Oblivion glitch

daemonmf

Limp Gawd
I decided to give Oblivion another chance now that I have a better video card, but for some reason my PC just doesn't like any of the patches. It looks good running the unpatched retail version, but for some reason when I patch it, it does this:

http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j286/jdownes79/Oblivion2007-12-2902-48-54-43.jpg

which obviously just doesn't seem right. In the background you can see the ground textures have very obvious lines where 2 textures meet and there is also the weird 'blurry texture fog' that seems to be spread about randomly. I'm running Vista 32bit with an 8800GT and the latest driver, 169.25. I've uninstalled/reinstalled a couple times using the 1.1 patch and the 1.2 patch, but same effect. This only happens when Distant Lands is on and only with either of the patches installed. Anyone seen this/know how to fix it?

I've got a similar issue, in exactly the same scenario - just dumped my old A64 3500+/X1900Pro combo for a fat quad core and G92 GTS, and all the shadows in my newly-sexualed Oblivion are crap. They look like the legendary nVidia corner-cutting, which is a big kick in the teeth because my old X800XL did better.

I seem to have fixed it. Dunno exactly what it was, but I logged in as Admin and applied the patch. Ran the game as admin and it ran beautifully. Logged out of Admin and back into my acct and ran it again, but found the graphics were again fubar'd. This meant it probably wasn't the driver or anything that the two accts have in common, so what I did is renamed the Oblivion config folder for my acct, C:\Users\James\Documents\My Games\Oblivion to Oblivion_old (so I can look at it later and try to figure out why it messd up) and copied the Admin config folder, C:\Users\Administrator\Documents\My Games\Oblivion to my acct. It worked. Go figure.

Anyway, after comparing the two folders, I found the Oblivion.ini file to be the culprit... apparently the patches don't (or didn't in my case) properly update the config file, but if there isn't one there, it will properly generate one which is why it ran fine on my Admin acct. After mucking around with the old and new config files, i found the bFullBrightLighting set to 1 to be the problem. So if anyone else has this problem, try switching the bFullBrightLighting switch to 0 in your Oblivion.ini file.

Yeah, Oblivion patches sucked, they removed my nude mod :(

Are you using any mods? Or a downloaded game? Some mods can screw up after a patch. The downloaded versions require a different patch than the CD/DVD versions.

I did a search for Oblivion and this was the most recent thread.

I have a semi related problem. Like the OP, I wanted to take this favorite game of mine for a spin on my new rig. Long/short: Fully patched, used Tweak Guides recommended settings in the .ini, updated all drivers, the works.

This sucker likes to crash to the desktop a lot and at random. Any ideas? I've look around the net and that seems to be an amazingly common phenomenon to this day.

All brainstorming appreciated.

Hardware:
Intel Q9650
Asus Maximus Formula motherboard
4 GB of PC8500 Corsair XMS Ram
evga 8800GT

I did a search for Oblivion and this was the most recent thread.

I have a semi related problem. Like the OP, I wanted to take this favorite game of mine for a spin on my new rig. Long/short: Fully patched, used Tweak Guides recommended settings in the .ini, updated all drivers, the works.

This sucker likes to crash to the desktop a lot and at random. Any ideas? I've look around the net and that seems to be an amazingly common phenomenon to this day.

All brainstorming appreciated.

Hardware:
Intel Q9650
Asus Maximus Formula motherboard
4 GB of PC8500 Corsair XMS Ram
evga 8800GT

Try installing this mod. It worked wonders for me and my crashing problems. I got a very occasional crash even after installing it, but the frequency was drastically reduced.

Interesting that so many people are starting this game over. I too just decided to give it another try. I've installed all updates, content, etc. and Qarl's texture packs. Anyway, With or without the extras enabled, I'm getting consistent CTDs when I try to go to Weynon Priory in the beginning after finding Martin. I've read that this can be caused by turning off a specular setting in the INI, but I didn't do this. I'll give the above mods a try. Any other ideas just in case?

Everything else is working perfectly, and I've never see the game run so well, especially with all the visuals maxed, and extra detail mods installed.

Try installing this mod. It worked wonders for me and my crashing problems. I got a very occasional crash even after installing it, but the frequency was drastically reduced.

Actually, try Streamline - http://www.bethsoft.com/bgsforums/index.php?showtopic=797410&hl=streamline

It does the purging job but MUCH more. It is a fantastic mod.

Also, I would suggest the unofficial Oblivion and Shivering Isles patches. That may solve your crash issue, Q-BZ.

I'll look into all this straightaway.

What "unofficial patches" are you referring to?

EDIT: Found 'em. :)

Interesting that so many people are starting this game over. I too just decided to give it another try. I've installed all updates, content, etc. and Qarl's texture packs. Anyway, With or without the extras enabled, I'm getting consistent CTDs when I try to go to Weynon Priory in the beginning after finding Martin. I've read that this can be caused by turning off a specular setting in the INI, but I didn't do this. I'll give the above mods a try. Any other ideas just in case?

Everything else is working perfectly, and I've never see the game run so well, especially with all the visuals maxed, and extra detail mods installed.

Hmm, perhaps try a new game and see if it crashes still. Oblivion is very delicate, even without mods.

I find myself more impressed with Morrowind in general, even the graphics, than Oblivion. I played Oblivion first so it's not some gay "nostalgia" thing; the atmosphere just totally reels you in with Morrowind. With texture mods and Morrowind Graphics Extender (AA+AF+view distance) the game looks really awesome - sandstorms are sweet!

I find myself more impressed with Morrowind in general, even the graphics, than Oblivion. I played Oblivion first so it's not some gay "nostalgia" thing; the atmosphere just totally reels you in with Morrowind. With texture mods and Morrowind Graphics Extender (AA+AF+view distance) the game looks really awesome - sandstorms are sweet!

I may just have to try that myself. :)

Me too. I've played it a bit, but would love to try it modernized.

I fired it up over the last few days and took in some of the best mods and modernizations.

The story and some of the features are actually better in Morrowind IMO but there are some streamlining elements that Oblivion did that I appreciate like eliminating some of these tedious tasks. "Go collect these six different mushroom samples" etc. I didn't miss that BS in Oblivion. Obviously the visuals and such are better in Oblivion still but there are a few things and some depth to character and story that Morrowind beats it on, again IMO.

I hadn't played Morrowind in a few years so this was kind of eye opening.

I fired it up over the last few days and took in some of the best mods and modernizations.

The story and some of the features are actually better in Morrowind IMO but there are some streamlining elements that Oblivion did that I appreciate like eliminating some of these tedious tasks. "Go collect these six different mushroom samples" etc. I didn't miss that BS in Oblivion. Obviously the visuals and such are better in Oblivion still but there are a few things and some depth to character and story that Morrowind beats it on, again IMO.

I hadn't played Morrowind in a few years so this was kind of eye opening.

Picked up the GOTY edition, so I have all the expansions. I only had the standard one before. As soon as I'm not sucked into Oblivion for a while, I'll give it a whirl.

Back