Oblivion: Follow the main quest?

Actuary

2[H]4U
Just out of curiosity, how many of you guys pretty much stuck to the main quest? I was just starting up my first character and, I don't know, it feels like it's taking forever to get where I have to go, taking forever to level up, etc. I think there's so much in this game and it's so open-ended that I get confused and don't know what to do. I guess I'm asking, how much did you stick to the main quest or go do side ones, how long did it take you to level up, etc.

Also, one other minor question. I tried to use the map to quick-travel...is there any way to zoom out? I could only see like 1 thing on my map.

But yeah, I think I'm going to start over. I'm not liking the archer route anymore.

Well I'm Lvl 32 and at the point where I just took the book from the Dagon Shrine to Cloud Ruler temple. I'm more worried about my guild ranks than the main quest, though I usually try to head in the direction of where I have three or four quests at once.

I haven't spent much time in Oblivon yet (not much chance with a 2 yr old running about the house), but of the time I have spent I'd say about 50% of it on the main quest (spoiler: I'm only level 3 and so far I've taken Martin to the Blades headquarters and joined up, joined the arena and won my first 2 fights, joined the thieves guild and about to join the dark brotherhood once I do the initiation quest, but I'm thinking of starting the Mage guild's quest as I'd rather be primarily a magic user)

Yeah that guy ^^ is right behind me on the main quest. Lvl 32 compared to Lvl 3
biggrin.gif

i might get to level 3 if i can find any time to friggin play :mad:

oh yeah i haven't completed much of the main quest either, been doing guild sidequests/exploring

So what kind of characters are you guys playing? Do you focus mainly on one thing like combat with swords, or mix it up with magic too?

I play a sneaky character with great markmanskills but also good with blade. I have also trained him hard so he can now use magic quite efficiently as well.

Like this character a lot. Magic saves money since arrows are expensive and give you more options when you can cast spells to dispel, cure paralyze and other stuff. I am looking for a paralyze spell I can use but haven´t found any so far.

Also one combo that is da killer is Umbra with soul trap. Good sword and no weight. And Azura Star soul gem that is reusable helps if you want to use enchanted weapons and who doesn´t ;)

But arrows are great in this game easy to do sneak attacks and poison them they certainly do damage especially if enchanted.

I play a dunmer battlemage. I'm only level 15, but I have my destruction skill up to 99 right now. Blade is only at 60 and blunt is only 45. Worse, my light armor and block are even lower. Finally have my alchemy to 50, though I'd like to get it to 75 so I know what all ingredients do. I stopped doing the main quest long ago and started doing mostly side quests to get better equipment, more gold and to get my skills up. Most needed thing right now is to get my armorer skill up so I can repair my enchanted armor. Costs too much to have it repaired for me every other battle... :(

Lvl 21 Spellsword, I finished the first gate at level 4, and took martin to the cloud temple, and havent touched the main quest since then, nor have i closed any of the randomly spawning gates - I just ride right by them. Half way thru the mages and fighters guild quests. Ill just go to a city and do every quest i can find there, then head to the next city.

I've done roughly 1% of the main quest. I'm a level 12. The other 99% of the time I've psnet exploring, dungeon crawls, side quests and working on my ranks in the guilds. I'm better with a weapon but I've got more magic and have mastered destruction. I'm actually getting bored with exploring and am probably going to switch over to doing the main quest. Then once thats out of the way I'll go back to exploring.

I've basically been doing what the above poster is doing. Hit one city, do all the quests in that city then move on.

Crusader.

Taken Martin to the Blade outpost and stopped.

Master of Fighter Guild, 100Blade Skill, 100 Heavy Armor skill.

Want to level to the point where Deadric items are dropping before doing main quest so when I explore all the amazing places I imagine it will have me go, I'll be able to get pwn loots.

Started the main quest at level 15 and got owned at the default difficulty setting (anyone will with the auto-scaling that Oblivion has for the main quest). I turned the difficulty down about 25% and it is much easier and enjoyable.

It depends on how you level up. I don´t level up as fast as I can and I have never felt overwhelmed. Especially since when your enemies get glass and daedric weapons so do you :D.

