Oblivion GOTY + Steam = no-go?

whitewarrior11

Limp Gawd
Hello guys,

I am experiencing a problem with the GOTY edition of Oblivion. Every time I try to start it with Steam, I get past the first screen the begin my game in the prison cell and boom! the game crashes.

It also crashed for a time during the Bethesda logo at start but I somehow managed to get past this (multiple reboots?).

I am a bit lost here. Can you help me out?

Specs:
i7-920
6gb RAM
MSI GTX 460
Windows 7 Ultimate x64

Have you tried reinstalling it? Any mods installed? You have the expansions correct, if so tried to turn either/both off and then see if it works?

Reinstallation didn't work (either from Steam backup or complete redownload). I don't have any mods installed. I also tried with Oblivion.esm alone, still no-go.

Check the steam forums for a specific fix. I had the same issue and never resolved it btw. You may just be SOL until you reformat. Or just sol period. Depends. I believe there were compatibility issues w/ both soft and hard ware.

Gamebryo games are known to have audio codec issues that can cause crashes on loading, so you might want to try updating your audio codecs. It's been known to solve issues like this.

If that doesn't help, here's a thread on the steam forums that deals with Oblivion crashing:

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=898645

It's a bit older, but it still might be of some help.

Ok. Well, thanks for the answers so far guys. I'll try some more maneuvers and check the forums, then I'll do a Win 7 reinstall.

Also try going into your documents/mygames and delete the Oblivion folder, try running your game again after that.

I had a problem running Steam itself earlier today,I nearly despaired, but in the end, I googled the problem, it said something about the .blob file not being extended.

What I did to solve that was delete EVERYTHING in my Steam folder except Steamapps folder and the Steam.exe file, and then I started up Steam, that fixed the problem!

Back