Oblivion - is a warrior boring?

CoPilotJim

Weaksauce
Hey Ya'll

I am playing oblivion right now and I can't decide on whether or not I want to do the thief style character - Blade/block/marksman/security/sneak/etc or a warrior. I think the thief would be fun outside of combat, but i definitely like to pwn when I do fight. At the same time a warrior is awesome at combat, but doesn't it get tedious to just do combat? Would I still be able to have some fun outside of it with a warrior?

Thanks

cool thing about oblivion is you can do everything - just work on the skills you want at the time. only thing ive hand any issue with is getting enough magic power for the super high level spells as a fighter/thief/mage/etc but if want to sneak i just put on my light armor, if i want to bust some a$$ i put on my heavy

Hmm my character worked out extremely well though I lost interest in the game quickly because im more into the morrowind type of game in the series than oblivion but anyway

Blade, Block, Ligh Armor, Destruction, Conjuration, Illusion, Sneak

Dont get security its completely worthless after level 10.

Use a Brenton for the high intel and good racials, also pick the thief as your sign, and luck and end as ur attributes. Stealth specialization, magic is cake to raise.

I played as a battlemage. Has the best of both worlds. I finished the entire game with a little over 300 hrs invested.:)

I'm playing mostly as a theif/warrior type of character. I might play again as more of a mage or battlemage cuz i'm not using magic very much except for Restoration and feel like i'm missing out on some things. I kinda wish you had 10 major skills like Morrowind had.

I played a straight up warrior with resto magic mixed in to heal myself. Once you get a few levels under you even with generic gear (I never enchanted anything) you'll pretty much be invincible unless you do something stupid.

Hmm. Sounds like my experience of Oblivion right there - came out of the sewers right at the start with my leather shield, steel shortsword and thief birthsign, and the first person I attacked was some tooled-up Imperial guard (I didn't realise). Sure, I beat him, but from then on I couldn't go half a mile or into any building without attracting a posse of three more imperial guards chasing me across the planet.

uB3rn00b3r said:
Hmm my character worked out extremely well though I lost interest in the game quickly because im more into the morrowind type of game in the series than oblivion but anyway

Blade, Block, Ligh Armor, Destruction, Conjuration, Illusion, Sneak

Dont get security its completely worthless after level 10.

Use a Brenton for the high intel and good racials, also pick the thief as your sign, and luck and end as ur attributes. Stealth specialization, magic is cake to raise.

I have not played either game.........what is the difference between a "Morrowind" type game and an "Oblivion" type game?

I played my second time through as a warrior, but I used light armor and focused more heavily on speed and agility rather than endurance and block. You can basically do whatever you want in the game though.

merlin704 said:
I played as a battlemage. Has the best of both worlds. I finished the entire game with a little over 300 hrs invested.:)

300hrs? Wow. I'm running out of stuff to do with 100hrs in. Ive got all the guilds, arena, mainquest, and every side quest from the people in the towns. I got all the achiements at 75hrs. Ive got probably 10 deadric god dungeons to do though. Lately Ive been scouring the map for anything to do. I cant see 200 more hours of content though. Not even the claimed 200.

My character is a warrior and he can sneak just fine in full armor and I've enchanted all of his heavy armor with fortify intelligence so he can cast the better spells. I say go with the warrior class, you can always enchant objects to strengthen other traits.

Boring? No way! Easy? Hellz yeah.
I used something like this
Blade
Block
Heavy armor
Destruction (Frozen touch is a badass spell)
Restoration
Sneak
Cant remember

For starters I killed a guard at level one on default difficulty. :-P. When I was level 40, I could clear out a whole town without going below 90%, and that's without using any skills.. just regular attack/block. Warriors are pretty fun, but they definetly have an "I win" button

My mage was fun, and it was alot harder, but end-game she was more wtfpwnage then my warrior.

I'm playing as a thief/assasin. It rules. The battles, if there are any, are at your time and under your conditions. I can take out a strong enemy in 3 or 4 hits, tops, without a magic bow. Or, I can sneak right in front of an enemy without him even knowing.

Playing as a thief is much more of a thinker's game than playing as a warrior. Finding the perfect shot is amazingly fun. Or just avoiding enemies. It's like playing Splinter Cell with no rules or bounderies.

i dont really like oblivions char setup. i dont think you should ever be able to make a mage thats as good at melee with a sword and shield as a warrior in skills the only thing that dertimes how good youll be at magic is your race. so basicly if your a breton youll be awsome in magic and melee at the late part of the game. because no matter what you can get all the skills to 100 making it a very cookie cutter situation no matter how you start out.

Wildace said:
i dont really like oblivions char setup. i dont think you should ever be able to make a mage thats as good at melee with a sword and shield as a warrior in skills the only thing that dertimes how good youll be at magic is your race. so basicly if your a breton youll be awsome in magic and melee at the late part of the game. because no matter what you can get all the skills to 100 making it a very cookie cutter situation no matter how you start out.

Agreed, that's the downside to the skill setup in Oblivion.

Maybe having it so if you make your character a certain class, other skills cannot be raised beyond a certain level? Or you can't use certain items (a la Daggerfall)?

Back