Ockie's Bedroom HTPC Setup. Antec NSK2400

Ockie

*** Self Proclaimed Storage King ***
Well my bedroom was kinda... umm lacking. So I had to jazz it up a little.

Here are the pics, complete new setup:

5LNB Sattelite Dish Installed
dsc05071wy1.jpg

Another angle. Previous dish was a dual LNB dish, but duals do not support HD signals... so the little one had to go.
dsc05072lk8.jpg

Media Center 2005 running in the background:
dsc05073yu4.jpg

HTPC Box (Antec NSK2400), HD Sattelite Reciever, and PureAV line conditioner:
dsc05074cf0.jpg

Up close profile of the HTPC:
dsc05075yp8.jpg

Internals!:
dsc05076jx4.jpg

H20 Sattelite HD Reciever and PureAV line conditioner/protector:
dsc05078qu4.jpg

Another HTPC Profile shot, this case is sweet:
dsc05079dl6.jpg

Profile shot of the new tv, stand, and electronics HmmM HD
dsc05082ny1.jpg

The media center access my server "Galaxy":
http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1006837

dsc038402vr.jpg

nice setup. If you have the bezel for the drive bay you should stealth the drive.

SC385 said:
nice setup. If you have the bezel for the drive bay you should stealth the drive.

A lot of people has been telling me to do that, however, I kinda like the black drive and how it contrasts to the case... maybe thats a future project ;)

Need to know more about the MCE2005 / DirecTV setup...?????

EDIT: n/m screenshot of MCE2005 shows TV not hooked in......

We are all waiting for that (MS/DirecTV) partnership announcement to finally unfold.

vischo said:
Need to know more about the MCE2005 / DirecTV setup...?????

EDIT: n/m screenshot of MCE2005 shows TV not hooked in......

We are all waiting for that (MS/DirecTV) partnership announcement to finally unfold.

I hope there is some sort of partnership. As for right now, I can just hit one button on the remote and be in directv or I can dual screen/pip the image so I can use both :)

ValeX said:
Hey Ockie, what do you do for a living, whats your yearly income?

I work for the largest bankrupt company in the world. Not high enough. lol.

Ockie said:
I work for the largest bankrupt company in the world. Not high enough. lol.

Delta Airways? ;)

Nice setup Ockie, you always have cool stuff...

Very clean - I like it. No surround amp though?

Hadn't heard of Pure|AV before. Looking into battery-backed ones now. Thanks for the tip!

ValeX said:
Hey Ockie, what do you do for a living, whats your yearly income?

If you're asking about all his amazing shit. He's explained it, a few times in fact. He does computers. That's what he does. Therefore he can buy all this shit. We spend our money on other things. If computers were our only hobby, we'd be able to afford this shit easily. And asking someone what their income is? Not a question to ask another adult, assuming you are one.

BTW Ockie, nice HTPC, could we get the specs on that baby?

Very, Very nice. I love the case you chose for your HTPC.

I agree, I kinda like the look of the black drive too.

Question though... What DO you store on 20 HD's? :D

Sweet setup Ockie.

Just curious, how do you connect your media to your HTPC? I didn't see any PCI cards in the box and no USB capture cards. What do you use for media?

I also noticed you were watching TNT HD. I'm assuming you were watching that via DirecTV to your TV? There's no way to timeshift that yet is there?

I've got the Dvico 5 Lite and capture all the local HDTV channels OTA. It rules. I'd recommend looking into that if you haven't already.

PS-RagE said:

Hadn't heard of Pure|AV before. Looking into battery-backed ones now. Thanks for the tip!

Pure|AV is owned by Belkin...

rayman2k2 said:
Delta Airways? ;)

Nice setup Ockie, you always have cool stuff...

Close, but no cigar :)

PS-RagE said:

No surround sound, simply don't need or want one. I have a setup downstairs if I wanted surround sound :) This is simply for functionality.

PureAV from Belkin has some good stuff, I love the clean look on them.

xTABx7 said:
hey whats the model number for that tv? i'm in the market

It's an awesome tv, I absolutley love it. It's a VIZIO GV42L HDTV

SayHelloToMyBFG said:
If you're asking about all his amazing shit. He's explained it, a few times in fact. He does computers. That's what he does. Therefore he can buy all this shit. We spend our money on other things. If computers were our only hobby, we'd be able to afford this shit easily. And asking someone what their income is? Not a question to ask another adult, assuming you are one.

BTW Ockie, nice HTPC, could we get the specs on that baby?

Yep its all about your priorities. Some people likes to spend an incredible amount on restoring classic cars.... and others likes to spend it on Computers.

