Oblivion developer talks about 360 version

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oblivion is a very nice lookin game, gotta save some money on this one, since I dont have a 360, and the PC version is cheaper, I will go for PC

Xbox.com: Touching on something you mentioned before, just how much more glorious an adventure can owners expect from the title than their PC-loving counterparts?

Howard: Again, it depends on their setup. If they have the absolute latest PC with a video card that is fully shader model 3.0 compatible and a giant HD monitor, they're about the same. The question is, can they get all of that for $399? And does it let them play Geometry Wars? That game rules.

This is one of the parts that interests me the most.

Bethesda doesn't seem to think that the X360 is limiting them in any way whatsoever, despite what PC loyalists would have you believe.

ZX6Master said:

Bethesda doesn't seem to think that the X360 is limiting them in any way whatsoever, despite what PC loyalists would have you believe.

Yeah...thats why they had to butcher the graphics to get it to run on the X360.

I wouldnt believe any of these hacks anyway, I remember reading a preview from the FEAR developers saying that FEAR would run just as smoothly as HL2 (yeah fuckin right)

defiant said:
Yeah...thats why they had to butcher the graphics to get it to run on the X360.

I wouldnt believe any of these hacks anyway, I remember reading a preview from the FEAR developers saying that FEAR would run just as smoothly as HL2 (yeah fuckin right)

:rolleyes:

They "butchered" the graphics because most of the PC market doesn't even begin to measure up to their minimum requirements. Care to try again?

Developers usually cut back no matter what. I doubt Oblivion maxed out completely would run on even the best computer, so they had to make it playable.

ZX6Master said:

That was my take on it too. An XBox 360 user with a HD set will get the full experience. PC user with the bla bla bla card should get a comparable experience. It sounds like, if anything, they optimized it for the XBox 360, since they seem to prefer developing for it over PC. Buuuuttt... I'm still not getting a 360
smile.gif

ZX6Master said:
:rolleyes:

They "butchered" the graphics because most of the PC market doesn't even begin to measure up to their minimum requirements. Care to try again?

I find that hard to believe given that pc users conveniently have the options to "turn off" graphical features that they dont need. The X360 has no such option, and therefore, the X360 determines the base line standard of features as both versions are being developed in parrallel.

Of course developers would never undermine pc versions of game for the sake of the console version, I mean look at Deus Ex 2/Red Faction 2/Rainbow 6 lockdown/etc/etc/etc/never ending list of games, those are all wonderful examples of games that take advantage of a pc's capabilities :rolleyes:

More from an article on IGN:

Gavin Carter said:
The scale is along the lines of one and a half times the size of Morrowind, but massive is really the only word you need to describe it.

Gavin Carter said:
IGN: Are you still planning on a simultaneous Xbox / PC release? Any notable differences between the two versions?

We plan on having both versions on the shelf absolutely as close to the same date as possible. The path for certification, manufacturing, and distribution for both versions are completely different, so exactly the same day for both will be a challenge, but they should be very close. The two will be identical in terms of content. The only differences are the obvious control one, and the PC has many more visual options to scale the performance up or down based on your system.

Gavin Carter said:
IGN: All the still shots we've seen so far have looked great, but what about the framerate? Are you confident that the game will run at a solid 30 fps when finished? What are some of the most problematic areas?

Gavin Carter: I'm confident framerate won't be an issue at all. The only trouble spots are a symptom of the open world we provide the player. For instance, if you train an entire Mages Guild out into the streets for a battle with the guards, you probably should expect things to bog down a bit. But these situations are few and far between. We spent a great deal of effort profiling the game and all the trouble areas we had, and doing everything in our power to make them all run smoothly. We worked hand in hand with Microsoft, ATI, Nvidia, Havok, Emergent, and other companies to ensure our programming was as optimal as possible.

From this write up on Xbox360.ign.com
http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/686/686642p1.html

I'm calling a time out in this thread before the mods come in and give technical fouls for starting another stupid 360 vs. PC war.

Keep the following points in mind:

1) The game isn't out yet. Changes/optimizations are still occurring
2) The interview is on a Microsoft site. The interview is going to have some heavy 360 spin on it.
3) If held on a PC gaming site, it would have a heavy PC spin on it.
4) Executive Producers lie through their teeth while wearing rose colored glasses. I wouldn't trust this guy no matter who's interviewing him on whatever subject. He'd say Hitler was his gay lover in college if it would mean more sales.

Since Microsoft was my publisher and I worked next to the marketingtrons, I know a little about how they operate. Take this article for what it is: a fluff piece that's designed to get you pumped up about the release... regardless of the platform.