But my character is very versatile it can handle all kind of enemies :). Best with a bow but not to shabby with a blade either :)

I'll admit combat isn't easy at default difficulty for me, but I've managed and I fight pretty well. I know how to dodge effectively and quickly so I can win combat with ease. Unfortunately, some battles still take a minute or two. I have like 110 Speed though so I'm constantly outsmarting my enemies to get around their blows. I use quite a bit of poisons when I have the option, just to speed things up, but I usually have plenty available since I've made nearly 5000 potions.

I'm a dark elf custom class, can't remember all the majors off hand (I'm in work so can't check), but I think I've picked Blade, Marksmanship, speachcraft, restoration and destruction magicks and heavy armour (although I think I should have picked light), who was born under the Mage starsign. I tend to favour using a sword backed up with minor fireballs and major healing magick.

Not to stray too far off the topic, but how long would you say the main quest is? And is it as good as Morrowind's?

enzio said:
Not to stray too far off the topic, but how long would you say the main quest is? And is it as good as Morrowind's?

They say 20-30 hours, and it certainly is a good plot so far. I'm a good bit further than anyone else that chimed in so far.

I play an EQ style shaman so my skills are in light armor, buffs, blunt weapons, HOT's, and DOT's.
I also have a mod so I can summon a wolf as my pet instead of having to use undead or Daedra.

I am level 12 and I haven't done a thing on the main quest line. Instead I have become a journeyman in the mages guild and I have completed 2 of the daedric shrine quests, which are awesome. From one I got a ring that gives me permanent Chameleon+30% and Speed +10, and from the other I got a staff that allows me to make a duplicate of any NPC or monster int he game, and the duplicate then fights for me against the original!

DudeItsMe said:
Yeah that guy ^^ is right behind me on the main quest. Lvl 32 compared to Lvl 3
biggrin.gif

How do you level so fast ? I did that quest too and I'm level 4 ... I did other quests too ... not only the main one ... :confused:

I am at level 22 and I have yet to start the main quest. I still have the Amulet. I am the Guild Master of the Dark Brotherhood and the Thieves Guild. I am an expert on the Mages Guild, Grand Champion in the Arena. Member of the Fighter Guild. I have completed dozens and dozens of side quests. I am a brother of the Vertious Blood, but also a Vampire (Irony for ya).My Magic Skills are just starting to get to the point where I don't need a sword anymore.
I have put in close to 50 Hours so far and the best part is I am not even close to being done.

oqvist said:
Also one combo that is da killer is Umbra with soul trap. Good sword and no weight. And Azura Star soul gem that is reusable helps if you want to use enchanted weapons and who doesn´t ;)

But arrows are great in this game easy to do sneak attacks and poison them they certainly do damage especially if enchanted.

One of the best bows I have come across is the Dragon Bow. I use enchanted arrows that also do area fire damage. When I fire these things everyone within 20 feet gets OWNED! I also Poison them just to make sure it's a one shot.

I'm a lvl 36 warrior and just finished the main quest. Kind of anti climactic. Oh well. Also your reward for completing the main quest is rather lame.

U HAX0R said:
How do you level so fast ? I did that quest too and I'm level 4 ... I did other quests too ... not only the main one ... :confused:
By carefully choosing skills that I would use a lot as my Major Skills, and by playing 55 hours so far.

Majors:

Blade - 87 (7)
Alchemy - 100 (0)
Light Armor - 115 (18)
Marksman - 68 (4)
Mercantile - 59 (0)
Security - 90 (18)
Sneak - 89 (4)

Total number is on left, () show the fortified amount. Subtract right from left to get what my skills are when I'm naked.

Ok guys, couple of questions for you all.

1. Where is the location of the guilds?

2. When I was playing my first character I could only add like rat meat to the mortar and pestil and couldnt add anything else. It didn't seem like I was doing it right. Can someone explain detailed how to use alchemy.

3. I didn't see any horsies :mad: .

4. Do you guys fast travel at all or walk/ride around? If you do, help me out. Last time I tried I felt as though I was zoomed in and could only see 1 town...is there a way to zoom out?

5. Where do you get more spells? Buy them in the towns?

Joeshmo definiatly walk around. You gain experience and also what´s fun having a big world when you don´t explore it. It´s tons to be found :)

The location of the guilds ask NPCs about it look in every city. Mages and fighters guild exist in just about every city so those are easy to find. Thiefs and Dark Brotherhood for obvious reasons are harder ;).

