Oblivion!!! Upgrade from 6600gt to 7900gt?

pooky(1)

n00b
I was wondering if it is worth upgrading from a 6600GT (128mb version) to 7900GT (256MB of course). My 6600GT is fine with all games I currently play, BUT..... judging from my addiction to Morrowind I am sure that I will be playing Oblivion like crazy also!!!!!

Come on guys, what do you say? Would you shell out the money for a 7900GT or would you stay with 6600GT if you were in my possition?

Rest of my PC;

Athlon 3500+ stock
Stock cooler (I do not overclock)
Asus A8NE mobo (Nforce 4 chipset)
1 GB DDR 400(Will go 2 gigs next Monday)
Gainward 6600GT 128MB ram
Creative LIVE 5.1.
Tt Armor Black case
120+80 GB HDDs (PATA)
1 DVD rom drive
1 DVD-RW drive

Thanks in advance!!!!!

Come on buddy, this is an enthusiast forum. Obviously everybody here is going to recomend that you go with the 7900GT.

With that being said, I would have to recomend that you go with the 7900GT :D .

Suposedly ATi X1k Tech is going to work better with this game but In my opinion with Oblivions short arrival just hold on too make sure you make a good choice. Either way though the 7900GT is such a good deal, allthough Iwould go X1800XT but the 7900GT is faster. You cant go wrong with much of anything out now.

OK, but wouldn't you wait for the next 8X00GTX / DX10 generation cards a while longer?

why would he? DX10 cards would most likely run older DX9 games slower, if hes getting the card just to rock on oblivion there is zero reason to wait

pooky(1) said:
OK, but wouldn't you wait for the next 8X00GTX / DX10 generation cards a while longer?
yeah that...but you might be waiting forever

"what if i wait for vista. Oh, them i might as well wait for conroe. Then, i might as well wait for dx10. but now the quad core is only a few months away, i might as well wait." its a never ending cycle

{NG}Fidel said:
Suposedly ATi X1k Tech is going to work better with this game but In my opinion with Oblivions short arrival just hold on too make sure you make a good choice.

Yes! I just found out that X1800 has a new price of about 280 Euros!!!! I know that new gen of ATI cards is supposed to be better with Oblivion. That's another tough choice I have to make!!!
Lol!!!!

will you be able to oc the stock 7900gt too the the pre overclocked levels? What im really asking is is it worth it to get the pre overclocked version over the stock version?

personally i went with the preoverclocked version (fastest model i could find was the xfx xxx edition). i dont like gambling when it comes to overclocking. i would rather shell out another 30 bucks to get a guaranteed high overclock. also the overclocked models seem to be cherry picked cores as well. however, with the 7900gt they seem to reach a barrier at 570mhz~. probably due to not enough voltage going to the core. however the memory overclocks insanely. its rated at 1.4ns which i think its 1300mhz. mine overclocks to 1800mhz easily and still has more room after that as well.

go with the fastest 7900gt you can afford.

fyi: even though the radeon x1k series can do hdr+aa, it seems that the developers for oblivion decided to not allow the cards to do that. something about the method of implementation of hdr.

pooky(1) said:
I was wondering if it is worth upgrading from a 6600GT (128mb version) to 7900GT (256MB of course). My 6600GT is fine with all games I currently play, BUT..... judging from my addiction to Morrowind I am sure that I will be playing Oblivion like crazy also!!!!!

Come on guys, what do you say? Would you shell out the money for a 7900GT or would you stay with 6600GT if you were in my possition?

