Octo-core Opteron project Shopping list.

Sir, and you are claiming this card will work?
This guy is whack? :confused: :p
That card is still perfectly functional. You could actually take off a whole lot more of the PCB and it wouldn't damage it. You just have to know what you are doing (you have to remove certain amounts).

Yep, I could cut it down all the way to a 1x card, but there is no point. Of course the retention clip on the back of the card is missing, so you need to find another way to retain the card (zip ties work great for this) or just be very careful in using the device.

PCIe is designed to be extensible. 1x, 4x, 8x, 12x, and 16x cards are all exactly the same, except the number of physical lanes connected to the backplane. All I did is reduce the number of connections to compensate for the physical slot limitations.

It is very similar to chopping the back of a 8x connector off, so that the remaining 8 lanes of a 16x card would hang outside of the connector.

EDIT: In case I did toast the card, this is why I used an HD2600.. I wouldn't have been too heartbroken over destroying it.

Ahahaaha.... this is unbelievable, if you dont mind i'm gona post your thread on Video Card section and see what's other people have to say about your "method"

O man this is going to be good! :p

Ahahaaha.... this is unbelievable, if you dont mind i'm gona post your thread on Video Card section and see what's other people have to say about your "method"

yeah same here.....never heard of such a method thats why I wanted a photo.

So Vlad, hows that post workin' out for ya? Didn't get the response you expected?

Regardless, now I have an 8x card that I have no real purpose for, as I no longer have an 8x only board, or a real desire to use an HD2600 card.

In other news, I am still on the hunt for a case for this Tyan board..

I have not run more then 2 drives on the system yet, and even when it is complete, will likely only have two discs and an optical drive. I have the S2912G2NR. It seems like SATA0 and 1 are on one controller, and 2-5 are on another controller, but I have not verified that yet.

you've never heard of chopping the connector down?

OP, what you should have done was cut out the little slit of plastic at the very back of the PCIe slot, and then just sat the card in there. even if you had a problem with the board and RMA'd, they would ignore that cut as long as it was clean, and since youre only cutting plastic you would be clear of killing any componants.

The board had components right behind the 8x PCIe slots, namely the PCI-X bridge chip being used. I agree that would have been easier, but not possible on this particular board.

Well, capacitors, Fan power header, etc.. and the board would have been touching the heatsink..

Either way, its time has come and gone, I no longer have the board, nor do I need an 8x Video card any longer.

Any idea where I can get an 8x video card for my server? Or at least a list of 8x models.?

Well, capacitors, Fan power header, etc.. and the board would have been touching the heatsink..

Either way, its time has come and gone, I no longer have the board, nor do I need an 8x Video card any longer.

How loud were the SAS drives? I'm considering two for my KFN32D SLI/SAS for boot drives but I don't want obnoxious sounds.

SAS drives aren't really loud. But I can tell you some of those SAS or SCSI hard drives spin up under some activity, they are not quiet.

all your doing by cutting the extra lanes off is limiting the bandwidth.. why you cant understand how thats possible vlad just shows the lack of understanding how they work.. we do it all the time for Folding@home systems.. though usually most of us just cut the end of the pci-e slot to fit the card in, instead of cutting the card.. but they do exactly the same thing..

and like ultratryon said.. you can run a pci-e x16 card in an x1 slot.. you just cant play any games with it.. but it will work..

nice rig btw... i swear one day ill get into running a dual socket or quad socket system.. but until then ill just enjoy reading all of the threads posted in this section.. :p

An HD2600 does not need a full 16 lanes to run at its limit anyways, it could run at full speed with 8, probably even 4.. 1x lane would be starving it however..

I actually do not have the SAS drives running at the moment, as the controller was not supported in ESXi, and my other board does not have SAS onboard. I need to pick up some SAS -> SATA cables to put these drives in another computer, which I am actually looking at right now.

They are on the first and second pages, unless you are looking for something specific that isnt on there....

Those pics are only like bits of it, I'm saying different angles or the whole system with case and maybe a side case open view and if you can, the cut off lanes on the graphics card.

Well, the original system (the one in the case) is in production, so I cant easily take it out of the rack just for pictures.. The second system is not in a case, its just a motherboard at this point.. As for the video card, is photoed on page 2.

Well, I picked up an RPC-470 from Norco.. I must say, this is my new favorite case. I pulled out the "midplane" fan tray, and mounted a pair of the fans on the back of the case. I will have to dig out a pair of 120mm's for the front, but all in all, its well laid out, and really sturdy. Its making me wish that I didnt buy that Rosewill one last time.

I am working on moving some VMs so I can get rid of that Supermicro board, I picked up another S2912 to replace it, since I am not using any cards anyways.

I am not sure how to respond to that.. You already asked me that once, and told you it was on page two, or you can actually *GASP* read the thread, and find it yourself. Do you really need me to hold your hand while I direct to you a specific part of a 4 page thread?

My Apologies, but I have somehow skipped last post you had on page 2 with the picture. Once again, my apologies. So I assume that card was a 16x cut down to a 8x? Any ways to do a 16x to 1x?

uhmm so I'm still wondering any way to get a normal PCI EXP 16x card down to a 1x card using a mod like that.???????!

Dremel? Alternatively, you might be able to find a riser card that goes from PCIe 1x to PCIe 16x, but then you're looking at non-standard case designs.

ok...would the process be any different if I went from 16x down to 8x or 4x? Or would I need to find a rise to get to either 8x or 4x?

No? I don't see why you desperately need to put a video card in a PCIe x1/4/8 slot. If you wish to put a video card in one of those slots, then it isn't for performance reasons and you might as well get a PCIe x1 card like I suggested 6 weeks ago.

8x would not be much of a performance hit, since most video cards do not require the full 16x bandwidth. 4x might be starving most cards a bit, but would be better then 1x.

As for the process being different... my process was exactly going from 16x to 8x.. I dont really understand what you mean by being different... I just didnt want to spend any money on a riser card.

No? I don't see why you desperately need to put a video card in a PCIe x1/4/8 slot. If you wish to put a video card in one of those slots, then it isn't for performance reasons and you might as well get a PCIe x1 card like I suggested 6 weeks ago.

Sorry the place where i live, their is no way I can get a x1 gfx card for under $100 :(

Use a PCI video card then? For a server it makes no difference. It should have integrated video too. It's not like you're going to be playing games on it.

I have no PCI video cards compatible with version 2.0 PCI slots in the Dell, because its a 1.0. Also games?? uhmm...I dunno lol

Back