Obsidian to announce new title

Yesterday's "hidden" message

To tenderness, fellowship. To fellowship, vigilance. So bring we all to the Night Market. I am the Spindle of Esenath. Know me by my light and stand with me in darkness

Currently in the page code

Two centuries ago, your divine champion told the people of Dyrwood to grovel at his feet. If you've come on pilgrimage to the blasted crater that was our reply, Godhammer Citadel is *that* way. -->

Hard to speculate right now, but it smells like a new IP.

Last edited:
i hope it turns out better then that terrible dungeon siege 3

I'm seeing a dragon encircling what looks like the number '3'

Or is that just the countdown :eek:

Cool, kinda hoping it's a new IP.

i hope it turns out better then that terrible dungeon siege 3

On a positive note, Dungeon siege is on their own onyx engine, and it was pretty solid as far as being bugs is concerned. Some of the design choices were dumb in DS3 though, Let's just hope those bad choices was Sega trying to dumb it down for the casual gamer. Of course Obsidian did decide to make the game more "single player story" than "a true multiplayer, with less emphasis on story". I have hopes that their focus will be more clear this time around,

Although they did a good job with New Vegas, I really hope it's not Fallout 4. Bethesda really should be developing that themselves. And I'm pretty sure they are.

You mean Bethesda really should be giving up on that and never touching it themselves. Of the two recent Fallout games, one was developed by Bethesda and the other Obsidian. The only good one was by Obsidian, so I'd say that they "should be" developing it over Bethesda.

Although they did a good job with New Vegas, I really hope it's not Fallout 4. Bethesda really should be developing that themselves. And I'm pretty sure they are.

I'm pretty sure they are, too. Sad. Bethesda kinda fucked up the whole theme and setting with Fallout 3.

Man, WoT would be awesome. Highly underrated series, IMO. Hopefully a game based on it would do it some justice, I'd really enjoy it.

You mean Bethesda really should be giving up on that and never touching it themselves. Of the two recent Fallout games, one was developed by Bethesda and the other Obsidian. The only good one was by Obsidian, so I'd say that they "should be" developing it over Bethesda.

I would say the exact opposite. I really enjoyed Fallout 3, played it several times. New Vegas, I tried to force myself to like it, but I gave up after about 10 hours or so. I just could not get into it.

Man, WoT would be awesome. Highly underrated series, IMO. Hopefully a game based on it would do it some justice, I'd really enjoy it.

I agree, but I'm skeptical. Presumably you would play as a channeller, but most of what is involved in channelling isn't really something you can depict in a computer game... or maybe I'm just not creative enough... :p

Jeeeez now i'm all of a sudden super impatient for the last book :(

I would say the exact opposite. I really enjoyed Fallout 3, played it several times. New Vegas, I tried to force myself to like it, but I gave up after about 10 hours or so. I just could not get into it.

I honestly do not understand this opinion. There was really not much Fallout like about Fallout 3, other than the setting and a little lore. Fallout 3 very much led you by the hand while NV gave you the freedom to affect the world around you.

Anyway, reports are saying this is NOT a Wheel of Time game. Possibly Baldur's Gate 3 or Icewind Dale 3.

I'm pretty sure they are, too. Sad. Bethesda kinda fucked up the whole theme and setting with Fallout 3.

Care to explain why? I never played any game aside from NV and 3.

I have more hours in NV over FO3, and gameplay and story wise I do prefer NV. I feel like it is a good improvement over 3, though I thought FO3 was a good game. Was it the really bad attempts at humor? How everything was really exaggerated and cheesy? :p I assume the original games had a much more serious tone and gritty feel.

I honestly do not understand this opinion. There was really not much Fallout like about Fallout 3, other than the setting and a little lore. Fallout 3 very much led you by the hand while NV gave you the freedom to affect the world around you.

Anyway, reports are saying this is NOT a Wheel of Time game. Possibly Baldur's Gate 3 or Icewind Dale 3.

I had the same experience with the two games. By all accounts I should have loved New Vegas, bugs and all but it never captured me the way FO3 did. NV had better writing, a better story, better characters, and a setting that I should have fallen in love with instantly, but the game never grabbed me. I spent over 100 hours in Fallout 3 and bought all the DLC as soon as it released. New Vegas, I think I've managed 8-9 hours since I picked it up and haven't had any interest in grabbing the DLC or even bothering with mods.

