OC OK but Games Freeze

camui

Weaksauce
I've OC my i7 920 to 4.12GHz and it has passed LinX with 20 passes and 7.5 hours of Prime95, but whenever I play games, my PC will freeze after 20-30 minutes. I tried upping the voltage with no luck. Is there a reason I can pass stability tests but not play games past a certain point?? Too bad I can't go above 4GHz (stable while gaming and stress tests) :confused:

I am no guru here, but I think these tests do not stress the GPU.

I guess when both the CPU and the GPU stress, then the motherboard gives up after some time. It perhaps takes it that much time to heat up and reach the failure level.

It will be interesting to have stress tests which stress both the GPU and the CPU.

you can try downloading occt and run the PSU test. (you will be required to download directx 9.0 newest install for this).

If your machine passes that test then i'm not sure. If it fails that test, try just the GPU test by itself and see what happens

Could be gpu related as mentioned. Could also be that you have some power c1e/speedstep-esque features enabled that are leading to issues in real world performance.

furmark doesn't mean anything in terms of stability.

it's not very realistic.. i would run a loop of unigine for a few hours to test gpu stability

Thanks for the reply's. I'll give OCCT and Heaven 2.0 a try and see what happens. Also, all CPU related features are disabled in BIOS so it that can't be the problem.

whats your case ?you may be getting a build up of heat inside case ? causing a failure ...

Case is the HAF 932 and haven't had a chance to test out my PC yet. Will update possibly tmr on my results.

furmark doesn't mean anything in terms of stability.

it's not very realistic.. i would run a loop of unigine for a few hours to test gpu stability

i find it useful to load both cpu and gpu i've found that if it works for 30hr with both going ..it will pass other longer test such as 12+ hours of prime95 (which i lack the patience for usually :) )

well, I had to increase voltage one notch and PCI-E to 101. OCCT got my GPU over 100C so that was a failure. Heaven 2.0 is doing OK and has been running for the past 1 hour.

Back