OCN putting the hammer down

Qualifying hardware with artificial specs (which, what has been proven numerous times, is not even
remotely accurate) is a brain-dead idea and it's project's responsibility to deal with that.

I approve of any means that yield more production.

Qualifying hardware with artificial specs (which, what has been proven numerous times, is not even
remotely accurate) is a brain-dead idea and it's project's responsibility to deal with that.

That is the most true statement I have seen. You have probably been the most active person in folding history in figuring out ways to increase production of folding proteins. While others have not always given credit (or have claimed credit) for some of the things you have done, such as the above mentioned hack. whether it has sped up the process or slowed it down I do not know ( I do not have access to the numbers) but my guess would be it has sped things up, since Stanford choose to do nothing about it for so long and easily could have changed the deadlines to stop it.

While some may think some of the things you do are not always good for folding keep it up tear a little thought and controversy are always good. ;)

... but my guess would be it has sped things up, since Stanford choose to do nothing about it for so long and easily could have changed the deadlines to stop it.

They did change the deadlines (just not released yet, although you should read the beta forum today) and they did nerf the points to help curtail some issues. But if they took any more drastic steps, you'd have been at least as pissed off (likely more!) about doing something as not doing something. :rolleyes:

I also applaud tear's razor focused efforts, even when occasionally oblivious to some of the project's nuances. ;)

As to the topic of the thread, using the HP Cloud to fold isn't always coming up roses. As the "cloud" gets more and more jobs (fahclients, etc.) to run, it will "schedule" them and "load share" the resources, potentially slowing down (lowering) the CPU timeslices the jobs (fahclients) get. As seen on the FF... Problem with QRB? Monitor your stuff, or you'll blow your QRB eligibility for all your boxes!

Last edited:
They did change the deadlines (just not released yet, although you should read the beta forum today) and they did nerf the points to help curtail some issues. But if they took any more drastic steps, you'd have been at least as pissed off (likely more!) about doing something as not doing something. :rolleyes:

Hmm depending on TPF of these new projects PG may have just barred a lot of dual CPU machines from -bigadv, perhaps they will be able to explain why dual xeon hex cores with HT cannot meet the requirements for -bigadv?

Explain? Really? Dual Hex, as in 2 x 6 = 12 real cores? Last I checked, 12 < 16, and this is the new BA-16 QRB program.

Because people didn't follow the Best Practices FAQ (as demonstrated earlier in this thread) when it came to following the core count minimum, now PG has changed to a performance minimum. They describe it as BA-16, but that's a relative description, as we all know (since some people claimed HT threads were the same as real threads for eligibiligy purposes, or simply core-hacked around it). Since everyone is only concerned with meeting a deadline, then that's the way to play it. PG doesn't care about core counts any more. Meet the deadline with 8 superoverclocked real cores and 8 virtual cores? Super!!! Miss the deadlines with only 12 real cores and 12 virtual cores at lower clock speeds? Oh well.

Bonus points were never guaranteed to slower 8 core systems on the old system, and bonus points won't be guaranteed to slower 16+ core systems with the new program. Live by the deadline, die by it as well. ;)

You are more than welcome to fold some of those new WUs, and post your frame times, and plead your case.

Last edited:
So some of the fastest hex cores that there are (x5670's) are too slow for PG? oh please someone smell the coffee.

Next month it will be quad opterons will be irrelevant:rolleyes:

The size of the first test WU is only slightly larger than a 6901. So for now, you can have your cake and eat it too. But it cuts both ways...;)

Also, the BA-12s (6903/6904) haven't finished up yet, so you can keep folding those for a while as well.

Sorry, but your comment seems a little disingenuous. QRB hasn't really changed in several years. The current change was announced several months ago, so it is unlikely anything will change again next month. You're probably safe for another few years... ;)

Last edited:
The size of the first test WU is only slightly larger than a 6901. So for now, you can have your cake and eat it too. But it cuts both ways...;)

I'm more than happy to fold a few to prove/disprove that this is actually practical and good for the project. Not a beta team member though so I think I may just wait until they are on general release.

Not being a beta team member has rarely stopped an [H]'er from using any and all client flags (amoung other things) to manipulate their WU selections... ;)

:D

Nor has it ever stopped any team....lets see i think EVGA has done it, i'd be willing to be OCN , so its not just [H] ;)

Not being a beta team member has rarely stopped an [H]'er from using any and all client flags (amoung other things) to manipulate their WU selections... ;)

:D

Don't fed the troll...

Thread off topic... close time...

Nor has it ever stopped any team....lets see i think EVGA has done it, i'd be willing to be OCN , so its not just [H] ;)

Well lets just say it wasn't [H] that came up with the corehack that started this whole mess and we have never condoned using it, unlike some other teams where it is written into the guides!!

Well lets just say it wasn't [H] that came up with the corehack that started this whole mess and we have never condoned using it, unlike some other teams where it is written into the guides!!

Lets not get into any mud slinging, regardless of who utilizes it, someone would have found it and used it.

Who, me??

He is speaking of 7im

I think he meant 7im, but in either case, I concur. Let's either get this back on topic, or the thread should be closed. We can start a new thread if we want to talk new BA-16.

Kendrak has done that. It is already posted in the DC subforum about the new BA-16.

Well it looks like OCN have levelled off at ~19m but EVGA are now dropping the hammer too, just posted a near 5mil update

This is good, more production and more competion to fuel the fires of folding. Now we must not let the competition consume us and lead us into quarreling with each other or other teams. In the end the science moves forward.

No... the move is from OCN to H, not to EVGA. OCN FAH despises them.
We are having lots of falling-outs recently... due to iffy managerial decisions.

We are having lots of falling-outs recently... due to iffy managerial decisions.

Hey, Welcome on board, glad to have you.

Well if anyone does come here post a welcome thread, no point in not being part of the family

As others have said, we welcome any and all newcomers that can pass our depravity verification testing. This is conducted on IRC and may leave deep psycological scarring on those not prepared for the [H]orde.

So what'll it be, the Red pill or the Blue pill?

Welcome one and all to the [H]orde, were a rag tag brood of rude crude dudes....

Pass the tamales and beer!

Most OCN members that I have seen so far have a single HPCS login. -bigadv was pushed originally but being backed off on due to the simple fact that server load has increased so much. I have seen setups that dropped 40k a login drop to 30k or less.

he he he,you guys worry to much about team evga,most of us are leaving folding and going to crunching until pg gets it rules figured out.

he he he,you guys worry to much about team evga,most of us are leaving folding and going to crunching until pg gets it rules figured out.

That doesn't even make sense. If you were folding to help as opposed to points you wouldn't stop because pg is experimenting with rules and point values. If you're folding just for the competition/points then this still doesn't make sense. You're just going to let OCN & [H] catch up even faster. Leave the QQ'ing in your own thread.

This. So this just basically means many of evga's members are giving up folding for good.

It would be wrong for me to say "Cheaters aren't allowed to cheap anymore, so they aren't going to play any more", so I wouldn't :D

Back