Oblivion... buy the X360 or PC version?

I have both the PC version and the 360 version, my vote goes to the 360 version.

Simply because the game wasn't developed with PC as first priority. When I'm on my PC all I do is fiddle with all the settings and optimizations adding mods left and right then optimizing for the mods again, I swear all I do on the PC is fiddle with stuff trying to see if they help visual or performance, never do I get the urge to really PLAY the game, because in the end it still didn't ran as smooth as I'd liked, nor did it look as pretty as the 360 version. I must be joking? Well let me explain:

You have to keep in mind that I only have a single 7800GTX and I have a 2405FPW therefore at 1920x1200 the 7800 really bears quite a load of burden, plus the 2405FPW sports a matte screen and my 51" rear-projection HDTV bears a reflective screen, plus the fact that ATI handles HDR differently from nVidia the graphics looked a lot more colorful and realistic on the 360 version on my TV. Sure I could have gone out and bought myself a 8800GTX and it would have done humiliation to Oblivion but looking at how many half-assed efforts with poor control schemes and optimizations for the PC market from developers in the past 1.5 years after purchasing my brand new 7800GTX, I decided not to waste that money.

Don't for a minute here think I'm a PC basher+convert, this is purely my opinion on the game of Oblivion, there are other games that goes the complete opposite like battlefield series, the game is absolute rubbish on the 360 yet better than average on PC, so it's better buy the PC version.

For Oblivion, I think the 360 is the better route to go, perhaps it's just my rig but it never ran good enough to get rid of that annoying voice in the back of my head "maybe if I do this .............." I've logged more than 100 hours on the 360, all of them pure gameplay and about 10 hours on the PC with 95% of that spent purely on performance testing.

Seeing as how Oblivion keeps crashing my pc. +1 vote for the 360

AMEN BROTHER. I installed Oblivion, ran okay for a month or so (I could play for 1 to 2 hours between crashes), got sucked in and was having fun, and boom! Crashes every 2 to 3 minutes. The game became unplayable. Patches didn't help, tweaks didn't help, Bethesda sure didn't help. I spent, and I am not lying, probably 10 hours total trying to get that game to run. And finally gave up and uninstalled it. This was about 5, 6 months ago maybe. I don't know if they bugs have been worked out due to patches or not. I am still so angry I am not willing to reinstall and try again.

+1 PC - I actually play oblivion PC with my modded xbox controller, works quite well. Only switch to mouse to browse inventory, since I use the joystick natively instead of using joy2mouse or something.

PC version, no question. When you get the PC version come back and well show you how to make it look like this:

oblivion200701031150461ut7.jpg

bos31.jpg

bos12.jpg

bos13.jpg

bos2.jpg

bos1.jpg

...unless of course you are a moron who can't make a stable computer, I have never experienced a crash to desktop with this game, after 200+ hours of playing.

Codex what mods are you running? And what hardware you got? That looks really nice.

If your PC is REALLY high end, go for it. Otherwise, the 360 looks better than the game does on 99% of PC's. Plus, everything's pre-configured and ready to go. You just pop it in and you're up and running in 30 seconds. No playing around with settings and realizing in the heat of battle that you have to turn AA down. There's something to be said for simplicity and having everything ready to go.
One thing to really keep in mind as far as the controls are concerned is that there's no pinpoint aiming needed...ever. My wife never used a right analog stick in her life but was up and running inside of a few hours. Yes, it's always nice to have mouse-look, but Oblivion really doesn't benefit from it beyond it simply being a preference.
I'm a fan of the 360 version, but it's true that with the right hardware you CAN make the PC version look significantly better.

If your PC is REALLY high end, go for it. Otherwise, the 360 looks better than the game does on 99% of PC's. Plus, everything's pre-configured and ready to go. You just pop it in and you're up and running in 30 seconds. No playing around with settings and realizing in the heat of battle that you have to turn AA down. There's something to be said for simplicity and having everything ready to go.
One thing to really keep in mind as far as the controls are concerned is that there's no pinpoint aiming needed...ever. My wife never used a right analog stick in her life but was up and running inside of a few hours. Yes, it's always nice to have mouse-look, but Oblivion really doesn't benefit from it beyond it simply being a preference.
I'm a fan of the 360 version, but it's true that with the right hardware you CAN make the PC version look significantly better.

