Oblivion running @ 1920x1200, thoughts?

I tried it on 1600x1200, but 1280x1024 4x TAA, AAA, 4x HQAF looks so much better, especially with Qarl's texture replacer.

Oblivion is only a performance hog if you turn on grass shadows, tree canopy shadows, and high-quality shadow filtering. Keep the shadows simple outdoors, and you can probably run quite smoothly.

Also, anistropic filtering kills performance in Oblivion, you might want to crank it down to 2x or 4x. With all that grass, you won't notice the difference.

i am running oblivion at 2048x1536, bloom, distant everything, everything else maxed, i havent seen it go below 30 fps yet. there is a decent guide for tweaking the init file over a game.faqs, in one of the walk-thrus, i picked up around 5 fps.

hdr on runs ok too, but i dont like the way the detail looks with that enabled

HDR blows bloom away easily. Otherwise it's a next gen game vrs. a game with some nice textures. Just the glow off people's faces alone, it's impossible not to notice. Best looking game so far versus so fucking what.

I run at 1680x1050, however I turn HDR, high shadow quality, self and grass shadows off. Depending on where im at, outdoors will chug around 20fps, while during heavy fights, it will drop around 10fps. Indoors and towns range in upper 30's.

Unplayable for a FPS, but for this game, I deam it acceptable, given all the eye candy the game has.

Here's the settings I run at with Dual 7900GTX's on a Dell 2405FPW (System in sig):
obliv_settiings.jpg

Doing a 5 min long FRAPS benchmark outside gives the following results:

Min: 31
Max: 368
Avg: 68.913

This benchmark represents normal games play including: Using spells, battle, riding a horse, using the inventory screen to drop an item, etc.

With "Shadow Filtering" set to low, I get even better FPS but eh, this plenty fast :)

1920x1200 here w/ HDR and everything turned up usergrid at 9 self shadows low and grass shadows off. I have a X2-3800+ at 2.8 and SLI'd 7900gt's (600/1700).
outdoors avg: 30
indoors avg: 100
i just tried the 91.28 drivers and they seem smother, choppiness is gone..but i have to do more test...

Xeero said:
FPS: dear god.... lets just say, it hurts to see my SLI 7800GT to go from V12 status to inline 4.

Surely you saw this coming. Last I read, Oblivion is processing shading on each pixel on the screen. I play at 1024x768, which is 786,432 pixels, 1920x1200 is 2,304,000. You're asking for alot there. I also play with 4xAA and full settings (except some shadow settings), and I get low 20s with occasional stuttering (on a X850XT), which I find acceptable (or I would scale it down).

Throwing $600 into the burner won't automatically give you enough steam to push through anything.

Xeero said:
:( , if the rumors of nvidia and ati not releasing faster cards until Windows Vista are true, does that mean i'm stuck w/ crappy frame rates? even if i do upgrade to the fastest cards possible?

Has the concept of comprimise crossed your mind at all? You're not stuck with crappy FPS, you're choosing it. Adjust your expectations.

i played this at 1920x1200 / no AA or AF / HDR enabled / and tweaked settings like reducing the grass a bit...i dont need to see that much grass geez! (google tweak guides for oblivion) and getting 40-45FPS outside and 60+ inside. i play this with 3007WFP and when i go 2650x1600 FPS goes down by only 5-10 FPS outside. i play this with 1920x1200 mostly now since no matter what i do, i really barely see the difference between the higher resolution and this. this monitor is freaking awesome when it comes to downscaling!

&ru said:
i played this at 1920x1200 / no AA or AF / HDR enabled / and tweaked settings like reducing the grass a bit...i dont need to see that much grass geez! (google tweak guides for oblivion) and getting 40-45FPS outside and 60+ inside. i play this with 3007WFP and when i go 2650x1600 FPS goes down by only 5-10 FPS outside. i play this with 1920x1200 mostly now since no matter what i do, i really barely see the difference between the higher resolution and this. this monitor is freaking awesome when it comes to downscaling!

