Obsidian Talks About the Style and Setting of The Outer Worlds

AlphaAtlas

[H]ard|Gawd
Staff member
While reading reviews about and commentary on Fallout 76, one of the most common opinions I run into is "We just want more Fallout: New Vegas." In other words, it seems that many players crave the stories and character-based worldbuilding that the single player Fallout experiences delivered, and that Fallout 76 largely skips. In a previous interview, Obsidian mentioned that The Outer Worlds is basically the New Vegas sequel they always wanted to make, and two recent interviews from Game Informer really drive that point home. The first, which dives into the universe of The Outer Worlds, reveals that the game will feature a Fallout-esque constructed world and similar over-the-top jabs at society, and the "1930s Dieselpunk Deadwood" theme mentioned in another interview could easily describe the Mojave desert in New Vegas.

The Outer Worlds is first and foremost a rollicking outer space adventure, but like the original Fallout that Cain and Boyarsky helped create, one of the magic ingredients is a healthy dose of social commentary (often couched in absurdist humor)... Boyarsky: Dieselpunk is very 1930s, and I was like "That's unfortunate, because that almost feels like what we want." I just threw out "Dieselpunk Deadwood," and then we were like, "That's what we have to somehow encapsulate." ...This is where we, as far as the environment goes, really hit where we wanted to go with the project.

Yep, looking good. I'm almost certainly maybe perhaps going to buy it one day. But no more pre-orders for me... ever (I keep telling myself).

Reactions: Madoc
like this
Their marketing team is really on point. I had forgotten about this and they are pushing the mssage out to keep it going stale.

Hope it's good.

I just hope the combat also has an optional VATS system, not just the Max Payne time dilation they demonstrated.

I'd prefer if the story quality was more like the original ME games. Hell, make the game play more like that to since Bioware seems to have jumped into the open world MMO fray as well. New Vegas was okay, but story writing was still underwhelming. I'm not sure if that was due to it having to be a Fallout game which is more exploration based or because the engine was garbage. Probably a combination of both. I'm not sure if I am interested enough to open another 300 cabinets looking for a tiny bit of currency or parts to run back to a UI to craft some doohickey, only to find out 100 rusted pieces of steel wasn't what I needed, but rather a 1000 VERY rusty pieces of steel. I've had enough of playing the garbage man for a good while.

If they can focus more on a good story, theme and setting I'd be more interested. Quality over quantity.

It's rounding up to sound like an average shooter with a few weeks of enjoyment. I approve. Not every game will be the best thing you've ever played, and I'm okay with that as long as what we see at launch is their final product and not a work in progress.

At this point, about 550 hours for me the game, Fallout 76 is just great. I usually start to burn out with that many hours but not in this game. I have lots to do and although my char is pretty strong there's lots more to try.

Its by far the best Fallout made to date, and I have played all the 3D Fallout games a lot. I'll probably get this, but only if I'm done with Fallout 76 and that might not happen soon. ;)

At this point, about 550 hours for me the game, Fallout 76 is just great. I usually start to burn out with that many hours but not in this game. I have lots to do and although my char is pretty strong there's lots more to try.

Its by far the best Fallout made to date, and I have played all the 3D Fallout games a lot. I'll probably get this, but only if I'm done with Fallout 76 and that might not happen soon. ;)

i just find it super boring with all criticisms aside. the quests are not memorable, rewards are often low, players come and go (no real relationships) and you end up farming key spots only. how have you found more fun things to do just curious!

i just find it super boring with all criticisms aside. the quests are not memorable, rewards are often low, players come and go (no real relationships) and you end up farming key spots only. how have you found more fun things to do just curious!
LOL. I don't do quests. Well sometimes if it fits my purpose. I play for the fighting not rewards. Never much cared about that.

I hunt and kill Scorchbeasts. It is my purpose now and its just fun. Did 3 yesterday, 2 ran and hid in their Fissure. This was the last:

awesome! Being melee only i havn't had much luck with scorch beasts except the queen. Since the patch though they dont look as nuts. I am taking a break after about 100 hours at level 60. i'm hoping they give more life to it in the next few months.

Last edited:
I did get a serious reward last night after an amazing series of events that could only happen in Fallout 76. I picked up a very good Legendary for cheap, a level 50 All Rise at a bot vendor, someone sold it to him to get rid of it. The quest I was going to do because the end is fun had this item, All Rise, as its reward. Ok. I don't really care about All Rise but I bought it and forgot about it.

I wander out into the madness and find my way to Robco where the second part of that quest happens. Ran into level 58 Mr Gutsys, some of the most dangerous things in the game. Remembered I had All Rise in my pocket, a Legendary Super Sledge, and thought hmm. So I bashed the suckers and it worked pretty good although I am not optimized for 2 hand. The second one was a Legendary one and dropped a 3 star Legendary. All Rise is a 2 star. So I now have a Legendary Shiskabab that ignores 50% of Armor, swings 40% faster and weighs 90% less. ;)

I will be hunting Scorchbeasts with it later on. ;) I am going to give All Rise to the first guy I meet with his mic on. ;)

So far they're only saying that this game will be out sometime in 2019, right?

This game seems so far away it is impossible to get even a little excited about it.

Back