I hope when this game comes out it will look so unbelievably awesome that everyone who plays it has their head explode. That way we can stop having these threads turn into "my pc is better than your 360" and vice versa.

Didn't the original morrowind have such high graphics options that it brought PC's to their knees for a while? I'm hoping this one will be the same way, that way everyone will see that the game was developed with the best of both worlds in mind. These conspiracy theories about dumbing shit down for the 360 are tired. Either way, it will look better on my 360 than my current PC setup, so I'll either get it on the 360 or wait til I upgrade later this year.

meh.

Kahnvex said:
These conspiracy theories about dumbing shit down for the 360 are tired.
That all depends on the context and the articulation of the argument. What exactly is going to be "dumbed" down? From everything I know and have read, the content is going to be exactly the same. That's the important thing. Your gaming experience isn't going to hinge on some stupid shadow filtering at 45AA and 143AF. So what if the 360 doesn't have the sparkles on the teeth of the NPCs or every scale on the troll isn't bump mapped like on the PC? Ninety percent of people won't notice or care.

Are the two titles going to be exactly the same? No, the PC version will be incrementally different in the way the graphics can be customized, but that's it. Is the 360 holding the PC version from what it could be? It's probable, but a tired arguement from the standpoint that the content will be the same. It's for all intents and purposes the same game, so it renders the debate moot. It's no different from comparing GTA on the PS2 or the XBox. It's the same game in the end.

So just enjoy the title for what it will more than likely be... a giant kick ass RPG.

defiant said:
I find that hard to believe given that pc users conveniently have the options to "turn off" graphical features that they dont need. The X360 has no such option, and therefore, the X360 determines the base line standard of features as both versions are being developed in parrallel.

Of course developers would never undermine pc versions of game for the sake of the console version, I mean look at Deus Ex 2/Red Faction 2/Rainbow 6 lockdown/etc/etc/etc/never ending list of games, those are all wonderful examples of games that take advantage of a pc's capabilities :rolleyes:

Are you dense?

PC users who fall below the MINIMUM requirements can't play because their computers can't handle the games even with everything on LOW. No amount of scaling is going to allow them to run settings that aren't there.

Your argument is based around some of the most asinine logic that I've ever seen on this forum. You're placing the blame of mediocre titles on consoles instead of where it belongs; the developers. Are you honestly trying to argue that all PCs are stronger than the Xbox 360? That's what you're saying when you say the X360 is the baseline.

Torgo said:
. It's the same game in the end.

So just enjoy the title for what it will more than likely be... a giant kick ass RPG.
Yeah, I agree, and I meant tired in the sense that I'm tired of reading constant posts stating that consoles are the downfall of PC gaming. We see it a lot here. But hearing it constantly stated that the 360 is ruining oblivion when the game has reccomended system requirements exceding mine, and the majority of other computer users out there is just silly. Obviously the game has a lot of detail to be had for those of you with awesome systems to take advantage of, and obviously it will look good on the 360 + an HDTV. I just don't get all the fuss. I'm thinking about getting it on the PC, because people keep stating that Morrowind had tons of user developed content available for it.

I'm building a new PC in about 6 months so waiting won't kill me on either front. That and I would be waiting for it to drop in price anyway. I'll be busy playing the new Ghost Recon most likely, provided it doesn't suck.

ZX6Master said:
Are you dense?

PC users who fall below the MINIMUM requirements can't play because their computers can't handle the games even with everything on LOW. No amount of scaling is going to allow them to run settings that aren't there.

Your argument is based around some of the most asinine logic that I've ever seen on this forum. You're placing the blame of mediocre titles on consoles instead of where it belongs; the developers. Are you honestly trying to argue that all PCs are stronger than the Xbox 360? That's what you're saying when you say the X360 is the baseline.

Yes....I must be dense to engage in console vs pc rhetoric with a dullard like yourself who needs to resort petty insults in order to feed a superiority complex that obviously arises from an inability to cope from having an extremely small penis.

Let me rephrase what I meant by baseline standard. The X360 will determine the maximum features that will be included in the game because of its inability to tailor which options are on off. Say for example, there is no point at all including soft shadows because the X360 cant handle it even if there are some pc users who can. So no....I do not mean that all pcs are stronger than the X360.

And yes....I do blame consoles for mediocre PC titles because more often than not sacrifices in features and design are made to accomodate consoles.

