Obsidian Employee is Remaking Star Wars Dark Forces

AlphaAtlas

[H]ard|Gawd
Staff member
Jason Lewis, a professional senior environment artist at Obsidian, is reportedly porting the environments of Star Wars Dark Forces to Unreal Engine 4 as a passion project. While port looks significantly better than the 1995 FPS, to say the last, it doesn't feature any shootable enemies yet. If you want to try it out, you should get it while the download link is still up, as Disney has a history of taking down similiar projects (like the KOTOR port to Unreal Engine 4).

Check out a video of the project here.

Download the project here before Disney makes it disappear... Thanks so much for watching everyone, and I look forward to seeing you on the battlefield!

I feel like UE4 can just make everything look amazing based on lighting alone and Star Wars uses relatively simple textures. Besides that the map does look great even in motion. Never did play Dark Forces, first Star Wars game I played was Shadows of the Empire. Would be great to get these sort of singleplayer story based SW games again, here's hoping Respawn doesn't fuck it up.

Download the project here before Disney makes it disappear...

Does his page really say that? He's banking on them just removing the content and being done with it, but that statement removes any doubt that he knows he's violating IP, so if they sought compensation, it wouldn't go over well.

...And it's down. Because of Google Drive quota, but it's down nonetheless.

Does his page really say that? He's banking on them just removing the content and being done with it, but that statement removes any doubt that he knows he's violating IP, so if they sought compensation, it wouldn't go over well.

Its not technically illegal per-say, though not entirely legal either. Its a legal grey area. Fan projects like this might fall outside a of copyright or IP violation, as long as they aren't making money from it, but no one wants to get into a fight with the legal teams of big game publishers.

...And it's down. Because of Google Drive quota, but it's down nonetheless.

Its not down dude....follow these instructions:

If you get the file has Quota exceeded do this :

Go back to the Google Drive page for the file

Use icon at top right to "Copy to my drive",

Open your google drive, right click on ME_Level.zip, choose "Make a copy" -

then download the copy. It's large so it will take a while.. Then after you download you can delete it from your Google Drive or keep the copy and delete the original or delete both your preference..

This looks way more authentic, natural, and immersive than DICE Battlefront games, which look and feel soulless by comparison. A KOTOR or non Jedi/prequel/Disney story in this environment would be amazing.

I hope that all the content is released and if it gets shut down that other people continue working on it. People should be in the habit of not announcing these things until they're ready for at least a rough playthrough, and then release the content right away so people can play, archive, and work on it themselves to finish it if it gets shut down.

The video of the project, which contains that statement on it, is uploaded by someone else, not the Obsidian developer who created the project.

It is too bad that so many talented artists make amazing free content based on works not in the public domain instead of making brand new free content. It doesn't have to be Star Wars. If it still looks good, so what if it's called Fantastical Astronomical Battalion, or something.

The link is shared by the video uploader, who is not the same person who created this. Frankly the video uploader comes across as a total moron. He is basically begging disney to shoot this project down.

Awesome work there, I played Dark Forces back in the Day and this is light years better, Kessel Run eat your heart out.
It's sad that Disney decided to squash this, yeah the Dark Side got wind of this pdq.
Sigh, this would have been an awesome game, Dark Forces always had what Doom never did and yes I've played Doom too.

I have never understood why these companies don't just take advantage of these projects by fans. The company can sit back and make money off of a project that they didn't have to dedicate the talent into creating.

Man-I remember DF. That game had THE MOST satisfying CRUNCH sound when you got crushed under closing doors. I just remember it sounded like someone mixed a bag of doritos and jelly and that was your innards getting squeezed out. You could feel the bones shattering into a thousand pieces from that sound file alone. Loved that game.

I have never understood why these companies don't just take advantage of these projects by fans. The company can sit back and make money off of a project that they didn't have to dedicate the talent into creating.

I really don't either. Sitting on a gold mine!

already down. can't download.

edit: can someone post the files somewhere else? thx in advance!!!

Argh, not [H] too... This is a Mos Eisley test level released in 2016 and unrelated to Dark Forces. It keeps popping up whenever some Youtuber finds it. No DF remake related info has been released, and is pure speculation.

I would buy a true remake of the original Dark Forces games. See Disney, there is money to be made, you better stark making them remakes now... :p

I've said it 10000 times before and here it is again... X-Wing / Tie-Fighter dammit!

The video looks really good, but the douchebag in the video is janking on the mouse so hard it made my head hurt. Go slower, smoother, moron.

I would love to see KOTOR and TSL released on a new engine with all content restored and improved graphics and 4K FMVs.

People have been asking for a KOTOR I/II remaster for ages. Frankly, I don't know what's taking EA so long, especially since the KOTOR mobile port and remasters from other IPs are selling really well.

So what is it? This rehashed stuff from years ago ported to the current version of Unreal that the guy who posted had nothing to do with? or something else? Instructions on how to download worked perfect, and crap that's a big download.

Back