Oblivion quest glitch. REALLY hoping someone has some advice.

zamardii12

2[H]4U
Hey everyone, so I am playing Oblivion (which I never finished) and I am stuck. If you don't want to read the specifics on the quest just skip to the bold paragraph. Hopefully you all can help me out on what I can do to progress this quest line because I worked WAY too hard for this to be glitched out now.

So, I contracted Porphyric Hemophilia (Vampirism) and apparently I had it for 3 days without knowing it and now am stuck as a vampire. I absolutely hate being a vampire, and so the steps to curing Vampirism are the following:

Wiki on the quest: http://elderscrolls.wikia.com/wiki/Vampire_Cure_(Oblivion)
  • Talk to Raminus Polus at the Arcane University who refers me to Count Hassildor of Skingrad
  • The Count's steward Hal-Liurz gets Count Hassildor and tells me he and his wife are also vampires. He tells me he could live with it but his wife couldn't so she fell into a coma. Hassildor wants the cure and tells me of a witch near the Corbolo river.
  • So I go and meet the witch called Melisande and she said she requires 5 empty grand soul gems. (These are already hard to find and very expensive)
  • After you give her the gems she gives you a list of things she needs to make the cure (6 cloves of garlic, 5 nightshade leaves, two bloodgrass shoots, Blood of an Argonian, and the dust of a powerful vampire (Hindaril)
After she creates the potion, she gives you two. One is a consumable (for yourself) and the other is a miscellaneous item version for the Count's wife.

Now, here is where my quest is fucked up; when I go back to the count's castle and try to talk to his steward she asks me if I have the potion and the only response I can give her is that I don't have it. In the wiki I linked above it says " She (Melisande) will give the Hero both a consumable version, and a miscellaneous item version for Rona; however, drinking the potion early may bug the quest."

That's where I am at. As soon as I got the cure in my inventory I drank it, because why wouldn't I? Being a vampire sucks. It sucks you can't talk to anybody, you can only travel at night otherwise the sun kills you, and none of the merchants are open during the night and they don't want to talk to me anyway! It fucking sucks being a vampire in Oblivion. Anyway, I drank the potion right after I got it thinking the quest item one could just be handed over but I think i'm stuck.

So any of you have any suggestions on what I can do about this? There is another questline that this fucks up too I think which is getting the leaders to join and help the Blades, but none of them will while they have Oblivion gates outside their kingdoms. I closed the one near the Count's castle at Skingrad, but because he won't come down for the cure and is locked behind a "Very Hard" door lock I can't continue that quest line either.

Last edited:
You could use a console command to add the potion back into your inventory and give yourself the vampirism aura as well.

Yeah, the console is going to be your only way to fix this. If all else fails then you can presumably use the console to "cure" yourself of vampirism entirely.

This brings back memories. I had the same thing happen many, many moons ago. Use the console.

This brings back memories. I had the same thing happen many, many moons ago. Use the console.
You could use a console command to add the potion back into your inventory and give yourself the vampirism aura as well.
Yeah, the console is going to be your only way to fix this. If all else fails then you can presumably use the console to "cure" yourself of vampirism entirely.

So I used the console to cure my vampirism, but I still can't complete the request. It won't let me give the other cure I have in my items list to the Count. When I talk to the steward and she asks me if I have the cure for the Count, the only response I can give is I don't have it even though I have it in my inventory. If I knew where the Count was in the castle I could maybe use a noclip command (if there is one)?

You can use the console to either transport yourself to the Count directly, or bring him to you instead. You can also use the console to mark the quest as complete.

I would use UESP instead of the Wikia page. They give a lot more information on potential bugs and how to fix them embedded in the quest pages.

In fact, the quest page states this bug is fixed by the UOP. Are you not using the UOP? Even if you want the vanilla experience you should still be running with the unofficial patches.
http://en.uesp.net/wiki/Oblivion:Vampire_Cure

I would use UESP instead of the Wikia page. They give a lot more information on potential bugs and how to fix them embedded in the quest pages.

