O11 Dynamic XL fan configuration

CEO_OF_CBT

Limp Gawd
Hi,

I'm trying to build a new PC with this case, plan to have a water loop inside of it with three radiators.

What's the best airflow configuration for a triple radiator setup? I have 120mm fans that are all identical in terms of model and speed.

Thanks in advance!

To be honest three radiators mean hot air is coming inside the case no matter what. The third rad will intake hot air.
I would go with side and bottom as intake and the top rad and rear fan to be exhaust. This will create positive pressure.

To be honest three radiators mean hot air is coming inside the case no matter what. The third rad will intake hot air.
I would go with side and bottom as intake and the top rad and rear fan to be exhaust. This will create positive pressure.

Would you recommend doing less radiators then?

2x360 will be a part of custom loop.

1x360 is an AIO attached to the GPU.

Two rads dumping hot air into the case is a bit much for another radiator to intake.
I would go with less rads. The top and rear should always be exhaust so just put a row of fans up there. If you only had one rad, the top is fine.

Each 120mm is about 100W (@1000rpm). Dumping 600W of heat into the case for a 300W rad to intake will degrade performance.
If your system is using about 600W at load, two rads is enough. Two thicker rads may increase watt capacity without having to add a third rad.

https://www.ekwb.com/blog/radiators-part-2-performance/

More Info here:
https://www.ekwb.com/guides/

Last edited:
Two rads dumping hot air into the case is a bit much for another radiator to intake.
I would go with less rads. The top and rear should always be exhaust so just put a row of fans up there. If you only had one rad, the top is fine.

Each 120mm is about 100W (@1000rpm). Dumping 600W of heat into the case for a 300W rad to intake will degrade performance.
If your system is using about 600W at load, two rads is enough. Two thicker rads may increase watt capacity without having to add a third rad.

https://www.ekwb.com/blog/radiators-part-2-performance/

For 3x radiator do you have a case recommendation other than the O11 XL?

I can step down to a 1x360 custom loop and 1x360 AIO on the GPU if you think it's better.

O11 XL is a great case. I almost bought one last week. I think you should keep it because it gives you options for future builds.
I think a full custom loop is better. The AIO is to be used separate from a custom loop. It's one or the other.

For a good 3x rad case, you will need something with individual compartments. Caselabs, which is out of business, were the best options for this.
The Lian Li V3000 is your best bet now.

Last edited:
O11 XL is a great case. I almost bought one last week. I think you should keep it because it gives you options for future builds.
I think a full custom loop is better. The AIO is to be used separate from a custom loop. It's one or the other.

For a good 3x rad case, you will need something with individual compartments. Caselabs, which is out of business, were the best options for this.
The Lian Li V3000 is your best bet now.

Hmm the V3000 is pretty old, not really liking it.

System is a 10900K with a single 2080Ti.

So the top radiator will suffer?

That's why I said keep the O11.

Two rads is fine for that setup. The third rad won't improve temps.
I would put the CPU rad on the side as intake, the GPU rad on the bottom as intake, a row of fans at the top and in the rear as exhaust.

That's why I said keep the O11.

Two rads is fine for that setup. The third rad won't improve temps.
I would put the CPU rad on the side as intake, the GPU rad on the bottom as intake, a row of fans at the top and in the rear as exhaust.

AIO rad must be at a higher point that the pump, because the air bubble can go into the pump block.

AIO rad must be at a higher point that the pump, because the air bubble can go into the pump block.

There's plenty of O11 builds with AIO rads to the side. Just mount it with the tubes at the top.
You can also use the side as fan intake, top AIO as exhaust and the bottom rad as intake for the GPU.

The AIO rad is more than enough for the CPU, 100W more than needed. With the side as intake it could offset the warm air from the GPU rad.

There's plenty of O11 builds with AIO rads to the side. Just mount it with the tubes at the top.
You can also use the side as fan intake, top AIO as exhaust and the bottom rad as intake for the GPU.

The AIO rad is more than enough for the CPU, 100W more than needed. With the side as intake it could offset the warm air from the GPU rad.

So for triple rad

Top exhaust and Bottom intake 360 for CPU
Side intake for GPU AIO cooler (tubes/barbs at the top)

?

So for triple rad

Top exhaust and Bottom intake 360 for CPU
Side intake for GPU AIO cooler (tubes/barbs at the top)

?
Your loop is configured in a way it shouldn't and that's why your having issues.

As I said earlier, you need to choose one, a custom or two AIOs.

Place an AIO on both the CPU and GPU, or a custom loop with a CPU block and GPU block.

In either configuration, only use two radiators.

Your loop is configured in a way it shouldn't and that's why your having issues.

As I said earlier, you need to choose one, a custom or two AIOs.

Place an AIO on both the CPU and GPU, or a custom loop with a CPU block and GPU block.

In either configuration, only use two radiators.
if going gpu wb, where should the two rads optimally be placed?

top exhaust and side intake?

3 rads isnt going impact case temps by more than a couple of degrees. As long as the caseflow is set up properly and your fans arent clogged up or running at 100rpm, your case temps will be fine. Ive been running a 420/360/360 loop for years with excellent case temps. Ive got a temp display heatsink on my m.2(under the gpu) and ive never seen more than 45c on it.
Overkill raddage is fun to set up and it just looks sweet. The cherry on top is nice cool gear.

3 rads isnt going impact case temps by more than a couple of degrees. As long as the caseflow is set up properly and your fans arent clogged up or running at 100rpm, your case temps will be fine. Ive been running a 420/360/360 loop for years with excellent case temps. Ive got a temp display heatsink on my m.2(under the gpu) and ive never seen more than 45c on it.
Overkill raddage is fun to set up and it just looks sweet. The cherry on top is nice cool gear.

So what do you think of the original plan of 2 cpu rad top and bottom, and 1 rad dedicated to GPU on side?

Sounds pretty standard for fan configuration in the XL. I would run with it. If you decide later on you want to add another rad to your loop and retire the aio itll be gravy.

Back