Occasional video card "crash"

EnderW

[H]F Junkie
I've gotten this problem a handful of times over the last few months on my new system. It happens while I'm away from the computer and a restart fixes it. But very annoying. Bad video card or what?

X10SRA
E5-1650v4
32GB DDR4
K620
LG 34" 3440x1440 via display port
Windows 7

Attachments

• IMG_4765.JPG
    IMG_4765.JPG
    336.1 KB · Views: 37
according to the image can be three things in order of importance, first GPU, second System RAM, third DisplayPort related issue (really common that's why I try to stay away from DP).

wonky vRAM on GPU can cause that kind of issues, as well as a failing GPU core, however if it's fixed after restart I'll put some doubts there.

System RAM well.. not much too say here, a failing RAM module can act and behave as described.

DisplayPort, as well there are several well documented issues related to DisplayPort ranging from artifacting to no signal after awake from sleep, always a reboot fix it so another cable, another DP port may help, specially those that have DP in and DP out.. sometimes the DP Out port can work and show signal in the monitor but it always behave with random issues (worth to check)

Looks like a video card driver issue related to desktop screen resolution image alignment probably related to sleep or screensaver/inactivity mode (since you mention being away when it happens). Specifically, the restoring of the desktop screen when you come back isn't drawing the objects with the correct pixel offsets on each scanline. It's as if one part of the video driver thinks the desktop or screen is one resolution, say 1920x1080 while the other part of the driver thinks it is a different resolution like 3440x1440. Since the horizontal resolution is higher, the pixels for line 2 are appearing halfway through line 1 and so on.
Do you have multiple monitors? Did you have multiple monitors before (on the old system)? Did you get a higher resolution monitor recently? Did you do a fresh OS install with the new system or just migrate it over with a copying utility? Some context here of how the new system was built would be helpful.
In the meantime, use DDU to remove the video driver, then reinstall. Also tell Windows 7 to not install drivers automatically. https://support.microsoft.com/en-us...op-windows-7-automatically-installing-drivers

Looks like bad driver installation, displayport going south or failing ram.

Faulty vram on gpu is different as certain parts of the screen will be properly rendered but the odd parts where the vram is used has stripe artefacts.

Will do a fresh driver install and order a new cable. Thanks guys.

Back