Obscure games that you loved

Discussion in 'General Gaming' started by Lucian Hodoboc, Nov 28, 2018.

1. Lucian Hodoboc

Lucian Hodoboc n00b

Are there any games that were not particularly popular (meaning that the majority has probably never played or even heard of them), but you really enjoyed playing? Share the titles in this thread. :)

maro and Formula.350 like this.
  2. Westwood Arrakis

Westwood Arrakis Limp Gawd

Warlords Battlecry...3? Iunno, one of them. Maybe 2. Played that for a solid year after my AOE2 addiction.

Lucian Hodoboc likes this.
  3. Cranky1970

Cranky1970 [H]Lite

GORE The ultimate soldier. Very fond memories !

acairman and Niner like this.
  4. Krenum

Krenum [H]ardForum Junkie

Tachyon: The Fringe

5. renswic

renswic [H]ardness Supreme

Anymore? "Go play outside and don't come back until the street lights are on"

Sulphademus and dragonstongue like this.
  6. Krenum

Heh, it was "Come home before the street lights come on" when I was growing up.

F22 Interceptor - Sega Genesis

General Chaos

Total Carnage

Revolution X

Conquest Frontier Wars

7. EvilViking

EvilViking I Drank All Your Beer

Portal 2. Don't know if that counts as non popular tho.

8. MavericK

MavericK Zero Cool

200px-Battledrome.jpg

I'm not sure how obscure it was, but I never knew anyone else who played it, so...

Aireoth and Armenius like this.
  9. DrLobotomy

DrLobotomy [H]ardness Supreme

10. criccio

criccio Fully Equipped

11. Lucian Hodoboc

Lucian Hodoboc n00b

I loved that game too. :D I used to have it on DVD, but it eventually broke. I wonder if the game can still be found online and whether it's compatible with Windows 10.

12. Westwood Arrakis

Westwood Arrakis Limp Gawd

Behold!

https://www.moddb.com/games/the-protectors

Lucian Hodoboc likes this.
  13. M76

M76 [H]ardForum Junkie

Reaperkk likes this.
  14. Armenius

Armenius I Drive Myself to the [H]ospital

Street Racing Syndicate. Loved that game. Played through the whole thing the first time in one night on the Gamecube. It came out at a time when the market was saturated with these kinds of driving games due to the popularity of F&F and NFS Underground.
    I remember every time going into Circuit City as a kid seeing these games displayed prominently on the shelves in the PC section. Never actually tried them, though.
    I don't think Train Simulator or your two bonus titles meet the definition of obscure. The last two may not be very popular, but everyone knows about them and sales were strong.

GoldenTiger likes this.
  15. jrobdog

jrobdog Limp Gawd

Aerobiz Supersonic for the SNES.
    Asherons Call 2

Quisling likes this.
  16. along the way

along the way n00b

Not sure if this first one is really all that obscure, but..

MDK by Shiny Entertainment (PC, PSX 1997)
    Mdk1cover.jpg

It's a third person action shooter with each level starting out with the main character (Kurt) skydiving from low earth orbit onto gigantic alien bulldozers crawling across the Earth. He runs, parachutes, and snipes his way through each level killing aliens to destroy the alien bulldozers before they can wipe out our cities. It's hard to describe all the weird awesome little bits Shiny threw into this title, but if you've played their other titles (or just play MDK), you can get a pretty good idea. It's available on Steam and Good Old Games. There was a sequel released in 2000 (also available on Steam/GOG), allowing you to play as all three main characters: Max, Doc, and Kurt. ;)

This next one I think is quite a bit more obscure.

The Sting! by Neo Software (PC 2001)
    TheSting%21VGBoxArt.jpg

It's a burglary game where you case your targets, purchase equipment (tools, getaway car, etc), hire accomplices, plan out, and finally execute burglaries in a fictitious modern steampunk'ish city. I first played it way back in 2001 and never finished it, but I started it back up a couple months ago and I've been having a blast. It's not available on Steam AFAIK and my original copy simply would not work in Win10. I was able to track down and purchase a digital copy elsewhere though that does work with Win10.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2018
  17. Denpepe

Denpepe Gawd

Hmm hard to say, maybe

986631103-00.jpg

Or maybe centurion for the megadrive

18. T4rd

T4rd [H]ardForum Junkie

4x4 Evolution - I played on Dreamcast, it was basically Gran Turismo for off roading because it had a pretty large selection of trucks and SUVs and large amount of mods to go along with them. But it had (gasp!) cross-play with PC gamers back in the dial-up days and for a racing game it played pretty well! What was also cool was that mods and custom maps made on PC could also be downloaded and played on the DC version as well. I got a Keyboard for my DC just for that game and also for Phantasy Star Online. I was part of a racing team on there and we did Tournaments and everything.

Super Strike Eagle - SNES fighter jet game that would swap between 2D and psuedo-3D for combat when enemies got close to you. I was never able to beat it, as it seemed the further you got into the game, the faster your jet would run out of fuel for missions and I could never finish one of the last missions before running out of fuel. It was a pretty fun game though.

