Oceans 11 meets EVE Online

Excellent stuff!

I have been playing Eve since it started in 2003 - its a great game!

And the whole Guiding Hand Social Club issue was just fantastic! (although slightly disturbing).

dissonance said:
It sounds cool but I have no idea what Eve online is.
Eve online is an MMO space sim game with a REDICULOUSLY HUGE complex universe, economy, and gameplay.

I havent played it past the tutorial, so I dont really know how big it is, but from just the tutorial, this game must take months to learn.

Killdozer said:
So did that really happen?

That's pretty amazing....
Yea it's a real. Afterwards the CEO of the company joined the feild of complainers about how much the managemnet tree of the company system sucks or something like that, cause it allows pirates to be a part of the company without the company knowing or something along those lines.

That is one of the main reasons I love an open ended pvp mmorpg.

The politics/intrigue/espionage/social aspects and wars that comes with it imo faaaaaaaar outclass anything you can have with usual "Everyone has to be a good guy/hero" type mmo.

While it's cool that it's so open-ended to allow this to happen, the problem is there is no police system in place to attempt a recovery of the items. If theft/outlaw activity is allowed, there must also be a counter to it. This person lost close to $40,000 in this attack. This is $40,000 of fake money, it's REAL WORLD MONEY. That's just not right...

I remember there was another one where people basically promised to share battleship plans worth 750 mil, but then just transferred them money to a different char...

Maximus825 said:
While it's cool that it's so open-ended to allow this to happen, the problem is there is no police system in place to attempt a recovery of the items. If theft/outlaw activity is allowed, there must also be a counter to it. This person lost close to $40,000 in this attack. This is $40,000 of fake money, it's REAL WORLD MONEY. That's just not right...

What's not right about it? It's a game and just as you said, fake money. (why'd you say "this is fake money, it's real world money?")

What about the saying, it takes a thief to catch a thief? If they wanted i'm sure they could have their own people get things back/infiltriate them.

Read the damn articles.... the stuff they stole would have been worth $16,500 USD had it been sold commercially for *real* money. Selling ingame money is illegal though ;)

As for the issue on pirates joining the company without them knowing, this is realistic, infact it happens all the time... I've had a job where having a criminal record would not have gotten you hired but legalities and processing times... plus luck can alter outcomes.

I kind of miss not taking the EVE Online beta when I had the chance but honestly I had enough trouble getting to work while WoW closed beta was happening:)

Lsv said:
Read the damn articles.... the stuff they stole would have been worth $16,500 USD had it been sold commercially for *real* money. Selling ingame money is illegal though ;)

As for the issue on pirates joining the company without them knowing, this is realistic, infact it happens all the time... I've had a job where having a criminal record would not have gotten you hired but legalities and processing times... plus luck can alter outcomes.

I kind of miss not taking the EVE Online beta when I had the chance but honestly I had enough trouble getting to work while WoW closed beta was happening:)

I read the article and know that, it just didn't make any damn sense the way he worded it.

"This is 40,000 of fake money, it's real world money."

Was he implying that it was fake money, but worth real money or what?

Lsv said:

Not to be an ass, but, the article byline:
"By: unbeliever | 2005/08/06"
This was posted about here before.

Lsv said:

Not illegal. Perhaps against the TOS, but there's no law against it.

[quote[While it's cool that it's so open-ended to allow this to happen, the problem is there is no police system in place to attempt a recovery of the items. If theft/outlaw activity is allowed, there must also be a counter to it.[/quote]

Agreed. I haven't played EVE, but IIRC, most of the game isn't a 'policed' zone so retribution would have to be based in vigilante action.

Back