is it not possible to just grab the vanilla OS and install it on your vendor's phone anyway? Or is that not possible?? Brief explanation into the whole "Nexus" hype appreciated :)

Question for all the Nexus folks - I'm just now understanding what the Nexus series is... Simply an Android phone with the latest OS in a vanilla "Clean install" type of environment? No add on BS from the maker of the phone?

Curious - why is this such a huge hit? Is it not possible to just grab the vanilla OS and install it on your vendor's phone anyway? Or is that not possible?? Brief explanation into the whole "Nexus" hype appreciated :)
I believe the Nexus phones are unlocked, too. No locked bootloader hassles... if I'm right.

You got the gist of it. Vanilla Android phones are pretty rare on the market now. Almost every phone manufacturer and carrier take a stock Android build and bloat it up with their custom skins, widgets and apps. A lot of people feel this is a bit intrusive, esp. since most phones block uninstallation of this bloatware. The only way to git rid of this bloat and/or put a "clean install" of Android onto your phone is to root it and if devs have made an Android Open Source Project (AOSP)/Vanilla ROM (actually an update.zip that you install through the bootloader) for it.

So yes, depending on the phone, you have the option of putting a vanilla OS on it, but not through official means (so you risk voiding the warranty) and it's not a very user friendly process. So having a Nexus device is just a lot more appealing since it's the only phone that keeps you updated as soon as Google releases an update, plus the bootloader is unlocked so it's relatively easy to flash all sorts of custom ROMs from other devs onto it for additional features, performance and battery life. It's basically a developers/modders dream phone.

The forums all over Android Central are exploding about this "Droid-Prime" It is NOT a "nexus" device, but still a stock vanilla Android phone like the og Droid1

http://www.androidcentral.com/droid-prime-just-uncle-jerry-predicted

I see/hear nothing but speculation in that link. Not that I don't believe it, it definitely sounds like something Verizon would do, but it's hardly official news.

Regardless, if it's like the original Droid, then I'll still be estatic. I had 2.1, 2.2 and 2.3 on my Droid within a week or so after the Nexus phones having it. So if this next phone is the same hardware as the actual Nexus devices, then there's really no problem IMO.

http://forums.androidcentral.com/nexus-prime/114854-when-will-we-get-news-nexus-three-2.html

i would also point out that when BGR first reported/rumored the Nexus Prime, it was stated that: "Our source indicated that Google could be working with multiple carriers and multiple OEMs on their own “exclusive” Android 4.0 (Ice Cream Sandwich) halo devices, and that they may all launch around the same time." so, the Droid Prime could also just be vzw's version of the Nexus Prime, and may be like the OG and Zoom - Nexus-type devices, but not with Nexus branding.

who knows. everyone, including all the tech sites, are just as confused as everyone else, and we won't know the actual answers yet.

All four U.S. carriers will get their own special Android 4.0 ICS devices, just that this Droid-Prime will be the first to retail, while Sprint, T-Mo, and ATT will get theirs in Nov/Dec.

Question is, will they all be Samsung Prime type devices, or totally different, like an HTC for T-Mobile, and Motorola for ATT ?

Physical keyboard or no?

I highly doubt it, but who knows. I would go ape shit (with happiness) if it did though.

http://forums.androidcentral.com/nexus-prime/114854-when-will-we-get-news-nexus-three-2.html

i would also point out that when BGR first reported/rumored the Nexus Prime, it was stated that: "Our source indicated that Google could be working with multiple carriers and multiple OEMs on their own “exclusive” Android 4.0 (Ice Cream Sandwich) halo devices, and that they may all launch around the same time." so, the Droid Prime could also just be vzw's version of the Nexus Prime, and may be like the OG and Zoom - Nexus-type devices, but not with Nexus branding.

who knows. everyone, including all the tech sites, are just as confused as everyone else, and we won't know the actual answers yet.

All four U.S. carriers will get their own special Android 4.0 ICS devices, just that this Droid-Prime will be the first to retail, while Sprint, T-Mo, and ATT will get theirs in Nov/Dec.

Question is, will they all be Samsung Prime type devices, or totally different, like an HTC for T-Mobile, and Motorola for ATT ?

I'm going to say that Verizon will call it a "Droid Prime" without the Nexus branding, but Google will still treat it as a Nexus device just the same. Mainly just because it's going to be the debut ICS device, so Google should support it directly, esp. if it's the same exact hardware as the other carriers will be getting. But that's just my pure speculation. Did any official source even say that's it's going to be a "Droid" phone though? Is it not still possible that it'll be coined a Nexus phone?

There is no way Verizon allows a device without any of their bloatware, esp with the Droid branding. They are the best positioned carrier and probably make more money from the iPhone.

Also if what we hear about ICS is true, fragmentation will be a thing of the past, and all phones will get updates on a regular schedule. But Google needs to grow a pair and enforce this, instead of letting the carriers ignore devices.

There is no way Verizon allows a device without any of their bloatware, esp with the Droid branding. They are the best positioned carrier and probably make more money from the iPhone.

Also if what we hear about ICS is true, fragmentation will be a thing of the past, and all phones will get updates on a regular schedule. But Google needs to grow a pair and enforce this, instead of letting the carriers ignore devices.

But there has been a phone on Verizon that has none of their bloatware and it was a Droid branded phone. So why couldn't it happen again?

Where did you hear about ICS/Google forcing manufactures to update their phones on a regular schedule? I'm not sure how that would work well with all the parties involved to get a damn update pushed out from Google to the Manufacturer, then the carrier, then the actual devices. This is why it takes several months to update phones in the first place. With the Nexus phones, it's cuts most of that out.

