Obsidian3D 3Dfx 50-4400 Rev B 8MB 3D Voodoo 1 + AMETHYST Daughter Card

There's a problem when a card that hasn't been tested as working (timestamped video shown with it running Glide in a retro system) sells for this much. There were capacitor problems in those days on some boards and cards also, but hey, rich people problems...). But at least he did state that it hasn't been run in a system in more than 20 years...

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Definitely not worth it at that price, but hey, whatever people want to pay. I did bid on it early, but I knew it was going to sell for over $1k so I just watched after that.

The card is fixable if not working, but for the price it sold at, it should have included oem documentation, packaging, full testing documentation/photos/videos/etc. People are getting pretty crazy for what they pay top dollar for, haha.

This was my auction. Never expected the price to get to that point. I was surprised as most. Unfortunately, it was a non-paying bidder, so I had to offer it to the next highest bidder at $4800. If that falls through, I will relist it. Card is/was working. Never had an issue. I guess I can put in my old 2008 setup with a PCI slot, and see if all is well. I just never thought anyone would want this dinosaur.

The memories.... Never got to afford one back in the day.

But the feeling and excitement of running Quake1 in Glide for the first time was pure bliss.

This was my auction. Never expected the price to get to that point. I was surprised as most. Unfortunately, it was a non-paying bidder, so I had to offer it to the next highest bidder at $4800. If that falls through, I will relist it. Card is/was working. Never had an issue. I guess I can put in my old 2008 setup with a PCI slot, and see if all is well. I just never thought anyone would want this dinosaur.
If you can, I would and take pictures with the date/time.
You listed the item as used, if the buyer founds it as not working, they can go to eBay and get their $4800 back and you might not even get your card back.

I had this happen. I sold a TV mainboard as used, It was working perfectly and I had pictures to prove it. Guy puts in a refund request after almost 60 days saying it stopped working... I told him since it was over 30 days and it was sold as is. Sorry.

He went to eBay put a claim, he told them it never worked. I fought back with proof and him telling me otherwise that it stopped working after the 30 days, and he still got his refund.

In addition.. If untested and you don't know 100% that it works with photo/video proof, you list it as "For parts / not working" and "no returns". That will also prevent some scamming. Used condition means the item fully works.
Yep, this is correct.

Yep, this is correct.
I agree. Too much risk inherent in selling something so old for such an awesome price. The two highest bidders never followed through, and since then, I found all the original accessories and box that accompanied the card. Should be even more valuable now I suspect. And to think, I was going to put this card in the recycling haha. I even found the original purchase receipt direct from Q3D!

I will create another auction at some point, but this time I will test it to confirm functionality as well. And take videos as proof, and also video when shipping/sealing package, so scammers cant take advantage.

My search paid off immensely, as I found two 100SBs and my X24 as well!

Attachments

• IMG_5038.jpg
    IMG_5038.jpg
    629.6 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_5043.jpg
    IMG_5043.jpg
    411.2 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_5039.jpg
    IMG_5039.jpg
    821.5 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_5040.jpg
    IMG_5040.jpg
    479.7 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_5042.jpg
    IMG_5042.jpg
    579 KB · Views: 0
That's mint condition as hell, man. Did you buy it for a fortune when it came out and just decided to shelf it after a bit?

And what's with the non-paying bidders? Are they just trolls looking to ruin a lister's day(s) for kicks?

I will create another auction at some point, but this time I will test it to confirm functionality as well. And take videos as proof, and also video when shipping/sealing package, so scammers cant take advantage.
I keep hearing these horror stories about eBay and their Indian support... I feel like they're run by bots almost who don't take the seller's facts into account whatsoever and just want to appease the buyers no matter the cost or devestation to the seller. I wonder even with all this proof, if it will stop a scammer from being successful

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree. Too much risk inherent in selling something so old for such an awesome price. The two highest bidders never followed through, and since then, I found all the original accessories and box that accompanied the card. Should be even more valuable now I suspect. And to think, I was going to put this card in the recycling haha. I even found the original purchase receipt direct from Q3D!

My search paid off immensely, as I found two 100SBs and my X24 as well!
Let us know when you post it! Curious to see how much you get. Cool piece of history. I vaguely remember the ads for these, during that era. I think they were in the benchmarks.

Let us know when you post it! Curious to see how much you get. Cool piece of history. I vaguely remember the ads for these, during that era. I think they were in the benchmarks.
That's mint condition as hell, man. Did you buy it for a fortune when it came out and just decided to shelf it after a bit?

And what's with the non-paying bidders? Are they just trolls looking to ruin a lister's day(s) for kicks?

I keep hearing these horror stories about eBay and their Indian support... I feel like they're run by bots almost who don't take the seller's facts into account whatsoever and just want to appease the buyers no matter the cost or devestation to the seller. I wonder even with all this proof, if it will stop a scammer from being successful
No, one of the founder's sons was my roommate. We got most of them for free, along with a few engineering samples for testing. Epic days for sure!

UPDATE: I just found my prized 200SB with OG Video Module attached + Medusa Cable! I have never seen any of these in the wild. How rare are they?

Attachments

• IMG_7250.jpg
    IMG_7250.jpg
    513.4 KB · Views: 0
Back