I liked the story and quests much better in FO3. NV quest felt like a drag with little payout. I couldn’t connect with the main character enough in NV also. You’re just some carrier who got shot and wants revenge. Just didn’t feel as personal as trying to find your dad, Liam Neeson, in the wasteland.

Yet I do agree the gameplay was improved. Felt more RPG like which is what I wanted in FO3. But I hardly give Obsidian full credit. It's easy to take an existing game and improve on it. Well it should be anyways.

I had the same experience with the two games. By all accounts I should have loved New Vegas, bugs and all but it never captured me the way FO3 did. NV had better writing, a better story, better characters, and a setting that I should have fallen in love with instantly, but the game never grabbed me. I spent over 100 hours in Fallout 3 and bought all the DLC as soon as it released. New Vegas, I think I've managed 8-9 hours since I picked it up and haven't had any interest in grabbing the DLC or even bothering with mods.

Also better gunplay, better VATS, better world design, actual choice and consequence, true to already established lore, no level scaling, better balance in character building, hardcore mode, actual prper implementation of skill checks, NPC follower quest arcs... maybe the problem was you? ;)

I liked the story and quests much better in FO3. NV quest felt like a drag with little payout. I couldn’t connect with the main character enough in NV also. You’re just some carrier who got shot and wants revenge. Just didn’t feel as personal as trying to find your dad, Liam Neeson, in the wasteland.

Yet I do agree the gameplay was improved. Felt more RPG like which is what I wanted in FO3. But I hardly give Obsidian full credit. It's easy to take an existing game and improve on it. Well it should be anyways.

Uh, you never finished the game then as there is much more to the story than that.

Anyway... you chucklefucks done now? There is a topic at hand. :p

I played both and enjoyed both equally (FO3 and FO:NV). While I thought that there was much more open-ended decision making in FO:NV, I felt the world was too sparsely populated and I felt boxed in a few times, where the game sort of prevented me from exploring where I wanted to go.

If they had taken the setting of FO3 and mixed it with the game design of FO:NV it would have been perfect IMO.

Saw the first rumor the other day about Fallout 4 being set in Boston, MA. That was on the Nexus but I'm assuming F4 would be all Bethesda and not Bethesda-Obsidian combo like I'd prefer as it was on New Vegas. I adore both games for what they are.

I wish they'd take the series out of the USA. It's time.

Yeah but you say it isn't a WoT game so who cares anymore?

I Kid...

It's really unlikely since another studio has the rights to that at the moment. We are probably expecting a new IP from either JE Sawyer or Chris Avellone (or both). There are hints here and there, I think they are expecting us to figure it out before Friday.

It may even be The Black Hound (BG3) taken out of the Forgotten Realms setting. JE Sawyer actually has the rights and assets to that still.

Also better gunplay, better VATS, better world design, actual choice and consequence, true to already established lore, no level scaling, better balance in character building, hardcore mode, actual prper implementation of skill checks, NPC follower quest arcs... maybe the problem was you? ;)

Yes all that too. Was tempted to edit in "better gameplay" but didn't get around to it. Either way it's one of those weird things. I do suspect FO3 is the root cause as I got burnt out on the game and despite being better NV's gameplay still feels the same.

Care to explain why? I never played any game aside from NV and 3.

I have more hours in NV over FO3, and gameplay and story wise I do prefer NV. I feel like it is a good improvement over 3, though I thought FO3 was a good game. Was it the really bad attempts at humor? How everything was really exaggerated and cheesy? :p I assume the original games had a much more serious tone and gritty feel.

It was too influenced by Bethesda "personality". They even retconned more than a couple parts of the story. Too self referential and too different in narrative. The ending(s) were complete derp, I'd say ME3 did a better job and I didn't care for that game.

Like it or not, Chris Avellone is the guy behind the writing in Planescape: Torment. Bethesda has no chance to compete in that area. Their stories are too generic and cliche in comparison.

When it comes to sandbox RPG, I don't just want to be along for the ride. I want to carve out my own place in that world. FO1, FO2 and New Vegas had that in spades. The third did not. The options were either binary, or gave the illusion of such.

Anyway, I can't really bitch about going OT if I keep doing it, too.

Hints are trending towards a Lovecraft style RPG.
Asenath = Jewish/Egyptian mythology as well as Cthulu sotries by Lovecraft.
Ouroboros references = almost all mythology but also Lovecraft.
Eír Glanfath = Celtic origin, possibly Innsmouth related.