Not only look better, but run better and just be better in general. There are performance mods that make the game run faster and better. There are mods that make huge changes to the game as a whole. I am not talking about textures or models but gameplay dynamics. You can add new buildings with new people and new quests and new monsters and loads of new content. You can change the leveling system so that it makes a bit of sense (anyone who's played knows what I am talking about). You can literally go crazy with mods for the PC version. I have a mod that adds a quest to find an arrow forge. When you complete the quest and get the forge you can recycle unwanted pieces of armor and weapons and turn them into arrows of the same material (steel to steel, daedric to daedric etc.). I have a mod that adds a petshop to Cheydenhal and lets me run around with an imp, a bear, or a wolf as a pet that fight with you and level with you. You have to feed your pet to regain health, the mod adds a bunch of items used only by your pets. These are just a few examples of the HUNDREDS of things you can do with mods, not counting the ones that haven't been made yet.

Okay, stop telling him about the difference and give him a good screenshot comparison.

Oblivion Xbox 360:

the-elder-scrolls-iv-oblivion-20060324070905291.jpg

Oblivion PC:

There ya go.

but thats not a good screenshot, it can look a lot better than that. Are you using any LOD texture replacements? Quarls texture packs? Natural Environments? That shot looks... bad.

(and yes I am talking about the PC one, the x360 one looks like it belongs on a PSP)

Um, what? LOL

I'm using Qarls texture pack 3. Are u blind :p

It looks exactly the same as the pic you showed above... Unless it's the high resolution your talking about and you have a low resolution (trying to look at high resolution)

Otherwise, don't know what your talking about :confused:

I think I get it...

Is it the bad looking woman...?

SO maybe I should mod the characters as well as the areas?

The area looks good, but the woman- who looks like she was drug out of the N64 screaming- brings it all down.

I guess your right, if that is what you mean.

but thats not a good screenshot, it can look a lot better than that. Are you using any LOD texture replacements? Quarls texture packs? Natural Environments? That shot looks... bad.

(and yes I am talking about the PC one, the x360 one looks like it belongs on a PSP)

I think it looks pretty damn good. Would look MUCH better if the sun was out with HDR on (or Bloom + AA as it doesn't look like AA is on).

my opinion is basically the same i hold for games like neverwinter nights 2

oblivion has an ok quest. but when i purchase the game i basically purchase a tool kit on an engine. from there i can do what i want with the game engine.

i can edit the game to play exactly like the rpg i want. when i'm done with the quest i can make a new one and then give it to other people to play through

you can't do that on the 360. not that the 360 is bad, but i think its mainly for people who do not have a gaming computer. if you have both pc should be a no brainer, if you are a console gamer than the 360 version is still one of the best games available for the system

and for the record, my system runs it fine on high settings and i only had one crash and it was mod conflict related.

Um, what? LOL

I'm using Qarls texture pack 3. Are u blind :p

It looks exactly the same as the pic you showed above... Unless it's the high resolution your talking about and you have a low resolution (trying to look at high resolution)

Otherwise, don't know what your talking about :confused:

I think I get it...

Is it the bad looking woman...?

SO maybe I should mod the characters as well as the areas?

The area looks good, but the woman- who looks like she was drug out of the N64 screaming- brings it all down.

I guess your right, if that is what you mean.

Are there mods that make the models look better?. I really cant stand the way some of them look especially the female models.

The sun wasn't out 'tis day, had to warp to nightfall.

This a better shot? LOL HDR, everything, and looks just like the Xbox 360 shot :rolleyes:

Are there mods that make the models look better?. I really cant stand the way some of them look especially the female models.

I use IFT as I like it the best, there are many others but I do not remember what they are called.IFT IFT Addon Soon To Be Released IFT

Domingo, pinpoint aiming is a necessity for some. Maybe not when you can just plow through everything since everyone is the same level on the 360 version, but the sneak bonus is a must with mods such as OOO/frans, along with hitting them from afar and taking most of their life away till they get to me. I'd like to see you hit this guard using a joystick. I can do it with ease with a mouse.