Yep Oblivion runs like a champ on my computer now, I play it only at 1280x960 with HDR and 16xAF, but all settings are maxed, and it doesn't go below 25FPS even in the most dense forrested area, BTW is self shadowing fixed on ATI cards now?

Oh, I tried it at 19x14 but to get a smooth game at that setting I have to turn off grass, and I quite like my grass and must have f'ed up eyes cause I can't tell the difference anyways in IQ.

Blame Bethesda, don't play Nvidia or ATI. Call of Duty 2 looks better than Oblivion, yet it runs much better.

Bethesda just needs to optimize it.

Well I've been playing with it a bit and have had similar results. The shadows mentioned above to tend to lower the fps a bit. But I'm happy with everythign cranked and HDR off. As for AA and iso I just dont see the point for them at such high resolutions. And I agree whenever it comes to a poor performing game I always blame the software company and I'm usually right in doing so. But one thing I can say for Bethesda is oblivion is a whole hell of a lot more efficient than Morrowind. And at least Bethesda has been kind enough to continuely provide us with a config file for tweaking the settings, something not a lot of game companies do. As for beign obsessed with high resolution. I wouldn't call it an obsession it's just a preference. I have very good vision and see very fine details and even though I can see the dots at 1920x1200 its much smoother and easier to ignore than 1280x960 or whatever.

H-street said:
X1900XTX
4400+ X2 @ 2.5Ghz
2Gb Rame
playing @ 1920X1080 with everything on .. i get ~30FPS outside and 40-60inside (vsync is enabled)

I have almost the same situation here except I have a X1900XT clocked at 665/797 and I have 4gb of ram (hence my 4400+ is clocked at its default 2.2ghz)

I get about the same FPS, very playable, I tweaked some of the grass distance so I rarely ever see it in the low 20s FPS.

Before anyone blames Bethesda some more for Oblivion's poor performance, you guys know that the majority of the engine wasn't even developed by them? The game uses the Gamebryo engine so if you want to blame someone, blame NDL/Emergent for not making a better engine.

I have a 2405FPW and a Dell E1705 laptop hooked to it. Needless to say, I can't really play Oblivion unless I go down to lower than 800x600 (forget what rez that is 700-something), and have all details turned OFF/LOW.

I am thinking to buy myself a desktop, even though I bought the E1705 as desktop replacement. Which single GFX card should I get that will run this semi decent? SLI is out of my budget range. Looks like 7800 or 1800 is the way to go I assume?

Thanks for any suggestions you may be able to provide.

I would of course like to run the game at 1900x1280, but I wouldn't mind a lower rez if it still looks ok on the 2405 screen.

Xeero said:
as the thread title states, i'm wondering if anyone runs Oblivion at 1920x1200.

just a thought.... since your cards are built for AA and AF, why not just turn those on and lower your resolution down to something acceptable... maybe 1650x1080? I mean, wow... talk about overkill... I play this game at 1280x720 and its incredible.

Maybe this is one of those times where you should be happy with what you have, and next time you go throwing money at stores when your card is going to be obsolite in 4 months, just save it, or better yet, send it to me

RooK said:
just a thought.... since your cards are built for AA and AF, why not just turn those on and lower your resolution down to something acceptable... maybe 1650x1080?
Perhaps because some of us have native 1920x1200 displays?

Ok Ihave an XPS Laptop with a 7600GTX in it and i can run pretty much everything max with great framrate. So i dont know what you guys are talking about.

Ah you n00bs and your large LCD's :D

Im still sticking with my CRT, 1600 1200 gaming in oblivion, HDR on with almost all of the setting max with just a few shadow settings turned to low.

This whole native resolution business with LCD's is irritating me, the fact that you can't actually find decent CRT's for sale anymore irritates me further.

I hope my Iiyama VMP 454 lives a long life, if it dies on me now i'll be screwed :(

Back