Oblivion... buy the X360 or PC version?

S

SpeedRunner

I am sure that a thread has been made about this, but I couldn't find it.

I also don't usually make threads asking for help with a decision, but this I can't figure out.

I have both a 360 and a high-end PC... I want to buy Oblivion. Its a pretty tough decision, I could probably pump out better graphics with my PC (see rig details in my sig). My Xbox 360 has those cool achievement points that are always fun. I'm not sure which version is better honestly, its either a controller or a mouse/keyboard.

So which one should I go for?

Xbox version will probably piss you off, theres so much moving around. Go with PC version

PC version for sure unless it's someone with an older computer.

PC version.
The reason, mods.

I agree.

Heh, I find this line hilarious - "I could probably pump out better graphics with my PC". With mods you can make this game look 100000x times better than the Xbox's version.

even with your current rig I don't think you will be able to play at the same level of detail as the 360 version and still get it to run as smooth as the 360 version

+1 for the 360 version

hmm i think if you asked me to decide between xbox 360 and PC for just about any other game i would go with XBOX 360 but for oblivion i would go with the PC. (i have xbox360 and PC)

even with your current rig I don't think you will be able to play at the same level of detail as the 360 version and still get it to run as smooth as the 360 version

+1 for the 360 version

Sorry to burst your bubble but his current rig can run vanilla Oblivion (yuck) at full speed. Still, if the OP doesn't want any mods then by all means get the 360 version.

PC for sure. You can get this game looking so much better with the PC mods available. Not only do mods improve the look but there are so many gameplay improvement mods out there. The OOO mod allows me to play oblivion like it's an entirely new fresh game. Read the OOO ReadMe file to see what I mean ;)

If you've got a decent PC, I'd suggest the PC version for the mods, if you've got an awful PC i'd suggest the xbox version.

You've got a pretty reasonable PC I'd suggest the PC version, most of the graphical mods seem to add decent looking visuals without really having a big impact on performance.

There are mods to make the game look better, run better, and play better on the PC. If your PC can keep up with your xbox360, by all means, get the PC version, and hey, maybe down the line you'll upgrade that PC even and make the game run even better.

There are mods to make the game look better, run better, and play better on the PC. If your PC can keep up with your xbox360, by all means, get the PC version, and hey, maybe down the line you'll upgrade that PC even and make the game run even better.

Theres nothing quite like going back to older games and playing them in 2048 1536 with 8xAA and 16xAF

You don't need to go back that far to find games that will run on todays hardware at them settings.

I am sure that a thread has been made about this, but I couldn't find it.

I also don't usually make threads asking for help with a decision, but this I can't figure out.

I have both a 360 and a high-end PC... I want to buy Oblivion. Its a pretty tough decision, I could probably pump out better graphics with my PC (see rig details in my sig). My Xbox 360 has those cool achievement points that are always fun. I'm not sure which version is better honestly, its either a controller or a mouse/keyboard.

So which one should I go for?

PC version no doubt.
Your rig will handle Oblivion quite well and with the mods available, you can even improve graphics, gameplay and everything else in the game.

And even if you're partial to a controller, you can always pick up one of the Xbox 360 controllers for the computer.

7900 GTX isn´t that fast. I run 2x7800 GT:s and it´s faster but not nearly fast enough to max Oblivion out. And that is before the mods ;).

I don´t know how the 360 version run but the PC version it´s the same as Morrowind. You will at times get crashes that then somehow cures it self. You will at times get severr stutters have to lower your settings. Next time you go to the same area you may find you can increase your settings again...

The difference between your computer and the 360 is that the 360 will be a bit blurrier. But if it runs smoother it may compensate a bit for it...

However I would still go for the PC version better controls, graphics and mods of course if you want to kill the performance a bit.

PC version by far. I played the 360 version and it was annoying. As far as graphics are concerned, It looked so much better on my PC. The only place the 360 had a good advantage was smoothness in some areas.