Looks mighty fine Godofdestrcution. :)

Lots of good stuff here. Has anyone come across a good guide for Oblivion w/ all these mods and recommendations?

Eshme's Female Bodts is the most popular model replacment to improve the 'curves' on the female mods.

As for the OP... seriously. The 360 version, you'll play through once. Maybe a little more a 2nd time with a diff class but it will be more of the same.

On the PC, the game TRUELY never ends. Constant, quality new content coming out. Not even including the awesome visual updates and tweaks.

Not going to re-quote the pics thread in here, but you can't do anything like this on the 360...

127fs611041.png

You can't do this on the 360!
(note: no texture mods are installed, my machine is not strong enough to run them well)

*edit: fixed image link

even with your current rig I don't think you will be able to play at the same level of detail as the 360 version and still get it to run as smooth as the 360 version

+1 for the 360 version

Er uhh.. I had both and traded the 360 version for the PC version. One of the best decisions I've made. The mods alone made the migration worth while.

PC version. Gotta love the construction set so you can create your own mods. With a little time it's easy to learn.

How easy is it to configure a joystick for use in the PC version of Oblivion? Is there an option for a slight auto-aim? I played Morrowind on the Xbox, and it worked great (I was a warrior, so I didn't need super-precise distance aiming). My PC also runs through to my HDTV, so it would be nice to play it on the couch with the Xbox 360 wireless controller once that USB adapter comes out.

I played the 360 version of Oblivion just two days ago. I much prefer the PC version just for the fact the mouse and keyboard work much better than using a gamepad. My friend's character looked like a drunken sailor trying to use the gamepad to play Oblivion. The 360 version does run smoother though.

even with your current rig I don't think you will be able to play at the same level of detail as the 360 version and still get it to run as smooth as the 360 version

+1 for the 360 version

What!? I play on my aged box (specs in sig)... It Looks great! At worst I get 15 fluid frames per second.. His box should run Oblivion awesomely!

mods alone is the best reason
+1 for PC

Sorry guys to bring this topic to the top but I have a question, I rented oblivion for the 360 and really loved the game and I do want to purchase it for the pc for the single reason of mods, however I dont think my pc is capable of running the game even remotely close to good.

Here is what I have:

A64 3400 Clawhammer 2.2Ghz S754
1GB Ram
Nvidia 6800GT and will be running on a dell 2405 @ 1680 1050 because i know theres no way I'll even be able to move at native :(

Does anyone have any opinions on this? I simply drool at seeing the texture mods on these forums but I doubt it will be worth my while on this rig.

Thanks in advance

Sorry guys to bring this topic to the top but I have a question, I rented oblivion for the 360 and really loved the game and I do want to purchase it for the pc for the single reason of mods, however I dont think my pc is capable of running the game even remotely close to good.

Here is what I have:

A64 3400 Clawhammer 2.2Ghz S754
1GB Ram
Nvidia 6800GT and will be running on a dell 2405 @ 1680 1050 because i know theres no way I'll even be able to move at native :(

Does anyone have any opinions on this? I simply drool at seeing the texture mods on these forums but I doubt it will be worth my while on this rig.

Thanks in advance

Sorry to tell you this but you will be disappointed. Oblivion will not be very smooth with 1GB of ram. There is a huge difference with 2GB. Also the 6 series nvidia GPUs don't do HDR very efficiently so you can run HDR lighting but definitely not @ 1680x1050. I used to have a 6800GS and when I upgraded to a x1950pro the difference was night and day. The high texture packs you see also love a GPU with 512MB of RAM. I'm not telling you to not get the PC version, I'm just saying prepare to be disappointed with the performance and visuals ;)

Doh heh, thanks for the reply.

Yeah I kind of figured as much :( Well I will probably buy the 360 version for now then until I upgrade later on, since I need to really upgrade everything :eek:

It is kinda hard to play with 1GB of ram, but it is not horrible. I have everything turned up with 4x AA and 16x AF at 1680x1050. I get 30-45fps in most places but I bog down a bit while areas load. It doesn't bother me too much. I think I get a little more help though from my 8800GTS. I'm sure it would be much smoother with another GB, but I'm holding out so I can get DDR2 with my next system up grade.

Back