In fact, the quest page states this bug is fixed by the UOP. Are you not using the UOP? Even if you want the vanilla experience you should still be running with the unofficial patches.

UESP is really the best source for quest and general information for the TES games. UESP will have all the console commands and quest step codes needed to advance the quest to completion.

The unofficial patches are the absolute bare minimum mods that should be installed for all Elder Scrolls games, even I player wants a vanilla experience, they fix so much stuff.

UESP is really the best source for quest and general information for the TES games. UESP will have all the console commands and quest step codes needed to advance the quest to completion.

The unofficial patches are the absolute bare minimum mods that should be installed for all Elder Scrolls games, even I player wants a vanilla experience, they fix so much stuff.

I have definitely been using that website. I installed the unofficial patch once I ran into that glitch hoping it would fix it but it doesn't. I also did try the commands to advance the quest steps but I couldn't get it working last night. I became so frustrated the last couple days trying to complete this one quest that I just went and did some other things instead. I will go back and try it again. I will also use the command screen to become a vampire again. The wiki mentioned that the quest could become bugged if I drink the cure before I give the Count his so I will try that too and will report back if anything works.

Really appreciate the help. I really want to complete the game this time and don't want this one thing fucking up the rest of the game.

I have definitely been using that website. I installed the unofficial patch once I ran into that glitch hoping it would fix it but it doesn't. I also did try the commands to advance the quest steps but I couldn't get it working last night. I became so frustrated the last couple days trying to complete this one quest that I just went and did some other things instead. I will go back and try it again. I will also use the command screen to become a vampire again. The wiki mentioned that the quest could become bugged if I drink the cure before I give the Count his so I will try that too and will report back if anything works.

Really appreciate the help. I really want to complete the game this time and don't want this one thing fucking up the rest of the game.
Do you have an earlier save you can work with? Because of how bug-ridden Bethesda games usually are I'll keep at least 50 saves, more when I'm progressing through a quest.

Do you have an earlier save you can work with? Because of how bug-ridden Bethesda games usually are I'll keep at least 50 saves, more when I'm progressing through a quest.

Unfortunately not. I suppose it was wrong of me to assume that an 11 year old game between all the official patches and unofficial ones that it shouldn't be a big deal. I did have a massive amount of saves when I played Fallout 4, but with Oblivion I just jumped right in and played. So hopefully I can fix it and if not i'll get as far as I can. I finished up the Knights of the Nine DLC last night so I am still able to do stuff, but I am afraid this might mess up the main quest line where I have to get the leaders of the cities to help with the cause of Martin by closing the Oblivion gates and I closed the one outside of Skingrad and can't further that either because i'm supposed to tell the count who won't come out.

I still love a bit of Oblivion from time to time. Can't believe it's over 10 years old now!

I still love a bit of Oblivion from time to time. Can't believe it's over 10 years old now!
It just turned 11 last month :eek:. Skyrim will be 6 in November. That makes us overdue for a new main entry TES game.

It just turned 11 last month :eek:. Skyrim will be 6 in November. That makes us overdue for a new main entry TES game.

It came out already, what two years ago? Elder Scrolls Online, it has all the provinces. I can't believe you haven't heard of it.

I installed the unofficial patch once I ran into that glitch hoping it would fix it but it doesn't.

The the unofficial patch will not fix a glitch, after it has occurred.

A prior save is probably your only choice.

When this happened to me in Skyrim I just used a console command to either reset the quest to stage 0 or 10, or I just completed the quest depending on the reward and if I needed them to give me a followup quest.

"Main entry" being the keywords in my post...

Maybe this E3? They kind of dropped Fallout 4 on us if I remember right. Hopefully they'll do it again but with an Elder Scrolls game.

And yes, I don't count ESO either. It wasn't even created by the same team.

There won't be anymore SP ES games. They said that like, 8? months ago. All Elder Scrolls content is coming through ESO from now on.

Back