Rest of my PC;

Athlon 3500+ stock
Stock cooler (I do not overclock)
Asus A8NE mobo (Nforce 4 chipset)
1 GB DDR 400(Will go 2 gigs next Monday)
Gainward 6600GT 128MB ram
Creative LIVE 5.1.
Tt Armor Black case
120+80 GB HDDs (PATA)
1 DVD rom drive
1 DVD-RW drive

Thanks in advance!!!!!

i think a question that should be asked is:
what monitor are you using

Well considering you will be able to up the setting quite a bit, maby even max with the 7900GT I would go for it, but then I just bought 2 :D

Trimlock said:
why would he? DX10 cards would most likely run older DX9 games slower, if hes getting the card just to rock on oblivion there is zero reason to wait

Wait... what? DX10 cards will run DX9 games slower? Um... no. That's like saying modern cards won't run Half-Life 1 as well as a DX6 card.

jcll2002 said:
"what if i wait for vista. Oh, them i might as well wait for conroe. Then, i might as well wait for dx10. but now the quad core is only a few months away, i might as well wait." its a never ending cycle

Sad....

But so true.

PWMK2 said:
Wait... what? DX10 cards will run DX9 games slower? Um... no. That's like saying modern cards won't run Half-Life 1 as well as a DX6 card.

DX10 cards will be emulating dx9 to ply dx9 games so it most likely will be slower

—§urfÅceЗ said:
Sad....

But so true.

Yep waiting never gets you anywhere, if you need something buy it, right now it's pretty much a safe bet as all of todays highend cards should be able to game well for the next year and still be able to game for a couple years probably. (Just look at a 9800pro, it still is a decent card in modern games with details down)

alekstasy said:
DX10 cards will be emulating dx9 to ply dx9 games so it most likely will be slower
im willing to bet that the speed increase from r600 and g80 will counter the emulation of dx9 games under directx 10.

as said, it most likely will be slower, due to emulation

im willing to bet that the speed increase from r600 and g80 will counter the emulation of dx9 games under directx 10.

maybe raw speed increases on the core/mem, but we don't know how the card will be able to emulate unified shaders back to what we have now, and if that will drastically kill performance or not, i'm willing to bet alot of money it won't but i don't think the R600 or G80 will be as fast as the 7800's/X1900's are in current D3D games

Microsofts current trend in regard to backwards compatibility isn't exactly stellar. The all-mighty 360 can't even play the previous generation of games in it's entirety.

Emulation just makes me shudder. They are rebuilding directx from the ground up so I really don't see 100% compatibility with dx9, and just think about the performance hit for the 'software level' of support that does exist.

Now throw hdcp into the fray...

Dark days ahead.

The industry won't stand for that and neither will the consumers. I'd bet more money on DX10 completely sucking until a couple years go by and DX11 gets released. Reason being no one will want to abandon current support. Why woud 99% of game publishers allow a development house to make a game that will alienate the vast majority of buyers?

Answer: they won't.

So either DX10 has to get watered down to maintain compatibility with existing hardware, OR the hardware has to get watered down to maintain DX9 and DX10 compatibility, or the whole situation will be royally screwed up for quite a while until everyone gets forced to upgrade due to age of hardware.

And for the record, I am 100% for unified programmable GPUs. It's just that it should have been done years ago and now the industry is going to pay big to make the transition happen.

Anyway, for now, I've got SLI 7900gt cards on the way. XFX 520/1500 variety. Can't wait to get them in.

Are you on a tight buget?

If you are, I would stay with the 6600GT or maybe look at the 6800GS or 7600GT.

If not, then go with the 7900GT.

SatinSpiral said:
i think a question that should be asked is:
what monitor are you using

I will be using a flat AOC 19 inch CRT monitor that goes up to 1600 X 1200 75HZ with no problem. Due to the nature of the game I will not be using my trusty LG 1730S display, that really sucks with Morrowind. (Black is not black!!!). Just as I said, when Oblivion comes out all other games will be put on hold for God knows how long!!!!

I just ordered a whole new computer to play oblivion :D X1900 and all.

I would say that you should wait until the game comes out. Right now, the theories are that the 1800 will trounce the 7900 in oblivion, but of course these are just rumors. If theyre right though, youd feel pretty bad having jumped the gun.

Depending on budget, I would get a XFX 7600 Extreme and then put the rest of your funds into another gig of ram.

Back