But ask around and remember to use the persuade function. The more people like you the more they are telling you.

As for Alchemy pick plants. You need an allembic and mortal&pestle, calcinator and lost the name... You don´t need all of these but an allembic you need I think or it´s the one I forgot...

Then if you pick enough plants you can choose first 1 in the first slots. Then you will see in the other what other stuff in your inventory you can use. I don´t know if you need three ingredients if you are a novice...

Here's how Alchemy works from Novice up.

Novice - See one effect
Apprentice - See two effects
Journeyman - See three effects
Expert - See four effects
Master - Make potions from one ingredient.

Starting off, you need to match the first effect between two ingredients. Say Corn and Bread, they will both have "Restore Fatigue" as the first effect (this is common for foods). If you select Corn, the next ingredient HAS to be something with Restore Fatigue as the first effect. If you have nothing matching, you will not be able to select anything else.

At Apprentice, you can see two effects. Let's say something is Restore Fatigue and Damage Health. When you look for matching ingredients, it will show both ingredients with Restore Fatigue and Damage Health. You can use either one, or in some cases, both.

At Journeyman, you see three effects, and mix from three effects.

Expert you can see all the effects. Journeyman and Expert will unlock some of the more interesting things you don't find as the first effect on anything (Feather, Water Walking).

At Master, you can make any potion from one ingredient BUT it will ONLY take the first effect. You still have to use two ingredients to get effects like Feather, Water Walking, Water Breathing, etc. Effects like Shock Damage or Fire Damage will have to be made from the appropriate dust/salt. You can also now mix potions with Ninroot, although I don't recommend it.

So to start off, go to an inn, buy up a bunch of food, and make Restore Fatigue potions. This will let you get the hang of it etc. AFAIK, you should never have to use more than two ingredients in a potion. However, doing so could give you a potion that say, has Restore Health, Restore Magicka, and another effect. It would be very difficult to combine the right ingredients for that though.

DudeItsMe said:
By carefully choosing skills that I would use a lot as my Major Skills, and by playing 55 hours so far.

Oh ... I only played 11 hours so far. :D

I'm a level 21 Wood Elf Assasin. I followed the main quest, doing Kvatch around level 6 or 7, then I took a break from the main quest to do the guild quests. I just finished the Theives Guild and I'm pretty far along through the Dark Brotherhood. After that, I'll probably work on the Mages Guild and get back to the main storyline. I use bow and blade and illusion magic for invisiblity and chameleon.

I also just wander around hunting bandits and vampires, but I've only done one Oblivion gate (Kvatch). At some point, I'll probably try playing as a Vampire too, unless I kill them all before that. I haven't done many of the sidequests, I have a few towns worth where I finished most of the guild quests but haven't done any of the other quests.

I've been picking up plants, but haven't really gotten into alchemy because it seems like a hassle, I've got too many looted potions to carry already and my spells cover most of what I need. I may look into making some poisons though, I'd like to make some more poisoned apples. ;)

I've tried to get the Soul Trap spell working, but I haven't found the right creatures and it's tough to do as a stealth archer. Luckily I find enough new magic weapons that I can usually switch when the charges run out.

I lost both of the free horses early on. Horse control doesn't seem very well thought out. Anyway, I usually fast travel or steal a horse to map far off locations. Other times, I just walk. I just got a nice free horse from a quest, so I'm trying to make an effort not to lose this one.

I read somewhere that Morrowind had 300+ hours of things to do, if you did absolutely every quest and every dungeon. I'm sure Oblivion will have plenty to do even after the main quests, and hopefully there will be some good player-created and official add-on modules.

Newb question: How exactly do I level up? :( I've already closed a gate but all I've done is steal stuff and resell. I've stolen like 500 items and have been in jail countless number of times. :rolleyes: Haven't concentrated on leveling up seeing how as I am level 1. :D

I'm not even going to touch the main quest until I finish the guild quests.

/337 said:
Newb question: How exactly do I level up? :( I've already closed a gate but all I've done is steal stuff and resell. I've stolen like 500 items and have been in jail countless number of times. :rolleyes: Haven't concentrated on leveling up seeing how as I am level 1. :D

At the bottom of the screen there should be a Arrow in your H.U.D.
That Arrow means you have leveled up. All you need to do to make the level take effect is sleep. Find a bed and sleep.

Back