GoldenTiger and Formula.350 like this.
  19. NoOther

NoOther [H]ardness Supreme

20. M76

M76 [H]ardForum Junkie

Obscure doesn't necessarily mean unknown imo. Just unrecognized. At least that's how I interpreted it.

dragonstongue likes this.
  21. dgz

dgz [H]ardness Supreme

22. NoOther

Depending on your definition of Obscure, most of them. Not many people have heard of any of those games when I mention them, even at LAN parties, including the times that they were actively sold.

23. dgz

dgz [H]ardness Supreme

Well, I am not familiar with Utopia and Ferion. I guess I could call those obscure. Not sure about the rest. You a nerd :}

ChoGGi likes this.
  24. NoOther

Also recognize I am talking about the original Syndicate, not the remake. I don't think you could find very many people at all that have heard of Dark Reign. And most people confuse Commandos with Company of Heroes or some other game. As for Outpost 2, I was number 1 in the world in that game the entire time it was out. But that isn't hard when the most people online is 100.

EDIT: Btw, for reference more people have played both Utopia and Ferion than any of the other games I listed. In fact, people still play Utopia and Ferion...

25. dgz

dgz [H]ardness Supreme

I loved Dark Reign. Used to play a lot of 1v1 with my friend. We also played Warcraft/2, Everyone knows Commandos, mon. You must be talking to kids

Nasty_Savage and ChoGGi like this.
  26. J3RK

J3RK [H]ardForum Junkie

On this site, (and no offense, because I'm here for the same reason :D ) where we build fancy machines to display beautiful complex imagery, I would say the good obscure games are the modern 2D games.

I talk about them all the time. I chime in about them all the time. Maybe some people are tired of seeing my reference to the post I'm going to link :D However, the best games I've played lately, that I would say are at least a tiny bit obscure to the [H] crowd:

https://hardforum.com/threads/good-2d-pc-game-database.1943046/

GoldenTiger likes this.
  27. MavericK

MavericK Zero Cool

Earthsiege was the more well-known one of that series, I think. Then later on, the same "universe" is what eventually became the Tribes series.

28. J3RK

J3RK [H]ardForum Junkie

Not obscure at all in my circles, but maybe my circles are obscure. :D Archon and Adept are some of the most highly played games among my friends and I. Nice pick! I'd like to add M.U.L.E. as it's another excellent one. Remember when EA published good games? :D

29. Rvenger

Rvenger [H]ard|Gawd

Obscure and Obscure 2 - Pretty crazy games.

30. DrLobotomy

DrLobotomy [H]ardness Supreme

Yes. I do remember.

Here is another EA title I had long ago....

EAContruction.PNG

J3RK likes this.
  31. kamxam

kamxam [H]ard|Gawd

Not sure how popular or obscure they were or are, but i enjoyed:

Great Naval Battles series by SSI. (And would love to see a remake)
    World, Winter, Summer, Etc., Games by EPYX. (Another i'd like to see redone)
    Midwinter (Not sure of the developer atm)
    Populous
    Earth Orbit Station
    Powermonger
    Megafortress

(Have others but these i remember fondly)

32. J3RK

J3RK [H]ardForum Junkie

CnR.gif

Chi no Rondo (Castlevania Rondo of Blood) Japanese only PC Engine CD release was pretty obscure here in the US. It's an excellent game, and bridges the old and new styles of Castlevania. It was one of the first to offer alternate paths (larger scale) which lead you to completely different levels that you might not otherwise see. It's still one of my favorites, right up there with SotN and some of the GBA/DS ones.

GoldenTiger and horrorshow like this.
  33. horrorshow

horrorshow [H]ardness Supreme

Kagero%20-%20Deception%20II.jpg

This game was CRAZY badass!!!!

Basically you just set up traps that form combos to kill the crap out of people....

The third game was just as good, but I played it a lot less cuz I was burned out.

34. J3RK

J3RK [H]ardForum Junkie

veil.png

Veil of Darkess is another good one. Old DOS PC RPG. Really good music too.

35. Reaperkk

Reaperkk [H]ard|Gawd

ChoGGi likes this.
  36. Sherloc09

Sherloc09 Limp Gawd

Vampire the Masquerade Bloodlines.

Bought it within a year of release, and played it for like 24 hours straight on boot up.

ChoGGi and horrorshow like this.
  37. silentsod

silentsod n00b

I have boxed copies of Myth: TFL and Soulblighter. Been a while since I fired them up, wonder if they'll still run in Win10.

Those, FreeSpace 2, the Marathon series, Escape Velocity are all games I'm pretty sure weren't overly popular.

Nasty_Savage, Formula.350 and Krenum like this.
  38. wyqtor

wyqtor Limp Gawd

The Legacy of Kain games: Soul Reaver, Soul Reaver 2, Blood Omen 2, and Legacy of Kain: Defiance. They still are masterpieces of storytelling (well, except maybe for Blood Omen 2 which had different writers).

|Tch0rT|, N4CR and horrorshow like this.
  39. Krenum

Colony Wars series for the Playstation

Also, Mace the Dark Age for N64

& Kings Field

N4CR and horrorshow like this.
  40. J3RK

J3RK [H]ardForum Junkie

Space Station Silicon Valley on the N64 was a good one. I don’t know many that played that one. It was excellent though.

horrorshow likes this.