October gaming. Need horror games

sparks

2[H]4U
We were talking about halloween season games. Of course that means horror games.
I remember F.E.A.R. shooter with supernatural parts to it.
There were people that really got freaked out with parts of the game.
Now it seems that all the scary games are more solve the puzzles without dying.
Are there any scary shooters that keep the person on the edge of their seats?
I think everyone agreed about Dead Space, are there others like this now?

Can't think of any off the top of my head, unfortunately. Look out for Agony, which should be out around Halloween. I think it is actually releasing in November, but it should be intense.

Resident Evil 7 and >Observer_ were the only two games I've played this year that meet your criteria. RE7 was an excellent game, it had great atmosphere (it isn't a TPS like some of it's predecessors) and >Observer_ was also enjoyable, though it's not for everyone as it's a slower pace game where 90% of it takes place in one multi-story apartment building, and some sections tended to be too much "walking simulator" (ie just walking forward over and over). Also, do not purchase or play >Observer_ if you have epilepsy or seizures.

FEAR is always a top contender (there was/is a sale on Steam for them). Skip the third though.

Outlast 1 and/or 2

Resident Evil Remakes and 7

Layers of Fear

Like Armenius said, look out for Agony. That shit looks fucking crazy.

Allison Road (if it ever gets released)

Just pick up Amnesia: Dark Descent and keep playing it until you pick up the Shotgun then it becomes a scary shooter.

Honest.

Can't think of any off the top of my head, unfortunately. Look out for Agony, which should be out around Halloween. I think it is actually releasing in November, but it should be intense.

first I heard of Agony...looks interesting...I'm not fully onboard yet as it looks a bit cheesy at times and not sure if I like the setting of Hell for the entire game...too much Doom-like but I'll be keeping an eye on it

SOMA for “holy shit wtf is that” horror and Amneisa: Machine for Pigs for a scary environment and a subtle suspenseful story.

These are not shooters, however I’ve never found a shooting game to be scary. Seriously try SOMA if you want get your heart racing.

Last edited:
It's really polarizing as different people like or dislike David Cage to different extents, but I really enjoyed Heavy Rain.
There are many horror aspects to the game. As well as a mystery plot and emotional decision making.
Probably one of the most enjoyable games I've played on console in recent memory (I don't own a PS3 or PS4, so I haven't had a chance to play any of the Naughty Dog Titles, that I think I would probably like). However, with that, I guess one could also suggest The Last of Us for zombie apocalypse-ness.

There is also the new Doom if you want to shoot demons in the face. Outlast has shown up on Steam several times on sale.

If you want a more cerebral scary experience...

Thief: Deadly Shadows and get to the Shalebridge Cradle mission (kinda far in but worth it imho). Good headphones are a must.

Good writeup about it here though has a few bits that might be spoilerish to some. Pasted the intro below that has no spoilers.

http://gillen.cream.org/thecradle.pdf

It’s too late to run. Running from The Cradle is
like running from the air around you. People
bandy the word ‘immersive’ around when
discussing videogames, but miss the subtext of
what they’re really talking about. To be
immersed is to be surrounded and submerged,
thrust into a new context. If The Cradle is
about anything, it’s immersion. Your head pushed
beneath murky waters until you choke and drown.

The Cradle is the penultimate level in last year’s
Thief: Deadly Shadows. It’s what’s known in television
parlance as a ‘format breaker’ – something that subverts
many of the set expectations of the show to stir the
critical palette into new life. While The Cradle is based
on Thief’s shadow-stalking mandate, and a clear
extrapolation from the first Thief’s seminal Return to the
Haunted Cathedral, it has amplified its source material to
become something quite different. It’s probably the
scariest level ever made, an experiment in non-linear
storytelling methods that pays off handsomely and is one of the
towering gaming achievements

You're not missing anything...
I've found out that Japanese games are typically more horror than US games. US games are mainly action based. I love RE7. The last Silent Hill I've played was 4 - The Room. What's the latest SH on PC platform?

RE7 is fantastic IMO, I'd definitely pick that up if you haven't already.

Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice isn't necessarily a horror game but it's really creepy and intense. Looks fantastic too.

I hadn't heard of SOMA, will probably be picking that up myself.

Couldn't get into the Evil Within for some reason, probably won't be getting the second.

I always replay FEAR and it's subsequent iterations..
Painkiller hell and damnation (there is some halloween DLC for this one)
Layers of Fear and Observer
Soma (mentioned before but this one is great!! can be played easily on a controller too)
The Evil Within (wants to run at 1440p on my 4k display but decent game.. has consolitis)
Resident Evil 7 (fucking scaring the shit out of me.. lol.. great!)

Also the multi player Friday the 13th game seems to be getting popular.. I was thinking about picking that up..

Oh yeah, and Until Dawn is quite good.. I played it on the PS4 and really enjoyed that one. Great October game.

Last edited:
SOMA is amazing, but as others have said, first person, no shooting. IMO it's perfect either way.

Of course F.E.A.R.

How afraid of Nazis are you? The new Wolfenstein "could" be a bit scary. More action though obviously.

Otherwise I can't think of a ton. Most of the Zombie type games are so heavy on action that they cease being scary.

The Evil Within is pretty good, but I found it less scary more visually disturbing. Still pretty cool game once it gets properly rolling.

Last edited by a moderator:
SOMA was great. It had a great atmosphere and genuine dread, but I don't have any inclination to play it again.

Right now I'm on my second play through of Prey, this time on nightmare mode. It's not really much harder, but I wanted to focus on the Typhon powers this time around to see what I missed. I also wanted to see what the different choices did, and do more side missions. There are some nice scares, and the mind-controlled humans are intense with their dialogue.

The Evil Within 2. I really liked the first game, probably my favorite modern (say past 2011 or so) horror game.
SOMA was great
Can't agree with that, I felt it was the usual walking simulator borefest that failed to produce any feeling of dread in me.

Scary shooters? I'd like to know this as well.
If you want First person perspective games I think Amnesia: The dark Decent is an excellent game for that.
Clive barkers Undying would be the next up.
And if you haven't played Vampire the Masquerade then it's a must!!!!!

Gotta add Dead by Daylight - its a stealth survival game if youre the survivor, its a first person game if youre the killer. Objective if youre a survivor is to hide and avoid the killer, objective for the killer is obvious. This game can be tough but Ive been having a great time, especially with a friend or two.

Back