With the recent KotOR II rerelease on Steam and recent final build of the content restored mod, it could also be KotOR III. It would be a good time for it.

With the recent KotOR II rerelease on Steam and recent final build of the content restored mod, it could also be KotOR III. It would be a good time for it.

Wishful thinking. TOR is the continuation of KOTOR and it sounds like LucasArts doesn't want to hire outside studios anymore for SW projects.

FO3 felt a little more of the post apocalyptic "the land really got hosed" feeling. But that's pretty much all. NV had everything else better (and bugs where better for me too). Though some of the DLCs for NV captured that post apocalyptic feeling better than vanilla NV and FO3. Those DLCs were a trip.

And of course some people just don't dig the cowboy mojave thing either.

Lucas Arts doesn't want KOTOR 3 stealing any TOR thunder. But then again, maybe they gave up on TOR so quickly?

btw, who's publishing this? That might be telling.

Wishful thinking. TOR is the continuation of KOTOR and it sounds like LucasArts doesn't want to hire outside studios anymore for SW projects.

It's not wishful thinking, just theories. I really have no idea what the plan is, but I do know they are on the move with the hype machine.

If I were wishfully thinking, I'd be opting for a spiritual successor to PS:T.

It's not wishful thinking, just theories. I really have no idea what the plan is, but I do know they are on the move with the hype machine.

If I were wishfully thinking, I'd be opting for a spiritual successor to PS:T.

Honestly I think PS: T would be more likely, though Obsidian would deserve to be slapped upside the head if they went back to working with Atari after NWN2.

FO3 felt a little more of the post apocalyptic "the land really got hosed" feeling. But that's pretty much all. NV had everything else better (and bugs where better for me too). Though some of the DLCs for NV captured that post apocalyptic feeling better than vanilla NV and FO3. Those DLCs were a trip.

And of course some people just don't dig the cowboy mojave thing either.

Lucas Arts doesn't want KOTOR 3 stealing any TOR thunder. But then again, maybe they gave up on TOR so quickly?

btw, who's publishing this? That might be telling.

It's a sound business plan to cash in on the failure of TOR with an IP that is a solid entry ala KotOR. Knowing Lucasarts, I have no expectation of that happening at all. Though, it would be interesting.

As far as publisher... who knows? Maybe CD Prjekt is giving it a go ;)

Agreed that FO:NV + DLC were an experience like few others. They stay installed on my computer for when I get the urge to revisit.

They are currently hiring for 2D artists

Honestly I think PS: T would be more likely, though Obsidian would deserve to be slapped upside the head if they went back to working with Atari after NWN2.

I'd imagine they would go open license rather than hassle with a proper 5th Ed license. Even Pathfinder would work fine. It would likely be just a spiritual successor, as it would be easier to get funded.

I honestly thought Mask of the Betrayer was somewhat of a spiritual successor. It was fantastic (not quite as good, but far better combat).

Yep. Spiritual successor would be the way to go for PST, imo.

Anyways, as for Obsidian, I'm eager to see what they have in store for us.

It's Obsidian, will be buggy, released before it's ready, and totally unplayable till first patch. SPeaking not of half of the content being removed from game, and you will get it restored in like 10 years from release date.

They literally screwed up every game they been making.

On the other hand, I'd sell my soul for a good Wheel of Time game :), especially for good WoT MMO :)

It's Obsidian, will be buggy, released before it's ready, and totally unplayable till first patch. SPeaking not of half of the content being removed from game, and you will get it restored in like 10 years from release date.

They literally screwed up every game they been making.

On the other hand, I'd sell my soul for a good Wheel of Time game :), especially for good WoT MMO :)

Alpha Protocol aside Obsidian's games are a product of being fucked by publishers. LucasArts forced them to rush KOTOR2 which means they had to cut content. Atari rushed NWN2, but that game and it's expansions actually ended up being pretty good in the long run. I believe I heard that Bethesda was responsible for QA on NV. No clue where to toss blame for Dungeon Siege 3.

I think I'm going to cast my guess at it being a WoT game as well, especially since they were hired to do one back in 2010.

Uh, you never finished the game then as there is much more to the story than that.

I completed both games. Putting 100+ hrs in FO3 and about 80+ in NV. I enjoyed it enough obviously but I think FO3 writing is superior. Even the quests were more memorable in FO3 IMO.

Back