And finally I do not believe the developers excuse that most pc users fall below the minimum requirements because alot of developers talk out of their arse. Case in point, Halo pc, which ran like garbage not because of advanced graphics (like gearbox would have you believe) but because of shitty ass coding.

Just to add my little bit of opinion:

I reckon Microsoft gave the devs a shite load of money and said "it cant be better on the PC than the 360". So, naturally, now all driving new cars, the devs dumb it down and say 'we wanted everyone to be able to play it'. So stupid.

I mean, why on earth would they design it from the ground up on PCs with awesome shaders which ran well at E3 like 9 months ago before the current gen of gfx cards then when they get the 360 suddenly it doesnt run fast enough for current users, thats bull.

the 360 has a set speed, a set gfx level and Microsofts unlimited money behind it meaning they can tell the devs to do/say whatever they want. For Oblivion to run completely smoothly everywhere in the game on the 360 they would have to lower the gfx level the lowest common denominator, probably a fire lit room full of funky zombies or some shit where as on PC people are used to chugging under heavy load and just shrug it off and lower the detail settings, which the 360 cant do.

Bottom line, Microsoft dropped a tonne of money to make sure the 360 version ran perfectly regardless of what they had to do to their original made-for-and-on-pc version and to making sure the PC version didnt look better than the 360 too.

BTW, before you all get angsty, read my sig.

DudeItsMe said:
That was my take on it too. An XBox 360 user with a HD set will get the full experience. PC user with the bla bla bla card should get a comparable experience. It sounds like, if anything, they optimized it for the XBox 360, since they seem to prefer developing for it over PC. Buuuuttt... I'm still not getting a 360
smile.gif

Well it makes sense because optimizing for a console is much easier than doing it for a PC...there are no variables, it's a static system. That's why some of the latest PS2 games look amazing but you would never get games that looked like that on a similar specced PC.

Okay, first off, let's recap:

defiant said:
Yes....I must be dense to engage in console vs pc rhetoric with a dullard like yourself who needs to resort petty insults in order to feed a superiority complex that obviously arises from an inability to cope from having an extremely small penis.

You talk as if you're somehow better than him even though you did the exact same thing back.

Now for the actual topic of the post:

Let me rephrase what I meant by baseline standard. The X360 will determine the maximum features that will be included in the game because of its inability to tailor which options are on off. Say for example, there is no point at all including soft shadows because the X360 cant handle it even if there are some pc users who can. So no....I do not mean that all pcs are stronger than the X360.

And yes....I do blame consoles for mediocre PC titles because more often than not sacrifices in features and design are made to accomodate consoles.

And finally I do not believe the developers excuse that most pc users fall below the minimum requirements because alot of developers talk out of their arse. Case in point, Halo pc, which ran like garbage not because of advanced graphics (like gearbox would have you believe) but because of shitty ass coding.

That's not always true, it depends on their development process. If the two versions are being made in parallel instead of one being ported to the other, each should be more tailored to its platform. Features would only get truncated during the porting process, where a finished peg would have to fit into a new whole, and rather than adding bits they just chop some pieces off, but if they were making two pegs for two wholes well... you get the idea.

Conversely if the PC title were to be made first then there's no reason why it would be cut down if indeed the 360 title were to be inferior, although I doubt that's the case considering the timeframe of development and release.

defiant, remember that "arguing on the internet" jpg? It was made for situations like this.

Oh, and on the chance that you actually do get banned for flaming for no apparent reason whatsoever, toodles.

Yeah...thats why they had to butcher the graphics to get it to run on the X360

Ummm... didn't they postpone the game because the 360 was more powerful than they thought, so they wanted to raise the visual level of both the 360 and the PC?

I couldn't care less either way. I own a 360, but if I can pick up a game for the PC I will play it on the PC instead, regardless of whether or not I have to dumb down a few graphics options or not.

Although, I have to say that at this point in time, the 360 is not limiting the developers in anyway vs. a PC. In another year or so... well, we all know how that goes. For now the 360 is king, next year the Nvidia FX 999,999GTS and the ATi X250,000XLXTX will blow it away.

finalgt said:
Oh, and on the chance that you actually do get banned for flaming for no apparent reason whatsoever, toodles.
No, bans are handed out for very specific reasons. Smart ass comments like this being one example, the flaming going on in the rest of this thread being another.

I can remind all you guys that bans are being handed out more frequently these days to try to cut down on personal flames just like these. But, in the end, it's up to you. Keep in on topic and stay away from personal attacks or you'll get banned. I can't make it any plainer than that.

Thanks - B.B.S.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back