OC Leads to vista corruption

jwright33

n00b
Hello, A lot to read, sorry!

Not sure if I have an issue or not, but I have been overclocking my systems for a number of years now. Had good success with my old 775 system, running a e8400 and x3330 @ 4ghz and as much success with my current 1366 rig. In all those years I might have corrupted windows a couple of times due to overclocking failures.
The problem comes from my new "light" gaming rig, I have a Asrock P55de3 1156 socket with a i5-650, 2x2gb ddr3 1600, zalman performa cnps10x cooler, cx500m psu, all this running with vista 64bit. I have corrupted windows to the point of having to reinstall 3 times in just the few days I have had the system up and running. Two of these fails were very light overclock attempts. I am getting very gun shy to try any more overclocking, I am extremely tired of reinstalling and updating windows. I know that fails to overclock can happen, but it feels with this setup, it leads to windows corruption every time.

So, do I just have a system now that's not going to be forgiving to overclocking or is there something else I am doing wrong. I know I have been spoiled to the good motherboards I have used in my other systems, and this board is definitely more "bargin" than they were.

I would go with the motherboard just not tolerating overclocking. There are more than a few bargain boards that run into trouble when it comes to overclocking.

The only other thing that could maybe be causing issues is borderline failing memory that is pushed over the edge when you overclock.

I thought the board would be able to get me to atleast 4ghz from what I had read. So you maybe right.

The settings I used just off the top of my head would have been something like 21x multi, 160 blck,
1.25v cpu, 1.81 pll, 1.52v dram, spread spec off, speedstep off, I did however leave vtt in auto this last time.
These setting are for a marginal increase of speed, and yet it cause a boot fail, and windows corrupt.
The boot fails don't alarm me as much as the fact it feels like any boot fail leads to windows corrupt.
The drive is one I had been using in my main system, it shows no faults when checked out. I might just be having finally luck turn a bit against me and if I continue to play this out, it will balance out. Just thought it was weird to have so many hard failures in so short a time. I do have to admit I stumble my way through overclocking, but I havnt killed any hardware, and usually get to the speeds and stability I aimed for.

Could be your sata controller too, maybe? Does the same thing happen if you leave bclk at default and just increase the multiplier (success here could also indicate faulty ram, though)? Or change it from ahci to IDE mode?

Hello, A lot to read, sorry!

Not sure if I have an issue or not, but I have been overclocking my systems for a number of years now. Had good success with my old 775 system, running a e8400 and x3330 @ 4ghz and as much success with my current 1366 rig. In all those years I might have corrupted windows a couple of times due to overclocking failures.
The problem comes from my new "light" gaming rig, I have a Asrock P55de3 1156 socket with a i5-650, 2x2gb ddr3 1600, zalman performa cnps10x cooler, cx500m psu, all this running with vista 64bit. I have corrupted windows to the point of having to reinstall 3 times in just the few days I have had the system up and running. Two of these fails were very light overclock attempts. I am getting very gun shy to try any more overclocking, I am extremely tired of reinstalling and updating windows. I know that fails to overclock can happen, but it feels with this setup, it leads to windows corruption every time.

So, do I just have a system now that's not going to be forgiving to overclocking or is there something else I am doing wrong. I know I have been spoiled to the good motherboards I have used in my other systems, and this board is definitely more "bargin" than they were.

memory does that when not stable. did you try booting into memtest and letting it run for at least an hour with your overclocked (or default) settings?

I will try to test out the memory and some of the other suggestions after work this weekend, don't want system messed up while I don't have time or access to fix it, this system is my work gaming "laptop"

Well, I made some progress on the system.

I ran memtest several times through on the default memory settings, then when upclocked to 825, and even with the slight overclock it was stable with no errors

I found that if I selected ahci it would cause a bsod at the windows loading screen. I found the registry edit guide, to let me change a key, that then let me select ahci and everything loaded fine.

Still havnt pushed the OC very far at all, will do more in the coming weekend, but all is stable in prime95 so far. One big change is that I did manual control on VTT volts, don't know why I didn't before. Running bclk at 165 with 21multi, I would like to get to atleast 175 with 23multi.

WOW!!!! OP you know that board was a total fail when it came out. They never made a good one.

WOW!!!! OP you know that board was a total fail when it came out. They never made a good one.

Ya, it may be, but it was cheap, so it fit for what I could do at the time. In hindsight, wish I would have waited for something better

Back