Oblivion, Oscuro's Oblivion Overhaul

WhiteGuardian

Limp Gawd
K so my bro decided to install OOO on oblivion. Should I play through the vanilla version first? Because I just started a new game with this mod (since older games are complicated to load), and DAM it felt so much harder. I got owned in the arena pretty fast, while on the regular Oblivion, I got up to gladiator really easily.

It will be somewhat difficult in the beginning since you have no good items and you're weak. After about level ten, things become easier. I say stick with it. You can always lower the difficulty bar if needed.

I played it a couple of times without OOO but got bored really fast with OOO and I gave it a good trial.
I'm not sure I can recommend it.
It has some great ideas but its like introducing a massive hill to climb.
The hill needs to be less steep.

well, is there anyway I could install it wihtout losing my saved game BEFORE I installed OOO? Because it seriously is REALLY hard right now. I get owned in every dungeon I go into..lol.

k so I turned down the difficulty thing, and now I'm able to go into some dungeons and the arena without getting owned. I guess I'll keep playing a little bit. But afraid that messign with difficulty would screw up the game.

k so I turned down the difficulty thing, and now I'm able to go into some dungeons and the arena without getting owned. I guess I'll keep playing a little bit. But afraid that messign with difficulty would screw up the game.

Touching the difficulty slider will do no damage to the game or affect anything other than difficulty, which can be turned back at any time by moving the slider.

With OOO, the game isn't going to hold your hand.

The newer versions of OOO are not as difficult in the beginner areas. Even so, I always got more enjoyment out of OOO by installing the "Light" version.

OOO is the way to go. I beat vanilla Oblivion over a year ago and it's way funner this time playing with OOO. It's harder but it feels way better like how it should have been, use the slider if you need help. Other mods too help contribute ALOT to the experience.

My favorites: Qarl's Texture Pack3, MMM (more monsters), Enhanced Weather or All Natural Weather AND Storms and Sounds (awesome), Bobs Armory and Sympony of Violence. For changing NPC's appearances I'm trying Beautiful People and Facial Textures.

I'm curious what mods people love and think are must haves.

I put an embarrassing number of hours into Oblivion, and I've tried every major mod. The most fun I had with the game was vanilla with an interface mod(bt)...lol go figure.

I put an embarrassing number of hours into Oblivion, and I've tried every major mod. The most fun I had with the game was vanilla with an interface mod(bt)...lol go figure.

Yeah, same here. I guess the feel is that the mods take too many shortcuts. Like "ooooh, here is a troll that's resized 50% larger and made PURPLE...must be a cave troll!!" or something.

As simplified as the original was - for having every monster of a type be identical, just adding a dozen new monsters by throwing different stats on a slight rescaling with a slight color change does NOT improve the game.

OOO made several characters act so bizarrely that I couldn't complete quests. Example: Baurus is supposed to lead you into the Sunken Sewers for a meeting. Every time I tried to interact with him, he'd just repeat the same phrase and then turn away. I deactivated OOO and he behaved normally. This kind of glitch occurred with several characters. I'm sure there's some patch or fix out there, but I'd rather just spend my time enjoying the game.

Mods I play with along side OOO:

Sudden Violence (I only use the "Sprint" function, as well as the additional spell effects. I change the stock settings for what I think is balanced. Changing values settings are in the readme)

Deadly Reflex : A must have mod IMO.

Martigen Monster Mod:

Enhanced Daedric Invasion: Chaos :)

encumberance 10x and 25x: Port to a dungeon... load up on loot....return to town...sell....repeat. Screw that.

Expanded Hotkeys and Spell Delete

Bananasplit Better Cities

Supreme Magicka

And many more I can't think of (Weather Mods, Lighting Mods, Texture Mods, Quests, etc). It's been awhile since I played.

Other usefull sites

http://www.oblivionsrealestate.com/
http://devnull.devakm.googlepages.com/quests

Hear hear!
Other than the interface mod and some texture / graphics mods, I like the game the way it is. Could NOT get into OOO or others like it.

OOO is pretty awesome, imo. Yes, the world is pretty challenging when you start out... but you're an underfed weakling just emerging from the prison for the first time in who-knows how long with hardly any knowledge of the world. Bandits should be hard at first! If all you're wearing are your wrist irons and a rusty iron sword, you should get your ass handed to you by that bandit with an enchanted flaming sword. Then as you get stronger the random wilderness gets considerably easier, and the only real challenges are quests and deep dungeons, but I like that.

Yeah, same here. I guess the feel is that the mods take too many shortcuts. Like "ooooh, here is a troll that's resized 50% larger and made PURPLE...must be a cave troll!!" or something.

Adding entirely new creatures is actually quite complicated. Retextures are by far the easiest thing to do because you only need photoshop and the original dds. Creatures can be resized in the construction set, so also easy. However creating new models and texturing them are quite a bit harder obviously, but the real problem with oblivion is animating. Creating new skeletons and animating them is pretty tricky, especially with proprietary havok data and whatnot. The vast majority of 'new' monsters in MMM or Walx use skeletons from pre-existing creatures. It's not laziness, it's just really difficult. If Bethesda actually lived up to their promises and made modding easy it would be a different story. Instead we're stuck with a broken construction set and a 'black box' engine that can't be easily modified.

OOO is almost too difficult
l2p, nub!

Unfortunately, there are some tactics that make Oblivion pathetically easy even with full difficulty, it kind of ruins the experience. For example: alchemy. As long as you take it as a "minor skill" you can be a alchemy master at level 1: you'll be rich and you'll be able to 'cast' Master-quality spell effects in Restoration, Alteration, and some illusion and destruction. This gives you the following abilities:
1) triple damage poisons do 15+ damage per second for quite a while (hundreds of damage total). Most creatures won't survive a single dose, but if you need to, the effect will stack!
2) invisibility. backstab with poison, drink invisibility pot, backstab with poison, drink invisibility pot, etc etc.
3) reflect damage potions. Drink three of these and you'll be impervious to melee damage.
4) chameleon potions. Drink enough of these and you'll be completely invisible and enemies won't hit you at all
4) over 20 health points restored per second, if you need it.

Alchemy alone makes the game too easy even with OOO. You'll be essentially invincible as long as you stay low-level. Combine that with the fact that you can quicksave at will, there's really no excuse for death except for maybe stepping on a trap.

I like the added difficulty from OOO. It actually makes some of the battles a challenge. You can't just run into all battles sword a-blazin' and live.

Back