PC for sure. I have played both, and I would undoubtedly go with the PC version. Mods are more than enough reason to get it for PC.

Vote for PC....

On mine, I cant even tell when I'm walking from one 'zone' out in the woods to another. Never pauses for a load time =)

The mods make a huge difference.

gotta say what everyone else is saying PC for the mods and especially for the unofficial patch that cleans up so much in this game

I play on the PC in my my sig, and I run Oblivion maxed out @ 1280x1024 and average around 20fps...

I have both, and a decent PC.

I play it completely thru on the 360. I only played about 40 hours on the PC. Compared to 200 hours on the 360.

If you have a HD TV and a comfortable seat I say go for the 360 version. Load times are much faster on a PC for sure, but its not that long on the 360, ya gotta pause for a drink now and then anyways.

Holding the W key for hours and hours and hours is not fun for me. It was much easier and more fun to play with the controller on the 360.

I tried to get the 360 controller to work with the PC and I couldn't get it to work right. If I had a good controller setup now that I have a WS LCD, I'll likely play it on the PC. But I did start a new charactor on the 360 just this weekend.

You can get a used 360 version cheap and still get the PC version too.

Heck just try them both. Get out of the sewers and see what you like best.

My brother has Oblivion on his computer, and the mods basically remade the graphics engine. Totally new textures for indoors and outdoors for everything, buildings light up on the outside at night, realistic plants and animals, and a lot of them at that, realistic weather and storms, the moon and stars and galaxies, a better and colored map, the list goes on and on. Just to be warned though, one texture mod alone was 1Gb.

Some screenshots.

Illumination Within
image.php

Textures
Before
image.php

After
image.php

Night Sky
Image.php

That's all I can put now, but you get the point.

I played all the way through Oblivion with both the PC and the 360.

I had a high end PC setup, 2 x 7800GTs and a dual core Athlon.

I've gotta say, the PC version looked better (@1920x1200 native with high details), the XBOX 360 version was choppy, inferior graphics and looooong loading times. I still enjoyed playing through both, but with a high end PC, there's no question that Oblivion will be a better experience. Plus you can get mods.

I wish my computer could run Oblivion but I'm still using the computer that my school gave me. So another vote for 360 because I'll at least be able to play it.

I wish my computer could run Oblivion but I'm still using the computer that my school gave me. So another vote for 360 because I'll at least be able to play it.

But this is for his computer, so how will you be able to play it?

You have a good dual core and a 7900gtx, and you PROBABLY could pump out better graphics then Xbox 360??

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

I dont think he would actually
I have the 360 version and I love it and I hate it, I love that the graphics are way better than what my puny x800xl could accomplish but I wish I had mods, but for the most part they pump up textures taht I wouldn't be able to run anways so I'm happy with it on 360

Wow, half the people responding didn't read that I had a fairly high-end rig, even though I was clearly said numerous times.

Graphics are not that big of a deal to me... I want satisfying gameplay. Some of your replies have been good, and I appreciate the advice. I'm still looking into this.

Wow, half the people responding didn't read that I had a fairly high-end rig, even though I was clearly said numerous times.

Graphics are not that big of a deal to me... I want satisfying gameplay. Some of your replies have been good, and I appreciate the advice. I'm still looking into this.

Do you want to use mods? That's pretty much all you need to ask yourself.

SpeedRunner, PC!!!!!! The mods are what bring this game to life. Seriously, IMO there is no other option.

hmm i think if you asked me to decide between xbox 360 and PC for just about any other game i would go with XBOX 360 but for oblivion i would go with the PC. (i have xbox360 and PC)

Same here..never played the 360 version but unless your rig can't handle Oblivion then the pc version is the one to get. Most everything else that is on both platforms would probably be better on 360.

On this note, I thought the game was boring until I installed OOO v1.3. Totally recreates the gameplay and the stupid leveled bandits/caves/loot/shops. This mod rewards you for being brave and for playing smart and becoming a higher level character unlike vanilla Oblivion. You can't do this on 360 :)

Back