OCing Intel Q9550 on Asus P5Q-E to 3.4GHz

MightyMatt

Gawd
Hey all,

I'm looking to overclock my Intel Q9550 2.83GHz CPU (Intel's Website) through my Asus P5Q-E (Asus' Website) to 3.4GHz.

Things to know: This is my first time overclocking a CPU, but I've done a decent amount of research.

I have some questions about the Bios settings to do this. Here:
1. Is it okay to use 8.5 for the CPU Ratio Setting with 400 as the FSB Frequency (3.4GHz)? Should this be any different?
2. Can I leave the PCIE Frequency at 100? Should it be 105? Does it matter? I know auto is bad.
3. Should the FSB Strap and DRAM Frequency be Auto, or should I manually set them?
4. RAS# to RAS# Delay, Write Recovery Time, Read to Precharge Time, DRAM Static Read Control, DRAM Read Training, MEM. OC Charger, and Ai Clock Twister...can these stay auto for the RAM, or what's their deal?
5. What is Ai Transaction Booster and should it be manual or auto? Common Performance Level is a sub-setting...what is that?
6. Which voltages need to be set and which voltages can just stay on auto? CPU Voltage, CPU GTL Reference, CPU PLL Voltage, FSB Termination Voltage, DRAM Voltage, NB Voltage? So many and I can't tweak every single one until perfection. When is auto a no-go?

I've read through a couple guides on here, and frankly, they make you spend a ton of time testing...I just changed my FSB frequency (400) and CPU Ratio (8.5) to get 3.4GHz, left almost everything on auto, and currently have a "stable" comp. I'm currently running 3.4GHz at 50c-60c (low 50c's mostly) and not much has changed temp-wise since the 0.57GHz bump-up, but no stress tests yet or heavy gaming. What do you guys think of my questions? Answers please? Help...Auto is so easy, but I'd like to do this right.

Thanks! :)

I had one of thems combos and I believe the multiplier is locked. Just raise the FSB to hit 3.4, you probably don't even need to increase the voltage.

Depending on your RAM, you might have to change what speed the ram runs at.

I had one of thems combos and I believe the multiplier is locked. Just raise the FSB to hit 3.4, you probably don't even need to increase the voltage.

Depending on your RAM, you might have to change what speed the ram runs at.

The CPU voltage is currently set to auto, but the processor's voltage range is 0.8500V-1.3625V. When voltage is on auto, does it fluctuate in that range, or just stay on one number (not talking about power-saving modes)? My RAM, PI Black, has 4-4-4-12 timings, but with all the RAM options for my mobo, I'm not sure if any of them need to be off auto or not. I have a very nice Hardforum member currently aiding me, but getting some extra advice or knowledge never hurt.

1. yes you can use any cpu multiplier range below the max multiplier for the processor
2. yes it should be left at 100 or auto
3. when overclocking raising the FSB will increase the ram timing so unless you know your ram can overclock you will more then likely have to drop the multiplier on the ram.
4. yes you can leave them on auto.. auto should be 5-5-5-18 timing. unless its high end DDR2 800 which should be 4-4-4-12 timing. if it does come with 4-4-4-12 timing then more then likely the ram will do DDR2 1066 @ 5-5-5-18 2.0-2.1v
5. i don't know
6. the main voltage you would mess with is the CPU voltage if you have to. i do not recommend using auto on the cpu voltage, most motherboards will over volt by a huge margin just to make sure its stable.

i highly recommend looking around at reviews of your processor that have overclocking numbers 9 times out of 10 the numbers you see in the review are done with the stock cooler([H] is the exception since they use water cooling in all their cpu reviews) and will give you an idea of where to start at.

The CPU voltage is currently set to auto, but the processor's voltage range is 0.8500V-1.3625V. When voltage is on auto, does it fluctuate in that range, or just stay on one number (not talking about power-saving modes)? My RAM, PI Black, has 4-4-4-12 timings, but with all the RAM options for my mobo, I'm not sure if any of them need to be off auto or not. I have a very nice Hardforum member currently aiding me, but getting some extra advice or knowledge never hurt.

the voltage change you see is due to speedstep, i recommend turning it and C1E off while you are overclocking and then re-enabling it later. since your ram is 4-4-4-12 timing it more then likely will have no problems overclocking.. default will always be DDR2 800 5-5-5-18 1.8v timing unless you manually change it or the ram has an XMP profile that the bios supports.

Back