Where did you hear about ICS/Google forcing manufactures to update their phones on a regular schedule? I'm not sure how that would work well with all the parties involved to get a damn update pushed out from Google to the Manufacturer, then the carrier, then the actual devices. This is why it takes several months to update phones in the first place. With the Nexus phones, it's cuts most of that out.

This was in the news a while ago, Google was getting unhappy with the lackluster approach phone manufacturers were taking with updates to many models. The fragmentation causes a lot of problems for Google and the overall health of the Android platform. Heck now the rumors are that Android 4.0 is coming, and the 3.x versions haven't even been open sourced yet.

Google didn't release a timely update for the Nexus One so that the Nexus S could be the only phone on the market with 2.3 for a while. So while Google tries to play nice, they will still sell out their own products to get some cash from offering a carrier exclusive.

Phone updates take "months" because its just a bunch of bullshit and carriers will often see firmware updates as potentially damaging to new sales. Plus phone updates generate tech support calls, and those cost money. A lot of the top tier phones will get a few updates to keep the geeks happy, but then most of the middle tier phones barely get touched unless its to fix serious issues. This same stuff happened with Windows Mobile phones as well, and it was ultimately very damaging because it left many people unhappy with their phones.

Last edited:
Even with Android 4.0 and Google wanting to fix fragmentation, I still believe we'll be waiting months for updates for most phones. Google still isn't preventing custom UIs (though I think some UI changes need approval if they want to keep Google apps) and carrier bloat. So I see no reason why we still wont' be waiting 6 to 8 months for Google updates.

Google said phones should get updates for 18 months of their life (or something like that), but no specifics on how timely those updates had to be.

And since I'm still rocking an Samsung Vibrant with Android 2.2. I think I want to avoid any non "Nexus" phones in the future. Just hope Samsung or Google doesn't do something stupid again like leave out the micro SD slot. :)

Some recent updates/news;

Eric Schmidt: Ice Cream Sandwich coming out in October or November
http://androidandme.com/2011/09/new...andwich-is-coming-out-in-october-or-november/

Samsung confirms upcoming Google phone will be named Nexus Prime
http://androidandme.com/2011/09/new...oming-google-phone-will-be-named-nexus-prime/

Nexus Prime Wap File With 480x800 Resolution Just A Placeholder After All
http://www.androidpolice.com/2011/0...x800-resolution-just-a-placeholder-after-all/

d00000d, nice finds.

With all the rumors and speculation, the Nexus Prime has become the Diablo 3 of cell phones. We haven't reached the hate stage that a small segment of D3 fanboys have embraced (i.e., rabid complaints against an unreleased product), but there's still time. :p

With all the rumors and speculation, the Nexus Prime has become the Diablo 3 of cell phones. We haven't reached the hate stage that a small segment of D3 fanboys have embraced (i.e., rabid complaints against an unreleased product), but there's still time. :p

ROFLzzz.. SO TRUE thanks for the rl lol

I was thinking bionic..but may as well hang another month or so and see what prime is

ROFLzzz.. SO TRUE thanks for the rl lol

I was thinking bionic..but may as well hang another month or so and see what prime is

No question the Prime is the phone to get over the Bionic. The Prime will be the top dog phone well into 2012, only the Galaxy S3 due Summer 2012 will best it. The Bionic is just another Gingerbread Droid, not bad not great, just run of the mill Android device, that will be easily forgotten in a couple of months.

The Prime will be the first phone to market with Android 4.0 "Ice Cream" is the all new next generation OS from Google, supposed to be the BIGGEST change to Android OS in history. And then the crazy Hi Def screen, with a better dpi than Apple's "retina" display.

I really do not see how the iPhone5 can compete with the Prime, unless Apple plans a major upgrade for the i5, but that is not typical for them.

No question the Prime is the phone to get over the Bionic. The Prime will be the top dog phone well into 2012, only the Galaxy S3 due Summer 2012 will best it. The Bionic is just another Gingerbread Droid, not bad not great, just run of the mill Android device, that will be easily forgotten in a couple of months.

The Prime will be the first phone to market with Android 4.0 "Ice Cream" is the all new next generation OS from Google, supposed to be the BIGGEST change to Android OS in history. And then the crazy Hi Def screen, with a better dpi than Apple's "retina" display.

I really do not see how the iPhone5 can compete with the Prime, unless Apple plans a major upgrade for the i5, but that is not typical for them.
Yeah, I recently got a BB 9930 (from work) but will buy the NP at full price if it truly delivers.

I just got a notification that I'm eligible for an upgrade. Hopefully the rumors are true that it's coming to Verizon and the time estimate is correct. I would love to pick one of these up next month. My original moto droid has served me fairly well, but it has been struggling lately.

from the power the phone has.. it makes me wonder about its battery life...

from the power the phone has.. it makes me wonder about its battery life...

It shouldn't. Do todays smart phones have any worse battery life than the ones 2 years ago (or before that)? Remember that as die shink on the CPU/GPUs are what allow us to have faster tech while using less power and the same thing applies to mobile devices. It's really the only thing that allows us to have faster devices just because they wouldn't be practicle if they didn't use less power as they get faster (and pretty much cancelling out any power savings while clocking faster).

One of the most important things to consider if you're very concerned with battery life is screen technology. AMOLED screens will currently use much less power on average than most anything else available.

Quad, that's actually not very true at all. They use much less power when displaying blacks, but they use much MORE power displaying whites. And with web browsing primarily being a white screen... The power differences aren't that great in the end, really.

I'm typing from my new BB 9930 and already miss Android. This is going back and I'll be grabbing the Prime.

Back