Here are the specs:

AMD AM2 A64 3500+
Corsair XMS2 DDR2-800 Memory 1GB (Dual DDR Kit)
Samsung 250GB 7200RPM SATAII Hard Drive (quite)
Asus M2NPV-VM AM2 MATX Motherboard (Gigabit, AM2, DDR2, DVI, etc)
Microsoft Media Center 2005 w/ SP2
Microsoft Media Center 2005 Remote Slim Keyboard w/ Mouse
Microsoft Media Center 2005 Remote w/ reciever
Antec NSK2400 Solution Series HTPC Case (Super Silent)
Toshiba 16X DVD Rom Drive

Monster Cable DVI to HDMI Ultra 600 Cable
Monster Cable HDMI to HDMI Ultra 600 Cable
Monster Cable THX Audio to Mini Cable
Monster Cable THX F-Pin Coax Cable

Belkin PureAV AP20800-10 Line Conditioner/Protector
DirecTV H20 HD 1080i Sattelite Reciever
MultiSat 5LNB Sattelite Dish

VIZIO GV42L HDTV
Some fancy stand (Don't remember the model, was at Costco)

Arcygenical said:
Very, Very nice. I love the case you chose for your HTPC.

I agree, I kinda like the look of the black drive too.

Question though... What DO you store on 20 HD's? :D
Secret

ryansebiz said:
Sweet setup Ockie.

Just curious, how do you connect your media to your HTPC? I didn't see any PCI cards in the box and no USB capture cards. What do you use for media?

I also noticed you were watching TNT HD. I'm assuming you were watching that via DirecTV to your TV? There's no way to timeshift that yet is there?

I've got the Dvico 5 Lite and capture all the local HDTV channels OTA. It rules. I'd recommend looking into that if you haven't already.

I connect via Gigabit ethernet to my file server. I have not found the tv tuner that I desired yet, so I'm still out on that, but I'm not so worried as I have sattelite right there if I wanted to watch TV.

At the time of the picture I was just at a HD station, but yes, I'ts directly via HDMI from the sattelite reciever to the TV.

As for OTA reception, the 5 LNB dish has OTA signal so you don't need to hook OTA over a tuner nor do you need to use any antennas other than your main dish.

Actually the 5LNB dish enables the capture of the 2 sats which are broadcasting the re-encoded MPEG4 versions of your locals. So if it is like any of the other DirecTV HD channels it is not full HD unfortunately. OTA would still look better but 9 out of 10 people wont be able to notice the difference.

Very nice setup, clean and consise, and yes Pure|AV is some good stuff.

Bighitter said:
Actually the 5LNB dish enables the capture of the 2 sats which are broadcasting the re-encoded MPEG4 versions of your locals. So if it is like any of the other DirecTV HD channels it is not full HD unfortunately. OTA would still look better but 9 out of 10 people wont be able to notice the difference.

Very nice setup, clean and consise, and yes Pure|AV is some good stuff.

I'm lost by this comment?

Heatsink was replaced by an Thermaltake Blue ORB II. I wanted something silent and I wanted something with a larger heatsink so it can be in warmer enviroments and dissipate heat better.

ORB is in :)

Shows the Mounting Brackets and clearance:

Surrounding clearance:

Height clearance, gives good space for proper airflow:

Same case I just got today from UPS. I have a budget to work with so it won't be filled with your kind of goodies, but for simple DVR work it will be just fine. I really like the looks of it and I agree: The black DVD drive isn't that bad to look at either. :D Nice setup. Too bad I couldn't pull the media from a 20 drive array! :mad: :eek:

what are your temps now with the Blue Orb 2 vs the Stock HSF?

What were your origional temps with the stock HSF?

OblivionLord said:
what are your temps now with the Blue Orb 2 vs the Stock HSF?

What were your origional temps with the stock HSF?

To me it wasn't about the temps as I am running cool and quite on top of that... it was about the noise. The stockfan was for some reason pretty loud and it was like drilling a hole in my brain.

Right now the ORB is pretty quite and seems to run very cool, however I need to still enable qfan to push noise down into silent level.

I've been the last month on a anti noise crusade, seriously, lol.

The noise thing is an issue i have battled too, i have the same antec case and i run a Zalman 92mm and it keeps my x2 4200 under 60c without making much noise doing it. Nice work for a similar project to mine, on the htpc.

So Tt started making orbs again, I thought they learned their lesson from last time :)

In all honesty, I loved my super orb back in the day, but the noise was out of control.

there doesnt seem to be a whole lot that you can do to get good quality airflow in this small case but, as it stands my load temps using a 4600 x2 is at 65c. If the Blue Orb 2 can decrease the temp then im all for it which is why i was asking to know what your temps were using the stock vs the orb.

Back