Oblivion Patch is out - Xbox 360 & PC

dj_2004

Supreme [H]ardness
Just a heads-up for everyone as Bethesda tends to just throw these things out without much notice. Link - Here.
One of the main changes is the new LOD textures and popup effect. Now the LOD doesn't suddenly dissappear; instead, it slowly fades into actual close up textures. It is hard to explain but once you play the game a bit you will understand. I've taken some pictures to give examples. We also now have a splash effect when jumping in/out of water (items also use it when thrown in/taken out of the water). CTD when exiting the game has been fixed (finally).

And another good example that was provided by a member at TES forum: http://oblivion.brashendeavors.net/pix/pepperLOD.jpg

I did notice my texture memory jump up about 100-200MB, I am using QTP3 though so it may be less with vanilla textures.

So now you don't need anything viewable within distance?

Priase jebus!

Well, forts and bridges from way out there still don't display, but they also don't just pop into view. Has a nice transition effect. Be warned: some mods are not compatible. I'm currently testing all mine as a few give me CTDs. OOO and MMM seem to work fine though.

Man... maybe we should make a list of what works. I don't want to screw up my game. It works with Qarl's for sure though correct?

Man... maybe we should make a list of what works. I don't want to screw up my game. It works with Qarl's for sure though correct?

Yep. I just tested my mods (about 65) and I had to only disable 1 or 2. OBSE mods will not work, the authors of OBSE are currently working on it and it should be updated (with more features) on Tuesday. Here are my active mods, I still have about 4 more to activate and test. Many I did not use before the patch so I have not tested those.

Well it seems to have boosted performance and fps stability in the 360 version.

Well it seems to have boosted performance and fps stability in the 360 version.

Likewise in the PC version, at least in many systems. Heard loading times are much faster as well. Seems to play smoother imo. No more constant stuttering.

To OP: thanks for the heads up.

The new LOD is a HUGE visual improvement. A high-res LOD mod isn't a requirement anymore. :eek:

To OP: thanks for the heads up.

The new LOD is a HUGE visual improvement. A high-res LOD mod isn't a requirement anymore. :eek:

Plus, Bethesda used a new shader for the LOD so we should get some modded ones that use the transition effect. Still, I think the one included in the patch is great.

I think all my prepatch mods are woking now, just not the OBSE mods. :) Well, except NE Habitat as it seems to not be registering the meshes (or at least I think so).

Does that mean I have to uncheck "Ignore normal maps" in OBMM?

Shouldn't.

Okay, seems some Unique Landscape meshes are also not working. This is most likely from file dates so I think this is easily fixable using OBMM.

Also, here is a distance view picture:

Shouldn't.

Okay, seems some Unique Landscape meshes are also not working. This is most likely from file dates so I think this is easily fixable using OBMM.

Also, here is a distance view picture:

hey i was wondering, do you know if theres a mod that fixes the grass tiling. I don't run qarls pack because its too tough on my system, but if there was a mod that fixed the mid range tiling, thats all i really need now that the patch made the lods better for me.

thanks for the heads up. hopefully the unofficial patch will be out soon as well. :)

Another LOD mod has arrived (the other came out about two hours after the patch release). I took a before and after picture:
Before

After

Download Link - Link

Expect a "less rushed version" sometime tomorrow, at least according to the author. :)

Someone please post a the regular LOD that is in the game please. Patched and unpatched.

Another LOD mod has arrived (the other came out about two hours after the patch release). I took a before and after picture:
Before

After

Download Link - Link

Expect a "less rushed version" sometime tomorrow, at least according to the author. :)

The Before picture looks better.

No, I meant the original game textures with nothing more like mods or anything. Just the Vanilla game patched V1.2.

That is vanilla 1.2. It really does look that good. Here's a picture of mine with no mods at all (patched to 1.2):

The Before picture looks better.

I think it's a bit more realistic than having black dots all along the beaches, but you do lose a bit of detail. Think he just came out with a 1024x1024 version (instead of 512x).

CptFalcon, the link I provided IS vanilla textures.

I think it's a bit more realistic than having black dots all along the beaches, but you do lose a bit of detail. Think he just came out with a 1024x1024 version (instead of 512x).

CptFalcon, the link I provided IS vanilla textures.

Oh Shit! :eek:

I stand corrected then. My humble apologies.

Couple of helpful links to mod users:
If you use MMM without OOO then you will need this as there was a problem with MMM's guards and the 1.2 patch - MMM Patch

Thread with a list of broken mods - Broken Mods

Hey I am sorry that this is just a little off topic but I am just starting to get into the PC gaming arena and am thinking about picking up the PC version of Oblivion and just shelving my 360 version. I have no ideas about mods because I am a total noob. I haven't finished my 360 version because it takes so freaking long to load and the graphics are not that great stretched to 1920 x 1080. My new rig is nice and my 8800 gts could run it full boar. So any suggestions on if I should just pick it up on PC or just stick with my 360 version.

I just want to be doubly sure before I install this patch: does OOO work flawlessly with this new patch?

I didn't see it on the list of broken mods, but I didn't see it explicitly stated that it does work. Can anyone confirm?

Hey I am sorry that this is just a little off topic but I am just starting to get into the PC gaming arena and am thinking about picking up the PC version of Oblivion and just shelving my 360 version. I have no ideas about mods because I am a total noob. I haven't finished my 360 version because it takes so freaking long to load and the graphics are not that great stretched to 1920 x 1080. My new rig is nice and my 8800 gts could run it full boar. So any suggestions on if I should just pick it up on PC or just stick with my 360 version.

Buy the PC version. I really don't see how 360 users can play this game longer than 50 hours without getting extremely bored. Check out this thread for a list of some mods - Link. And here is a guide on how to install mods - Link.

quadnad, OOO seems to be working fine for me but alas, I cannot confirm it. Haven't seen any complaints of it not working. The patch did not change much at all (no BSA files). Take a look at this thread - Link to get an idea of what was changed.

quadnad, OOO seems to be working fine for me but alas, I cannot confirm it. Haven't seen any complaints of it not working. The patch did not change much at all (no BSA files). Take a look at this thread - Link to get an idea of what was changed.

Thanks so much!

Buy the PC version. I really don't see how 360 users can play this game longer than 50 hours without getting extremely bored. Check out this thread for a list of some mods - Link. And here is a guide on how to install mods - Link.

Well thanks to you I just got home with the PC version :D! LOL! I had to sell my wife on letting me get it since she put a ban on me and new games for a while. Read her all the stuff that you linked and she was like cool. Man was blown away by all of the things that can be moded. I thought that I was the only person in the world that thought the horses eyes sucked! So i will be back after installing and then running some mods on it. I played enough on the 360 to have more than a basic feel. I was about 50hrs into it. But I haven't beat it yet because it got boring with the loading times and the 720p to 1080p stretch. My son will love when I buy another 360 and this is his first game for it, he loves to watch me play it.

Well thanks to you I just got home with the PC version :D! LOL! I had to sell my wife on letting me get it since she put a ban on me and new games for a while. Read her all the stuff that you linked and she was like cool. Man was blown away by all of the things that can be moded. I thought that I was the only person in the world that thought the horses eyes sucked! So i will be back after installing and then running some mods on it. I played enough on the 360 to have more than a basic feel. I was about 50hrs into it. But I haven't beat it yet because it got boring with the loading times and the 720p to 1080p stretch. My son will love when I buy another 360 and this is his first game for it, he loves to watch me play it.

Oblivion will play and look like a totally different game. Be sure to frequent the official Oblivion mod forum for more mods, think there are around 10,000 out now. :) Since you already played vanilla Oblivion for quite some time, I suggest giving major mods such as OOO and Frans a try. They both require a new game to be made though if you want the full experience (which I strongly suggest). Also check out MMM which can be used with both OOO and Frans.

OOO - Link
Frans - Link
MMM - Link

If you need any help or have questions just PM me.

Oblivion will play and look like a totally different game. Be sure to frequent the official Oblivion mod forum for more mods, think there are around 10,000 out now. :) Since you already played vanilla Oblivion for quite some time, I suggest giving major mods such as OOO and Frans a try. They both require a new game to be made though if you want the full experience (which I strongly suggest). Also check out MMM which can be used with both OOO and Frans.

OOO - Link
Frans - Link
MMM - Link

If you need any help or have questions just PM me.

OMFG I just sat down for the past 3 hours downloading patches, I just downloaded and installed my first two. One was a male texture patch which I haven't been able to really tell the difference yet cause i am tired but the second one added a bank to the imperal city. Wow I have been missing out big time! This is to sweet. Thanks for the info! :D

OMFG I just sat down for the past 3 hours downloading patches, I just downloaded and installed my first two. One was a male texture patch which I haven't been able to really tell the difference yet cause i am tired but the second one added a bank to the imperal city. Wow I have been missing out big time! This is to sweet. Thanks for the info! :D

welcome to the dark side.

There are so many mods for Oblivion, and eventually you'll end up breaking something lol, but man, it's fun.

BTMod is a must, whether you've beat oblivion or not.

The Legacy is a good quest mod.

A new decapitation mod came out a few days ago. It's a riot in the arena. When your blade skill is high enough, there's a chance once your opponent hits 50 percent that you'll crit them. What happens is time slows down as your heart starts to race, and if you land a hit in the next second at the neck or torso, you'll either lop off their head or cut them in half heh. Also adds some new combat moves too.

and there's a beta version of OBSE that now works with 1.2.

Back